Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU screen bubbles and upgrade to MCU2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got some bubbles on my main MCU screen and I need to replace it, car is under warranty, BUT will they also upgrade MCU itself or it just screen that attaches to MCU? I keep reading some people got new MCUs in the same case, some say Tesla just unplug old screen and plugs new one but MCU itself stays as is... very confused... it would be good if the also upgraded 3G to LTE lol

They will probably just replace just the screen. That's what they did for me when I got the bubbles. No one has ever gotten an upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2, as far as I know. If they did replace the MCU, for whatever reason, it would be another MCU1 (which could very well have LTE), but I think its very unlikely they will do that for a defective screen.

I had my LCD replaced earlier this summer due to a vertical line of dead pixels which suddenly appeared.
The SeC told me that for some cars it would not be possible to simply replace the LCD but it would require to replace the entire MCU. When replacing the MCU it would be replaced with a similar MCU (i.e. MCU1) but with the upgraded LTE module and apparently with a better Bluetooth module/antenna (they simply said Bluetooth connectivity would be improved - not sure about the technical change though).

In my case just the LCD could be replaced not even requiring the cars firmware to be upgraded. Unfortunately, I did not get the latest revision LCD which should have fixed the yellow border issue. So, I guess it will just be a matter of time...
I've got this replacement part:
SX-MCU SUB-ASY, SHIP. OGS DSPLY(1084333-00-B)

The part number for the LCD which presumably no longer has the yellow border issue is 1084333-00-C.

We've had two of ours replaced in the last 6 months (the most recent was right when the v3 LCD display screen came out) and in both cases they remove the MCU from the dash in order to take the screen off and then replace just the screen portion before reversing the removal process. End result: new screen, same MCU.

• Helpful
Reactions: Verranzo
They will just replace the screen.

MCU1 can be replaced by MCU2. My service center has done a few retrofits but it is time consuming.

No more MCU1’s are being made so any MCU failure should get you an upgraded unit. Screen problems do not fall into the MCU failure category though.

• Disagree
Reactions: erik_k and MP3Mike
Oh really? Try and order an MCU1 and let me know how it goes.

From around 7 or 8 months back!
MCU1 Replacement Costs.PNG

Parts catalog for Model S 2016 and newer shows:

1045006-00-H - matches the part description on the quoted invoice (MCU NA PREMIUM - Model S and Model X). same part number as well, just different revision (H vs D), still MCU1, just like @markb1 stated.
1451809-S0-E - MCU ASSEMBLY W/ DISPLAY INFOTAINMENT, NA - sounds like MCU2 to me, since the IC is no longer a separate computer unit, but connects to MCU instead.

Reactions: KyleDay
ok, thanks guys, I have to say my MCU freezes a lot, hangs and reboots for no reason, but as always hard to reproduce when needed, I guess I'll just get the screen replaced since 3G is more than enough for me and MCU2 won't make any difference in my pre ap s85 anyways (well, except games I guess)... thanks guys

I am not able to order the part from Tesla.

And before you ask, I live in a state where we can order parts without question. It no longer exists.

Given Tesla’s demonstrated inability to furnish parts for basically anything, I find this pretty weak justification for the premise that MCU1 is completely gone and all new and refurbished part inventory is exhausted.

As I said originally, there is precisely zero substantiated evidence of a single MCU1 -> MCU2 conversion on a customer’s car. Given the general interest here on that topic, I find it rather absurd to think this is now a regular occurrence and repair procedure and we just don’t know about it.

Oh really? Try and order an MCU1 and let me know how it goes.

I am not able to order the part from Tesla.

And before you ask, I live in a state where we can order parts without question. It no longer exists.

Well maybe that "we can order parts without question" isn't quite what you thought it was. :rolleyes: Or maybe you were using the old/wrong part number? :eek:

As someone just had their dead MCU1 replaced 3 days ago:

Well, my MCU just died 3 days ago. A new MCU was installed. I asked about upgrading to MCU version 2 -- as there were rumors they will do such now. However, I was told this is not the case and they don't do upgrades to MCU 2. Hopefully, this MCU will last at long enough for you guys to conquer this problem... Or maybe Tesla will come up with a better/cheaper fix...

And they are still being told that upgrades to MCU2 aren't being done.

Reactions: ucmndd