Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Stuck on Backup Camera

ACVolt

Feb 12, 2015
Greenwood Village, CO
My 2015 Model S is in line to get a new MCU and this week I got a notice to install a new firmware version. After the installation the center screen in my car only shows the backup camera. I have no control over the heat, sunroof, radio, or anything else the goes through the MCU. The dash display helpfully says the center screen is unavailable. The center screen reboots directly to the backup camera display with the remainder of the screen being black. The HVAC does turn on, but I'm not sure what it is set to.

Supposedly the replacement MCU should be in for a 12/11 appointment. I wasn't exactly trilled about waiting a month for the replacement, but having a car with no radio or hvac controls is a little over the top. Has this happened to anybody else?

ACVolt

Feb 12, 2015
Greenwood Village, CO
Figured. Wish there was a way to turn the defroster/defogger on. They offered to let me drop it off tomorrow and get uber credits, but with the pandemic and all I feel safer in my car than with a random Uber driver.

Mattjones828

Jun 27, 2018
Nashville, TN
Figured. Wish there was a way to turn the defroster/defogger on. They offered to let me drop it off tomorrow and get uber credits, but with the pandemic and all I feel safer in my car than with a random Uber driver.
I know this was a couple months ago, but this just happened to me now.. the rear camera view never turns off.. a little nervous about leaving this on nonstop until my appointment. Did you find a way to turn it off? Any other info on what I should be expecting with this wait?

ACVolt

Feb 12, 2015
Greenwood Village, CO
It was on like that for almost a month. The only setting that persisted was the odometer reading. The lack of turn signal sounds was oddly unnerving to me. After getting my car back I have not noticed any burn in on the screen, but my have lucked out by keeping my car in a pitch black garage almost the entire time.

Mattjones828

Jun 27, 2018
Nashville, TN
It was on like that for almost a month. The only setting that persisted was the odometer reading. The lack of turn signal sounds was oddly unnerving to me. After getting my car back I have not noticed any burn in on the screen, but my have lucked out by keeping my car in a pitch black garage almost the entire time.
Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear the screen wasn’t “burned on”, that’s definitely one of my main concerns. Luckily I don’t need to drive it much in the next little bit, so just hopeful they can fix it somewhat quickly.... I may be purchasing some black electrical tape tomorrow, to put on the camera though haha. So thanks for that info!

Chaserr

Hyperactive Hyperdrive
Sep 5, 2017
Logan
The defogger is one of the reasons for recall. Tesla was trying all kinds of tricks to dodge recalling it but only a functional MCU can resolve all the safety issues

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC