Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU screens distorted after update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 S 75D MCU1 2020.16.2.1

Some screens in the mcu are completely distorted after the latest update. I searched for similar issues and couldn’t find one. This is an example where I clicked on vehicle settings, auto pilot, then clicked one of the “i” buttons for information on an option. Other misc. screens are doing the same thing. I also noticed that response is very slow (10-20 seconds) on certain selections.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

4CD68A68-E9BC-40E0-8426-0B0334559392.jpeg

2017 S 75D MCU1 2020.16.2.1

Some screens in the mcu are completely distorted after the latest update. I searched for similar issues and couldn’t find one. This is an example where I clicked on vehicle settings, auto pilot, then clicked one of the “i” buttons for information on an option. Other misc. screens are doing the same thing. I also noticed that response is very slow (10-20 seconds) on certain selections.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

View attachment 545884
Same with me. 2017 July build. S75D, MCU 1. AP 2.0, enhanced autopilot option with FSD ordered. Did a reboot and seem to be ok but have not driven that much to fully test.

@keithf, @Sixthpilot, we've seen this before. Its rare and not part of the usual symptoms of failing eMMC, but most likely not just bad firmware. Read this. It won't talk directly to this problem, but like I said, we've seen this caused by eMMC. However, look for anything else that the list shows that you car might be doing. To try and rule out firmware, I suggest that you capture one picture and include it when you open a Tesla app trouble ticket request. Ask them to push the same firmware to your car again, and hopefully this will clear it up. However, if it moves to another one of your screens, I believe its a failing eMMC.

There's two things you need to do, at least temporarily. Remove PIN to drive pin and turn off scheduled charging by removing your scheduled charging. If the screen goes blank permanently, scheduled charging usually stops all charging, and you would not be able to enter the PIN for PIN to drive. Get past this problem before you turn either one back on.

@keithf, @Sixthpilot, we've seen this before. Its rare and not part of the usual symptoms of failing eMMC, but most likely not just bad firmware. Read this. It won't talk directly to this problem, but like I said, we've seen this caused by eMMC. However, look for anything else that the list shows that you car might be doing. To try and rule out firmware, I suggest that you capture one picture and include it when you open a Tesla app trouble ticket request. Ask them to push the same firmware to your car again, and hopefully this will clear it up. However, if it moves to another one of your screens, I believe its a failing eMMC.

There's two things you need to do, at least temporarily. Remove PIN to drive pin and turn off scheduled charging by removing your scheduled charging. If the screen goes blank permanently, scheduled charging usually stops all charging, and you would not be able to enter the PIN for PIN to drive. Get past this problem before you turn either one back on.

Will paying for the MCU upgrade update the emmc? Is that the best way to save my $50k car from bricking?

@SixtyPilot, I see you have a 2017 S. Is the MCU upgrade that you are talking about the MCU2 Infotainment Upgrade $2500) ? If yes, is your answer, yes, that's a bigger/newer eMMC that comes in MCU2. Check out tesla.com/support/infotainment for differences you get with MCU2 than staying on MCU1 (2017)

EV-Fixme is also correct. He's talking about refurbishing your MCU - MCU1 with a fresh eMMC/chip that's also is preventative maintenace or fixes a failing eMMC.

Did that answer your question?