Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mcu Stuck In Reboot Loop. Is It Risky To Travel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my S75D back last Tuesday from the local SC in Montreal (some paint job had to be done).

As I took the car and drove home I noticed the MCU was stuck in a reboot loop. The "T" would appear a few seconds, the it would go black screen, then "T", etc.

I called the SC twice. The second time yesterday they said they would solve the problem by pushing an update over the air within 24 to 48 hours (not sure why they can't do it immediately).

Today I got an email from the SC about possible part replacement, although it's kind of vague (a generic email for people who contacted support? not clear).

Now the big question: I'm going on a small road trip the next 4 days. Maybe 700 miles total. Any risk to driving with the MCU in this state? I'll make use of level2 charging and Chademo (with the adapter) on this trip.

Had a similar problem with my 2015 MS 70D. Thought I needed a new MCU, but Tesla was able to resolve it over the air. I think they cleared some memory files & updated my software.

IMO regarding risks, I don't think there's any to the car itself or the driver/passengers. Just an annoying inconvenience...

Had a similar problem with my 2015 MS 70D. Thought I needed a new MCU, but Tesla was able to resolve it over the air. I think they cleared some memory files & updated my software.

IMO regarding risks, I don't think there's any to the car itself or the driver/passengers. Just an annoying inconvenience...
Just out of curiosity was your car usable while the update was being done? In my case they just mentioned vaguely "in the next 24 to 48 hours". It's been 29 so far and no updates yet. I'll be on the road for 2 hours tomorrow morning.

If it's software problem, I think I am fine with it.

If it's hardware problem that's waiting for parts, I would be hesitant to travel before fixing it.
At this point I have no idea. I guess once the 48 hours delay is passed tomorrow after 5pm, if no software fix occured I'll have to assume it's hardware. But by then I'll be on the road.
As long as I can charge (I know level 2 works fine at home right now) then I'm OK.

Do you have any climate control? The MCU controls much of the car. You can drive with it crashed, but it might not be any fun.

I don't see any mention of a reset being done. That worked for me when I saw a few T's go by on the screen during an MCU crash.

Do you have any climate control? The MCU controls much of the car. You can drive with it crashed, but it might not be any fun.

I don't see any mention of a reset being done. That worked for me when I saw a few T's go by on the screen during an MCU crash.
No climate, no navigation, no data on trip consumption. For the climate it should not be too bad as temps are cool where I'm going (around 70-72F).

The only data working, on the intrument cluster screen, appears to be the SOC, temp, odometer and time. The consumption values displayed are stuck in time. For example the values under "since last charge" are the same as when I got the car last Tuesday. And if I check the position of the car through the app it points to the service center.

No climate, no navigation, no data on trip consumption. For the climate it should not be too bad as temps are cool where I'm going (around 70-72F).

The only data working, on the intrument cluster screen, appears to be the SOC, temp, odometer and time. The consumption values displayed are stuck in time. For example the values under "since last charge" are the same as when I got the car last Tuesday. And if I check the position of the car through the app it points to the service center.
You can operate the climate using the steering wheel scroll wheels.