Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is great news all around. I am actually most excited that they have acknowledged that their UI is terrible enough that they will let people upgrade, and I'm delighted for both options.

The new MCU is really forcing them to face their poor UI performance. "Old" or not the Tegra 3 was no slouch when it was released: a quad core ARM CPU and a midrange 2012 GPU. Furthermore it runs a single purpose application that was designed specifically for it at the time it was released. It was slow then; all of you early adopters were saints to put up with something so laggy! I had an in-dash touchscreen PC in my 2003 M3 running on a Via C7 that I assure you could run a basic menu system with zero lag. Something as powerful as a Tegra 3 would have been a dream!

I remember a while back - I almost $h1p'ed myself when i read how much the MCU cost - out of warranty;
"... The MCU (the main 17" touch screen and computer unit) on my 2013 Model S has failed for the second time, this time out of warranty. The first time Tesla replaced it under warranty, but this time it's costing me more than $3,000 ...."
:eek: :eek:
MCU fails for the second time
wonder if the cost has come down any ... if not - maybe yours truly will be keeping an eye open down the road for a new MCU recently involved in being salvaged.

Last edited:
I suspect employees are still being told internally that retrofits are not possible. I think we just witnessed another on the fly decision from Elon, without him checking on the feasibility. Tomorrow, someone in engineering is going to get the assignment to figure it out. The wiring harnesses are different. It will require work.

• Helpful
  • Funny
Reactions: TaoJones and FlyF4
Musk just tweeted today there is upgrade path coming but also said new software code should greatly improve older MCUs. i think this is great move by Tesla. just wondering the price when announced.
He didn’t really say an upgrade path is coming. He didn’t mention retrofit either. He only said you can upgrade the hardware. What he tweeted is open to interpretation. I’ll believe it when I see it. However he did say the software to improve MCU1 is coming. When? Soon, in EM time.

He didn’t really say an upgrade path is coming. He didn’t mention retrofit either. He only said you can upgrade the hardware. What he tweeted is open to interpretation. I’ll believe it when I see it. However he did say the software to improve MCU1 is coming. When? Soon, in EM time.
This weekend, I thought.

I wonder what the delta cost would be if the old MCU broke under warranty and one opted for the new MCU - maybe nothing?

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
This is still conjecture, but it is looking to me like the retrofit would need to be Mirrors (new antennas) + IC + MCU (including the screens) + a special retrofit harness. Maybe the IC screen can stay, but the word is the new MCU runs both displays and the center screen is different than the old one. The good news if they do it is that regardless of the cost they will at least produce the wiring harness and support the conversion in some way.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I'm hoping that a MCU retrofit will also allow an upgrade to the older rear camera. I tried to upgrade just the camera in my 2015 Model S and was told that it was impossible because of incompatible hardware.
Could be. On the other hand, you might have to upgrade the whole car. At this point I'm happy with my P85D from June 2015. I don't think the improvements since then have been significant enough to tempt me to go for a new one. Only the 3G to 4G upgrade was at the right price for me to do that swap out.

Reactions: FlyF4 and jgs
I'm hoping that a MCU retrofit will also allow an upgrade to the older rear camera. I tried to upgrade just the camera in my 2015 Model S and was told that it was impossible because of incompatible hardware.

They say that because they don't support it, but other people have said that you can put the new version of the rear camera in and it works just fine. (I think you can even get one on Amazon for ~$40.)