Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU screen yellowing and no UV fix...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All - I have a 2018 Model X that I bought about 3 weeks ago. It was a FL car, so I wasn't super surprised to see the faint yellow halo on the screen. I called my local service center for the UV treatment, took the car in, and picked it up about an hour ago. Unfortunately, while it MIGHT have helped a bit, there is still a very noticeable yellow ring. They told me that the UV treatment doesn't always get rid of the yellowing completely.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Hi All - I have a 2018 Model X that I bought about 3 weeks ago. It was a FL car, so I wasn't super surprised to see the faint yellow halo on the screen. I called my local service center for the UV treatment, took the car in, and picked it up about an hour ago. Unfortunately, while it MIGHT have helped a bit, there is still a very noticeable yellow ring. They told me that the UV treatment doesn't always get rid of the yellowing completely.

Has anyone else had this experience?
Strange! After the uv fix on my 18 X it was gone! I have a little yellow on my IC though no fix for it yet! It was 2 years ago!

Insist on getting the screen replaced under warranty. Tell them numerous owners have had theirs replaced, mine included. They did the UV thing on my 2018, said it helped but it was obvious that it didn't do jack. So I went back in and asked nicely that it be replaced under warranty, which they did. 2018 X, time is of the essence since your warranty is running out this year.

Insist on getting the screen replaced under warranty. Tell them numerous owners have had theirs replaced, mine included. They did the UV thing on my 2018, said it helped but it was obvious that it didn't do jack. So I went back in and asked nicely that it be replaced under warranty, which they did. 2018 X, time is of the essence since your warranty is running out this year.
Yes getting everything I can get fixed under warranty now. When did you get your replacement screen? I feel before the UV treatment "fix" they would replace no questions asked but now seems more like a pain to get them to do it

My 2018 X is at the SC right now for this and other issues. Hopefully, there won't be any yellow edges at all
They did the UV treatment on mine a couple of years ago. It worked fine and is still ok. I had the same problem with the IC display, but at the time, there was no tool available for the ICD. Now the tool is available, so I had them try to fix the ICD (end of warranty sweep).

The UV treatment did not work on my ICD, so they replaced the ICD without even telling me until I picked up the car.

Tesla was still refusing to replace my yellowed screen that didn't improve with the UV treatment. In fact, they told me I was lucky that they didn't charge me for the UV treatment (that didn't work).

I saw on another thread how you can start a case with a national arbitration org. I entered a case (took all of 10 mins), and within 4 days Tesla called me and offered to do a "goodwill" replacement, as long as I signed a document recognizing this as goodwill, and canceling the case. So this is a reasonable path for others who have warranty denied on parts.

Tesla was still refusing to replace my yellowed screen that didn't improve with the UV treatment. In fact, they told me I was lucky that they didn't charge me for the UV treatment (that didn't work).

I saw on another thread how you can start a case with a national arbitration org. I entered a case (took all of 10 mins), and within 4 days Tesla called me and offered to do a "goodwill" replacement, as long as I signed a document recognizing this as goodwill, and canceling the case. So this is a reasonable path for others who have warranty denied on parts.

Yeah that's great until Tesla bars you from doing business with them in the future. Seems like a great way to burn a bridge when there's no realistic alternatives out there in the US.

how is everyone else dealing with the "yellowing" edges on the screen? DIY UV treatment or service center request and what is the out of pocket cost at the service center?
My 2018's main display was de-yellowed twice. My ICD had the same problem, but the UV light treatment did not fix it, so they gave me a new display. all covered by warranty at the time.

Reactions: GasNah