Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Stuck on Backup Camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2015 Model S is in line to get a new MCU and this week I got a notice to install a new firmware version. After the installation the center screen in my car only shows the backup camera. I have no control over the heat, sunroof, radio, or anything else the goes through the MCU. The dash display helpfully says the center screen is unavailable. The center screen reboots directly to the backup camera display with the remainder of the screen being black. The HVAC does turn on, but I'm not sure what it is set to.

Supposedly the replacement MCU should be in for a 12/11 appointment. I wasn't exactly trilled about waiting a month for the replacement, but having a car with no radio or hvac controls is a little over the top. Has this happened to anybody else?

Figured. Wish there was a way to turn the defroster/defogger on. They offered to let me drop it off tomorrow and get uber credits, but with the pandemic and all I feel safer in my car than with a random Uber driver.
I know this was a couple months ago, but this just happened to me now.. the rear camera view never turns off.. a little nervous about leaving this on nonstop until my appointment. Did you find a way to turn it off? Any other info on what I should be expecting with this wait?

It was on like that for almost a month. The only setting that persisted was the odometer reading. The lack of turn signal sounds was oddly unnerving to me. After getting my car back I have not noticed any burn in on the screen, but my have lucked out by keeping my car in a pitch black garage almost the entire time.

It was on like that for almost a month. The only setting that persisted was the odometer reading. The lack of turn signal sounds was oddly unnerving to me. After getting my car back I have not noticed any burn in on the screen, but my have lucked out by keeping my car in a pitch black garage almost the entire time.
Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear the screen wasn’t “burned on”, that’s definitely one of my main concerns. Luckily I don’t need to drive it much in the next little bit, so just hopeful they can fix it somewhat quickly.... I may be purchasing some black electrical tape tomorrow, to put on the camera though haha. So thanks for that info!

Figured. Wish there was a way to turn the defroster/defogger on. They offered to let me drop it off tomorrow and get uber credits, but with the pandemic and all I feel safer in my car than with a random Uber driver.
The defogger is one of the reasons for recall. Tesla was trying all kinds of tricks to dodge recalling it but only a functional MCU can resolve all the safety issues

I am having the same issue now, exact same symptoms. I was going to hard reset it, or pull the fuse for the MCU. I'm guessing that probably won't work.

Did the eMMC fix get you sorted out? Did Tesla try to charge anything?

Note: it happened to me yesterday at a supercharger - when I came back to the car, the screen was stuck on the rear backup camera (and has been ever since). I actually was thinking some electrical problem with the supercharger caused the issue - as the first supercharger didn't work, the second one I parked at was only charging at 19kW, and only the third one finally worked (but it was the station itself).

I am having the same issue now, exact same symptoms. I was going to hard reset it, or pull the fuse for the MCU. I'm guessing that probably won't work.

Did the eMMC fix get you sorted out? Did Tesla try to charge anything?

Note: it happened to me yesterday at a supercharger - when I came back to the car, the screen was stuck on the rear backup camera (and has been ever since). I actually was thinking some electrical problem with the supercharger caused the issue - as the first supercharger didn't work, the second one I parked at was only charging at 19kW, and only the third one finally worked (but it was the station itself).
This exact thing happened to me. Stopped at a supercharger got out grabbed some Krispy Kreme’s and when I got back, it was stuck on the back up camera. Car drives but nothing related to the screen works- ac, radio, turn signal sound, etc. the earliest appointment is over two weeks away which is pretty ridiculous. It’s so hot right now and no ac. I’ll report back once I get it checked out.

Hi guys any update on this? My car (2017 75D) was stood for about a month and when I came to it the rear camera was the only thing on the centre screen (permanently even when car exited for 12 hours). Small screen says “Centre Display unavailable” and I’ve tried scroll wheel and 4 button resets but nothing brings back the main screen.

HVAC permanently hot on too which makes driving a problem!

Anything else I can try?