Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU & Screen reboot while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently on a 4000 mile road trip with my 2020 MY LR. On several occasions the MCU has rebooted While driving. This has happened just in the last two weeks. Are others experiencing this issue? Any solutions?

Thanks

This happened to us twice on our road trip this last week in our 2018 LR M3. The screen UI would slow down and freeze, then the A/C would kick on high and the screen would reboot. I put a service request in and they sent a firmware update (same version I already had) and said to unplug all the USB devices and install it. I installed it earlier and we'll see what happens. They also said the logs showed a data fault, that's why they resent the update.

This happened to me all the time while driving and noticed it happened while I was getting multiple text messages or group text messages. I disabled the text notification in the settings and have not had this problem ever since. I figured I would turn the setting back on after a new update is available hoping the issue is resolved.

I had it happen today was pulling into a parking lot and went to put the MY in reverse and nothing happened. So I pulled straight in and tried to press park. Didn't work either and then everything shut down. Three minutes later the screen slowly came back on and everything was back to normal. Weird.

Had my screen on my MY go black this summer while I was driving (in a small town, fortunately). It eventually came back on and rebooted itself. Uncomfortable feeling. Before starting out on our last road trip (last week) of 3,345 miles duration I did a preemptive reboot the day before leaving.

Rich

Reactions: Ladybugn
This has happened to me twice in the last week since updating to 2021.44.30.5. It’s very disconcerting because the screen stayEd frozen for a few minutes, then went black for a minute, then showEd the logo and restarted. During those minutes I was without all safety systems (speedometer, blinkers, presumably wipers, etc.) and neither time was I in a place where I could safely pull over. I may hope the next software update removes this bug - I assume Tesla is able to monitor how often cars are forced to reboot with each software release…

Just happened for the first time today after 8 months of ownership. Normal driving (no FSD/no AP) music streaming stopped/froze, black screen, tesla logo and then back to normal. Even though the reboot took under a minute, it wasn't a great feeling driving blind at highway speeds. Fortunately, I was still able to accelerate, steer and break. Also - nothing showed up in the service log. Running 2022.4.5.3