Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU unresponsive after parking in the heat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was just told that my MCU and display needs to be replaced.
Car has been in since Wednesday, and I haven't yet been given an estimated time for completion. I am not in a huge rush to have it returned, but I am actually a bit surprised that this part isn't just kept in stock given how common of a failure it seems to be on the forum lately.

The part availability is usually not the problem. More likely that they don't have the service personnel available to handle the workload. Hope you are in a Tesla as a loaner; downside of that is that service may feel free to take a little longer to get you your car back.

(Am assuming Miami area service centers are as busy as Bay Area ones)

Actually, part availability is a problem. I tried to schedule a screen replacement a few weeks ago, providing a picture of bubbles on the screen as proof of the issue so they could order the part. It turns out that they order the whole MCU when that happens and it took a couple weeks for the part to arrive. Then just when I was about to take it in, they let me know that the MCU was the 3G version when I had done the LTE retrofit a few years ago, so they needed to order the LTE version of the MCU. That was much faster but still took a couple days.

• Informative
Reactions: gg_got_a_tesla
Was just told that my MCU and display needs to be replaced.
Car has been in since Wednesday, and I haven't yet been given an estimated time for completion. I am not in a huge rush to have it returned, but I am actually a bit surprised that this part isn't just kept in stock given how common of a failure it seems to be on the forum lately.

They can't even keep door handles in stock. In fact, parts availability is my biggest concern with Tesla's expansion into the mass market.

My unit, meanwhile, is having issues tuning the radio sometimes, and yesterday hard-reset itself without input right as I turned the car on. Not sure it's relevant or not but I thought I'd mention it since folks are tracking MCU issues.

2013 (Oct) P85. My MCU locked up on me last week... while driving, the navigation map wasn't updating. I tried the scroll button reset and the screen went dark and never came back. Called Tesla and they had me try the reset also. Ended up back home and my Air Conditioning wouldn't shut off, also couldn't charge the car. Spent an hour on the phone with Tesla, multiple tries to reset, no luck. AC ran most of the night, but at one point stopped in the middle of the night - can't turn it back on, can't access anything anymore, even thumbwheels can't access stuff like open sunroof, turn on AC, etc. App can't access the car.

Took it into the Service Center (no Tesla loaners available, using a Hertz rental - they never have loaners available any more) and they notified me they have backordered a MCU for me. Just rolled over 50k miles last month.

I have had various problems with screens freezing, both the instrument cluster and the center screen. Both have been replaced in the past.

Interesting note - Tesla mentioned over the phone to disconnect any USB devices, as they can cause an issue at boot-up, if any of my music has corrupt files.

Very disappointed with Tesla quality lately.

2013 (Mar) P85 here. MCU problem EXACTLY the same as robapodaca above. A/C ran throughout the night. Only difference was I could charge, at least last night. This afternoon didn't charge when plugged into the Tesla fast charger (not supercharger) at the sales center but didn't notice that until I unplugged it. The MCU was just replaced while still in warranty 2 years ago and now out of warranty will cost me $2300. If this will need replacing every 2-3 years that is unacceptable IMO. They need to engineer these better.