Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU shut off every morning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Upgrade to MCU2 kills your AM/FM/XM. The MCU1 tuner is not compatible with MCU2, and Tesla doesn't change it, since it is buried in the dash and it takes a couple of hours of labor to replace it.

Also, MCU2 is technically still subject to flash failure. They just use a bigger part which will last longer, but not forever.

is the MCU in Model 3 the same fate?

Yes - BUT my understanding is that the model 3 liquid cools the MCU and this will probably make a big difference.

That and they have increased the size of the eMMC, probably moved to a higher quality part, and they have reduced the logging. So in current S&X and Model 3 the MCU should last much longer than the 4-7 years that the MCU1s have been lasting the the S.

Did they saw whether it's 3G or LTE? I'd want an LTE upgrade out of the deal.
I actually already have LTE. Paid for the upgrade with referral credits as soon as it came out several years ago. I hear all the refurbished ones they are installing are LTE anyway, but I'll ask just to be sure. Worst case is that they can use the LTE chip I have in my current one.

MCU is now completely dead. Service appointment was scheduled for this morning. That of course got cancelled thanks to the California COVID-19 lockdown. Rescheduled for the 30th, but who knows if that will happen. Blargh.

Car is driveable and still charges to my previously set level of around 70%.

Mike, he has a more detailed report on replaced MCU on Tesla.com. But you are right, on both he only mentions lifetime wh/mi, but I had in my head odometer. My mistake. But it makes me wonder. Where are odometer readings stored if not on the eMMC?

3rd party guys that replace just the eMMC work hard to recover all the info from the eMMC before they pull and put a new chip on. From what I have heard, Tesla just pulls the MCU and puts a new one in and the old one goes back for refurb. Then Tesla downloads new security certificates, car ID files and sometimes updated firmware for the car. But if Tesla doesn't save any files or data from the old eMMC/Tegra card, how would they have odometer stuff? The 3rd party guys don't have access to fresh security certificates so its critical for them to recover all the data they can, which would include the car id files.

Just doesn't make sense - how, - you know?

Mike, he has a more detailed report on replaced MCU on Tesla.com. But you are right, on both he only mentions lifetime wh/mi, but I had in my head odometer. My mistake. But it makes me wonder. Where are odometer readings stored if not on the eMMC?

As far as I know they are stored in the gateway, which is a separate computer that is part of the MCU but doesn't fail with the eMMC, and also in the rear drive unit. I think the rear drive unit high precision odometer is the master, but they are verified to match against each other.