Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU upgrade and AP3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MCU upgrade has nothing to do with FSD.

If you want MCU2, you pay the $1750.
Actually, I just realized I don't need to pay for a new MCU2 upgrade for the X. I have a 2015 MS 70D that I'm selling that already has the MCU2 upgrade, so I am going to look into what it will take to swap the X MCU1 with the S MCU2. I know programming is going to be the challenge if I did it myself, but has anyone done this before - self-installed a new or used MCU2 from an S to an X? Or perhaps I'll ask service if I can bring both cars in and have them swap MCU units (they'll probably charge $1500...ha!).

Actually, I just realized I don't need to pay for a new MCU2 upgrade for the X. I have a 2015 MS 70D that I'm selling that already has the MCU2 upgrade, so I am going to look into what it will take to swap the X MCU1 with the S MCU2. I know programming is going to be the challenge if I did it myself, but has anyone done this before - self-installed a new or used MCU2 from an S to an X? Or perhaps I'll ask service if I can bring both cars in and have them swap MCU units (they'll probably charge $1500...ha!).
This is probably a bigger job than you anticipate, but someone has done it before:

Reactions: acoburn73
This is probably a bigger job than you anticipate, but someone has done it before:

Yep I found this guy's post and thought "nah, I bet Tesla would do it since they installed the MCU2 in my MS last year anyway".

Service center said nope to swapping MCUs between my two cars. Of course they said once paired with a car, they "can't" be moved to another car. I'm sure they being the proprietors of the firmware and software, it CAN be done. They just don't want to do it because they'd rather see revenue from a $1750 upgrade (of course they are also trying to charge me $2250 even though my X has already been upgraded for FSD beta, so I had to go through that debate with the service center like others in this forum).

I have a 2017 ModelX that in 2020 I paid Tesla $2500 to upgrade to MCU2 in order to run HW3 FSD. I just had the 12 volt battery replaced by Tesla Service at my home, and a day later the black screen bricked the car. I paid to tow the car to Service, and they want to replace the MCU for $2440

$1500 for the MCU Intel HW3 Upgrade for TegraAP2.5-North America (9874561-90-A)
$530 2 hours to diagnose
$413.40 1.5 Hours Replace labor