Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Upgrade - Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He stressed the main limiting factor is the wifi speed. Some jobs took him 8 hours as the customer did not have strong home wifi signal to the car.
Can confirm this. My local Ranger arrived around 4:30pm and didn’t get the software to finish downloading & installed until 11:30pm. Some of that was a software glitch, but even with me tapping into my router and giving my car priority (so it gets all the bandwidth) it was still a slow assed process. He also shared a couple horror stories about other times he’d done this upgrade where he’d had to drive around to find a decent connection for the download. -.-

Current hope is that Rangers will be given Starlink receivers as part of the first closed beta tests so they can get more reliable download speeds.

My 2015 model S 85D with MCU1/AP1 75000km is sitting in the my garage with intermittent function and no turn signals when down.
Appointment tomorrow with Tesla, texted me options...new MCU2 3775 CDN + tax, or refurb MCU 2600cdn +tax (6 week wait).
I have a day to decide, any thoughts?
I do not need Netflix or a faster browser, just something that will last me the life of the car.

My 2015 model S 85D with MCU1/AP1 75000km is sitting in the my garage with intermittent function and no turn signals when down.
Appointment tomorrow with Tesla, texted me options...new MCU2 3775 CDN + tax, or refurb MCU 2600cdn +tax (6 week wait).
I do not need Netflix or a faster browser, just something that will last me the life of the car.

I'd opt for MCU2. Refurbed MCU1 would still have the same write/rewrite limitation and will fail in 3-4 years. That extra $1k+ is worth the cost considering the hassle and time lost ... 6 week wait is a pain. Probably better resale value if you wish to part with it in future.

I would do the MCU2 upgrade — a refurbed MCU1 will have the same performance issues with browser and voice commands, etc.

Curious how the price keeps increasing for this upgrade. I believe it was initially $3310 and now as per this link:
Infotainment Upgrade
it is $3510; do you know why were you quoted $3775?

Maybe that cheaper price does not include labour, the higher quote does. They also was to charge a diagnostic fee quoted at drop off on top of that. I will dispute that. They tried to charge me with a diagnostic fee for a 12v battery replacement that was at end of service.
I will post once I get the car back.

My 2015 S 85D was just done on Saturday. Took a day and a half at service in Vancouver. I would not choose the MCU2 based on my AP1 car, but I plan to keep it and do not want to run into this issue with an MCU1 refurb. They seem to have this mcu2 in stock, the refurb was a 6 week wait. It did come out at about 3900 and change. Screen was replaced as well. Center screen does not get replaced. In hindsight all the fear of main battery life was misplaced, the MCU seems to be the Achilles tendon.

Reporting in -- got the MCU2 upgrade done yesterday along with the AP3 upgrade (from AP2.5). I dropped it off at the Ottawa service center in the morning, got a Model S loaner and was told it would be ready by end of day. They called just after 5 and said it was almost done and that I could pick it up after hours or wait until the morning when they opened. I decided to wait and got it first thing this morning.
All my settings were still there except for phone paring, homelink and home Wifi connection, all of which I expected. I had to drive about 30 minutes around town to calibrate the cameras and a GPS update downloaded as soon as I got home.

The touch screen is very snappy now and the visualizations on the IC are amazing. The firmware was updated by the service center to 2020.24.6.4. I have not had time to play with the new games yet but it is like other people have said -- makes it feel like a new car again.
The total cost was $3510 + tax and this included new screen.

Overall I am very happy. In the past i would have changed vehicles to get the latest and greatest features so this is huge plus for me to have the option of keeping my vehicle and bringing it up close to a new model. I would not be surprised that if we will be given option to upgrade battery packs in a few years as well. This just might be the last car I buy. Telsa really is transforming the auto industry.

Reporting in -- got the MCU2 upgrade done yesterday along with the AP3 upgrade (from AP2.5). I dropped it off at the Ottawa service center in the morning, got a Model S loaner and was told it would be ready by end of day. They called just after 5 and said it was almost done and that I could pick it up after hours or wait until the morning when they opened. I decided to wait and got it first thing this morning.
All my settings were still there except for phone paring, homelink and home Wifi connection, all of which I expected. I had to drive about 30 minutes around town to calibrate the cameras and a GPS update downloaded as soon as I got home.

The touch screen is very snappy now and the visualizations on the IC are amazing. The firmware was updated by the service center to 2020.24.6.4. I have not had time to play with the new games yet but it is like other people have said -- makes it feel like a new car again.
The total cost was $3510 + tax and this included new screen.

Overall I am very happy. In the past i would have changed vehicles to get the latest and greatest features so this is huge plus for me to have the option of keeping my vehicle and bringing it up close to a new model. I would not be surprised that if we will be given option to upgrade battery packs in a few years as well. This just might be the last car I buy. Telsa really is transforming the auto industry.

New screen
New IC also?

Good to see it worked out ok. No issues.

Thanks

Anyone in GTA got mcu2 retrofitted? Service advisor told me they are still waiting for parts to arrive, can't wait!!! :mad:

Let me know if you get scheduled. I want to get mine done as well. Are u getting it done in Mississauga or Lawrence ave? I am waiting to make sure they get sufficient screens to make sure they replace the screen with a newer one as well. Also, I don't have FSD, but I am reading in the other mega thread in main MS forum that people without FSD are also getting the AP3.0 upgrade with the features software locked. I wonder if they will do the same thing for us in Canada or not.

Let me know if you get scheduled. I want to get mine done as well. Are u getting it done in Mississauga or Lawrence ave? I am waiting to make sure they get sufficient screens to make sure they replace the screen with a newer one as well. Also, I don't have FSD, but I am reading in the other mega thread in main MS forum that people without FSD are also getting the AP3.0 upgrade with the features software locked. I wonder if they will do the same thing for us in Canada or not.
nothing from service advisor yet. i think they will upgrade hw3 at same time even without fsd, it is software locked, so might encourage customer to purchase later. But don’t take my word for it, it’s up to Tesla.

Reactions: vraev