Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU upgrade "A" vs "B" kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I scheduled my upgrade appointment and was asked by the Tesla Service team if I wanted a new screen or save $250 and reuse my old one. They told me the new screen was "more responsive and offers smoother functionality". I found that odd and figured the Intel CPU was the only thing that made things faster. But I told them I'd take the new screen anyways.

Later I received an email that they ordered this part:

MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.5 - WITHOUT DISPLAY - NORTH AMERICA
Part #: 9874561-00-B

Clearly this one doesn't include the new screen and should have been Part # 9874561-00-A. That being said, can anyone confirm if the new screen is just a screen or does it improve performance somehow because it has a higher resolution/refresh rate?

Thanks

Is the old screen susceptible to the ooze that leaks out over time (is that the one that you have)? The new screen might possible be the ones that have the yellow border issue. Not sure if this has since been resolved but I'm waiting until my warranty gets closer to expiring before scheduling to get my yellow bordered screen repaired.

I had my MCU2+FSD upgrade done on June 1st. I got the full upgrade (MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.5- NA (9874561-00-A)). I had my display replaced once (maybe even twice) due to the yellow border issue, and then finally had it fixed with the UV treatment back in February of this year. I never had the "screen oozing" issue - I think that was from much older displays than my Sept '17 build car. The one concern I do have about the upgrade and new screen I have is will it be susceptible to the yellow border issue again, as I don't know if the manufacturing issue that caused this was ever truly fixed. I do think that if it happens again, Tesla would be able to fix it with the UV treatment though.

I can say without a doubt the MCU1-->MCU2 upgrade was worth it - my opinion - as it no longer has all the screen update lagging I had before. In combination with the FSD computer update, I also now get all the IC features (cones, road directional markings, stoplights) that I wasn't seeing pre-upgrade. And as a bonus, I now get access to the entertainment options (Netflix, games, etc...) I didn't have before - not really important for me personally. I don't mind giving up the terrestrial radio tuner, as I never used it myself, and the one local station I do listen to is available via a streaming option.

I'm not sure if the 9874561-00-B revision that doesn't include the display replacement would lead to any screen display performance reduction or not.