Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Upgrade - Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So got my Model X back today with the MCU2 / FSD update completed. Dropped it off Tuesday but it sat at the SvC for 2 days with no work done on it. Told me they got behind on appointments. Then this morning they got busy and by the looks of it, got it done in 3 hours.

When I got the car back, there was a software update waiting to be downloaded. Everything inside was in good shape except the soft top dash trim piece that was unclipped but pushed it back in. Seems ok now expect for one area that pops out a tad. Assume they broke a clip. Car was also not washed. Not sure if it’s across all SvCs but it looks like they don’t wash cars anymore at MTL location.

Invoice doesn’t stipulate it but main screen feels new and is brighter. Of course, it’s much faster than before and the browser is finally usable. Favourites were saved but lost wifi, Bluetooth and home link settings. Ditto with seat positions.

Car calibrated fast as evidenced by the IC circle but it seems to be a partial calibration? Autopilot menu says Smart Summon will be activated once more cameras calibrate. Says 75% complete there but doesn’t seem to be progressing, though I haven’t driven a lot. Also, visualization appears with lights, stop signs and all. However, it’s not allowing me to turn on automatic stopping. Says I need latest maps even though I downloaded new maps right after getting back home with car. Not sure if I need another version of maps still or if it’s tied to the extra calibration. Will have to figure that out but overall I’m pleased with it.

I’m on 2020.24.6.9.

So got my Model X back today with the MCU2 / FSD update completed. Dropped it off Tuesday but it sat at the SvC for 2 days with no work done on it. Told me they got behind on appointments. Then this morning they got busy and by the looks of it, got it done in 3 hours.

When I got the car back, there was a software update waiting to be downloaded. Everything inside was in good shape except the soft top dash trim piece that was unclipped but pushed it back in. Seems ok now expect for one area that pops out a tad. Assume they broke a clip. Car was also not washed. Not sure if it’s across all SvCs but it looks like they don’t wash cars anymore at MTL location.

Invoice doesn’t stipulate it but main screen feels new and is brighter. Of course, it’s much faster than before and the browser is finally usable. Favourites were saved but lost wifi, Bluetooth and home link settings. Ditto with seat positions.

Car calibrated fast as evidenced by the IC circle but it seems to be a partial calibration? Autopilot menu says Smart Summon will be activated once more cameras calibrate. Says 75% complete there but doesn’t seem to be progressing, though I haven’t driven a lot. Also, visualization appears with lights, stop signs and all. However, it’s not allowing me to turn on automatic stopping. Says I need latest maps even though I downloaded new maps right after getting back home with car. Not sure if I need another version of maps still or if it’s tied to the extra calibration. Will have to figure that out but overall I’m pleased with it.

I’m on 2020.24.6.9.

What a difference a night makes.

Went back in the car this AM. I was able to turn on stopping at traffic lights and stop signs. I assume the maps that downloaded yesterday needed time to unpack (read that as a possibility in another thread).

Drove another 20 kms. Smart Summon then became available as well as the ability to lane change without confirmation. I guess it did need more time to calibrate certain cameras, perhaps because they are AP2? At any rate, it's all working now.

I also own a Model 3. I'm hard pressed to find a difference in AP handling now. X seems as rock solid.

Well worth the investment. My very expensive X got a new lease on life!

How long you have to wait before your service schedule?
I am told 1 month from ordering parts.

Looking forward for your review

For mine in Ottawa, I placed the request in app on June 29th (Monday) and picked July 2nd as Mobile service date. This was the only option. Received written estimate to approved with a few hours.
On July 2nd, while waiting for ranger, got a call saying parts have to be ordered and it needs to be done in service center. They scheduled me for July 15th with a loaner.
Work was done as scheduled on July 15th and was given an S100D for the duration. I was also hoping for a wash but it came back dirtier with muddy boot prints on the font carpets. That is a minor annoyance at best though.

For mine in Ottawa, I placed the request in app on June 29th (Monday) and picked July 2nd as Mobile service date. This was the only option. Received written estimate to approved with a few hours.
On July 2nd, while waiting for ranger, got a call saying parts have to be ordered and it needs to be done in service center. They scheduled me for July 15th with a loaner.
Work was done as scheduled on July 15th and was given an S100D for the duration. I was also hoping for a wash but it came back dirtier with muddy boot prints on the font carpets. That is a minor annoyance at best though.

Lots of comments about vehicles not being washed. Have you ever seen some of the 15 yr old kids washing vehicles on the big car lots. Dragging hoses over dirty vehicles and wash mitts that look like 30 yr old baseball gloves. They did you a favor.

Lots of comments about vehicles not being washed. Have you ever seen some of the 15 yr old kids washing vehicles on the big car lots. Dragging hoses over dirty vehicles and wash mitts that look like 30 yr old baseball gloves. They did you a favor.

You are correct except Mtl SvC has (or had) a touchless car wash on site. I can tolerate that once in a while to get a clean car.

If it was by hand, I would turn it down for sure. Scratch fest with dirty mitts, improper rinsing, etc.

I don't think that was an official number. It's 300 cheaper if you decide not to not get a new screen. They gave me the option. But with all the older screens failing I decided to get a new one.
what does if you decide not to not get a new screen mean? Maybe you meant to say 'not to get a new screen'

When you upgrade do you not get a brand new LCD ? Or does it retain the old LCD? WIth teh old ones yellowing I'd rather get a new one.

I would like to get this done now as I have a FSD car with 3.0 but MCU 1 and frankly the MCU 1 just feels overworked with sentry and dashcam and a few other things going on that weren't there when it was AP2.0.

My 2015 model S 85D with MCU1/AP1 75000km is sitting in the my garage with intermittent function and no turn signals when down.
Appointment tomorrow with Tesla, texted me options...new MCU2 3775 CDN + tax, or refurb MCU 2600cdn +tax (6 week wait).
I have a day to decide, any thoughts?
I do not need Netflix or a faster browser, just something that will last me the life of the car.

get the upgrade 100%. You'll get improved funcionality, improved resale (marginal) and you won't have the same $2600 problem again in 4 years. No brainer.

So here is an unforeseen issue, the updated software causes the the navigation to mispronounce street names. Not an issue previously. Seems it is trying to phonetically pronounce the names. My family used to make fun of our BMW doing this, not so funny when my model S does it after spending $$$ to upgrade to MCU2.

Hey guys,
I just spoke to tesla service in Mississauga, ON and they are saying the AP2.5 upgrade to MCU kit does NOT include the IC2 upgrade. Is that correct? I kept insisting that I have been reading that the IC also gets upgraded, but the service rep kept claiming that is only the case if you have a pre-AP MCU1/AP1 MCU car. Is that right?
Thanks
V

Hey guys,
I just spoke to tesla service in Mississauga, ON and they are saying the AP2.5 upgrade to MCU kit does NOT include the IC2 upgrade. Is that correct? I kept insisting that I have been reading that the IC also gets upgraded, but the service rep kept claiming that is only the case if you have a pre-AP MCU1/AP1 MCU car. Is that right?
Thanks
V
Whats IC2 stand for

Instrument Cluster?

Both my instrument cluster and Middle screen were replaced on mine. It wasn't part of the MCU or FSD upgrade though. It was an option that they gave me. It was an additional 300 to have both upgraded on my AP2.0. If you are on AP2.5 you could already have the newer screens installed and might not see any difference. The screens compared to my older original 2017 AP2.0 MCU1 are much more crisp and resolution is better.

• Informative
Reactions: vraev
Not sure. I know the binnacle display is different between AP2.0 and AP2.5+, since the earlier version had separate hardware running the binnacle display and the later version had the binnacle and MCU screen both run by consolidated hardware.

I was under the impression that the MCU upgrade wouldn’t touch the binnacle hardware, just a straight swap/upgrade of the touchscreen hardware. Can anyone who’s had the upgrade confirm that?

Brought my car in yesterday August 6th to Railside Service in Toronto and had the MCU2 upgrade done for my Model X. They did not have loaners available and gave me an Uber credit. Dropped it off in the morning and they were done by late afternoon.

Reactions: SmartElectric