Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU screen black, car does not wake up. Reboot does not work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have Model S 100D with 2018.32.2. In the last 10 days on 5 mornings the car would not wake up. Door would open but computer would be black. Even scroll button reboot would not work.
Only thing worked was to take off the 12V battery terminal and then wait 40-60 minutes to reconnect. Only then the car would start up and would drive fine.
Has anyone else sees this issue? If yes, want had to be fixed.

This happened to my 85D yesterday. For a scary 3 minutes or so I thought I'd have to get it towed out of the public garage I park in. MCU was dark when I got in, IC looked normal; About 5 seconds after I sat down/touched the controls IC went to "powering up" and stuck there, car wouldn't shift into drive, climate was stuck off and seat wouldn't move.

Particualrly weird since the garage attendant had pulled it out from the basement level about 10 minutes earlier and he said it was fine then.

It did eventually wake up enough to be drivable ("powering up" message on IC disappeared, car could be shifted into drive) but the main screen stayed black until I pulled over after several minutes later and forced a reboot via the steering wheel buttons. Then it _slowly_ went back to normal - last thing to come back was bluetooth several minutes later (climate and nav took a bit too but were quicker).

It's on 2018.32.4 which it just picked up last Sunday - it actually updated twice last week. There has been other odd behavior since a cycle of more frequent updates seems to have started sometime last month; I'm not terribly pleased about it.

I have Model S 100D with 2018.32.2. In the last 10 days on 5 mornings the car would not wake up. Door would open but computer would be black. Even scroll button reboot would not work.
Only thing worked was to take off the 12V battery terminal and then wait 40-60 minutes to reconnect. Only then the car would start up and would drive fine.
Has anyone else sees this issue? If yes, want had to be fixed.

i know its still not normal but I've seen similar issues with energy saving ON and always connected tick mark unticked (OFF). It goes into a "deep sleep" (probably to save power with those options on) that can be very frustrating. Embarrassingly happened to me in 100 degree heat when I had just finished showing off the car. Luckily a few minutes later it started up.

Was it a short interval between when you parked and got back in again? I have much less of an issue like this with energy saving ON and always connected also ON (ticked)

I have in S.C. for a week now. But they don’t know yet.
Most likely it is the MCU. While in the S.C. it died every night but by about 10am woke up again. When it is dead it is undrivable.

It is somewhat easy to get to the battery. No need to take the tub out. YouTube has videos.
Remove large plastic shield, just pull up. Then remove another large plastic piece. It has 3 plastic clips near windshield and 2 pull tabs right and left of tub. Pull also 2 air hoses off (right and left near tub). Then pull up a 3rd plastic duct.
Then you can see the battery terminals.
To remove the whole battery you need to remove the tub though

i know its still not normal but I've seen similar issues with energy saving ON and always connected tick mark unticked (OFF). It goes into a "deep sleep" (probably to save power with those options on) that can be very frustrating. Embarrassingly happened to me in 100 degree heat when I had just finished showing off the car. Luckily a few minutes later it started up.

Was it a short interval between when you parked and got back in again? I have much less of an issue like this with energy saving ON and always connected also ON (ticked)
I have energy savings ON and always connected also ON.
Maybe with the last update it switched to always connected OFF.
Can’t verify this since car is in shop. The update changed a couple of settings. Possibly that one also.

The deep sleep always happens in the middle of the night.

Mystery solved...
Just got the car back after almost 2 weeks at the SC. They had to refer it to the engineers in Palo Alto which ran diagnostics remotely.
They eventually found that the E fuse module had a bad ground connection.
They replaced the module and made sure the ground wire was tight and tested it for 60 hours. The car did not go to sleep as before every night. I checked it myself via the iphone app and also noticed that I could log in for almost 3 days straight.

So, I am keeping my fingers crossed that this really resolved it.
The SC guys were really good and kept me updated every day.

Buena Park, CA.
First I got a Mercedes C300. Drove for a week, but my wife did not like it. So I asked if I could get a Tesla. They had a Model S P85+ (2013) come back in the evening and the gave it to me since they had no idea how long the repair would take.
But I tell you my 100D has much more features and is faster than the P85+

• Informative
Reactions: Jack Tripper