Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Upgrade - Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got mine done today as well, almost same experience as yours. Seem like their system got screw up on invoice, I had to give my credit card info to them, don't feel safe this way, but was raining and rushed... Now park at home, but my app still saying "In Service". Don't have time to test today, will drive around tomorrow and see if everything is working. Btw, my car doesn't seem to sleep at all by checking router activity, been 6 hours already...

Yes raining when I picked up the car.
I did not check outside the car. Exterior. Rim rashes. At least it is fairly easy to refinish. If it was body it can be expensive.

I know the screen feels different to the touch.
looks like screen protector has been peeled off.

Will check tomorrow morning.

The rear camera is darker as mentioned by others.
I did check the phone apps. Lock and unlock.

I am downloading 2020.32.2 right now.

Voice commands works great now.

Reactions: vraev
installed 2020.32.2
similar to 2020.32.1

Only difference I notice about 10 minutes drive to office. Car on autopilot does not ask for confirmation, mind you I was following traffic.
But I recalled while following traffic, I still get the notifications about 200m from lights...100m.
Now no notifications at all.

I know 2020.32.2 is very new I see it started yesterday. only 7 install I think.
Just did the MCU2 Upgrade yesterday

Overall happy I did the mcu2.

Rear camera is a lot better during the the day.
At night it is darker, MCu1 is better at night.

Anyone can advise on hifi settings? I have ultra. Sounds ok. I have all on zero.
I did not play with the settings yet.

Cheers.

installed 2020.32.2
similar to 2020.32.1

Only difference I notice about 10 minutes drive to office. Car on autopilot does not ask for confirmation, mind you I was following traffic.
But I recalled while following traffic, I still get the notifications about 200m from lights...100m.

I know 2020.32.2 is very new I see it started yesterday. only 7 install I think.

Anyone can advise on hifi settings? I have ultra. Sounds ok. I have all on zero.

Cheers.

Glad you are enjoying it. The sound setting depends on your taste in music. My personal taste is higher bass and I have 9 on the bass scale and a general "v" tick shape (flipped horizontally with low 1 or 2 value boosted on treble. I personally also have to change the balance to the rear (the crosshair is shifted in between rear seats and the back of my seat) to get a sense of audio from the rear speakers. I have always had to do this since I had the car and it seems like MCU2 had magnified the weakness or general loudness of the rear speakers.

installed 2020.32.2
similar to 2020.32.1

Cheers.
Installed 2020.32.2 as well, all my favorite radio stations are in tune-in, internet speed seem a lot faster. I don't feel rear cam is darker tho, looks the same to me, browser finally working, and now I can watch YouTube while supercharging, haha!!, man, this is the way entertainment system should be, very happy with the retrofit so far.

• Love
Installed 2020.32.2 as well, all my favorite radio stations are in tune-in, internet speed seem a lot faster. I don't feel rear cam is darker tho, looks the same to me, browser finally working, and now I can watch YouTube while supercharging, haha!!, man, this is the way entertainment system should be, very happy with the retrofit so far.

Rear camera is ok during the day.
At night Mcu1 is better
Tune in you have account??
I still get notifications 200m...100m for traffic lights... smoother now.
Voice commands are smooth now, instant.

All good.
Summon works with phone app.
Not on fob, even before.

Rim rashes may have been caused by me, just noticed after I get the car.

Rear camera is ok during the day.
At night Mcu1 is better
Tune in you have account??
I still get notifications 200m...100m for traffic lights... smoother now.
Voice commands are smooth now, instant.

All good.
Summon works with phone app.
Not on fob, even before.

Rim rashes may have been caused by me, just noticed after I get the car.
What tune in account? I didn't login to anything, it came with the car. Now it has better UI in tunein, easier to find stations.

I have an appointment booked at the SC for my summon issue. Currently on 2020.28.6 and it stopped working since the MCU upgrade. I wonder if we can do an update to the Bluetooth antenna or something? I started having some connection issues since 2020.2x.x version over a couple of months ago.

04750F92-65BE-483C-8CD8-0EF633AA4C8E.jpeg FB59B65D-1ADD-46E2-A65D-CF6CC5204BA8.jpeg
Looks like I may need to start pushing for my upgrade sooner than later: it took 15 minutes for my map tiles to load in this morning during my commute.

View attachment 578579 View attachment 578580
Looks like I may need to start pushing for my upgrade sooner than later: it took 15 minutes for my map tiles to load in this morning during my commute.

If that is your reason for the upgrade, from my personal experience, you will LOVE it. That is the primary improvement that makes a huge quality of life upgrade for this car. Also, I cannot get over the speed improvement to the menus/settings pages. It makes such a difference to immediately access it rather than wait for the delay especially when you want to raise the suspension a little.

Reactions: mahagala
If that is your reason for the upgrade, from my personal experience, you will LOVE it. That is the primary improvement that makes a huge quality of life upgrade for this car. Also, I cannot get over the speed improvement to the menus/settings pages. It makes such a difference to immediately access it rather than wait for the delay especially when you want to raise the suspension a little.
I was gonna do it anyway, this just gives me an excuse to bug my Ranger to get it sooner. :p

I just had my upgrade done - Model S 2017 that was initially on MCU1 and HW 2.5.

I only requested the MCU upgrade as I have enhanced autopilot and refuse to pay for FSD at this point as it doesn't add anything substantial to my car. Imagine my surprise when the tech informed me that they upgraded both the MCU and the HW computers.

I am now running MCU2 and HW 3.0.

Upgrade took about 3 hours and communication - while sparse - was on point and smooth. Only issue thus far was Bluetooth and Homelink have to be reset (not a big deal at all).

It's like driving a new car! The speed differential on the screen is unreal and things like voice commands actually work. Seeing stop signs/traffic lights is a nice added feature, but not enough for me to fully believe in FSD yet and spring for the cost.

Thus far worth the almost $4k cost as the old MCU was becoming unusable - which Elon should be embarrassed about considering I purchase my car in Dec 2017 at a cost of almost $120k.

Old thread but this was helpful to read through.

I previously had a 2019 Model 3 with MCU2 + AP3 hardware. Recently sold it and got a 2018 (Feb 2018 built) Model X P100D (MCU1 + AP2.5). Wasn't super familiar about the MCU1 v MCU2 difference. But after using the 3 (and a Y with the Ryzen MCU) my god is this MCU1 slow in the X. To me 3K seems like a bargain to get such an improvement.

Has anyone done the upgrade recently?

I previously had a 2019 Model 3 with MCU2 + AP3 hardware. Recently sold it and got a 2018 (Feb 2018 built) Model X P100D (MCU1 + AP2.5). Wasn't super familiar about the MCU1 v MCU2 difference. But after using the 3 (and a Y with the Ryzen MCU) my god is this MCU1 slow in the X. To me 3K seems like a bargain to get such an improvement.

I did my upgrade about 5 months ago. Best money I have spent on the car in a while. Feels like a new car again (2016 MS 75D)

If you have used the Ryzen MCU in the Y, you may be slightly disappointed with the MCU2. Make no mistake it is a big upgrade from MCU1 for the model x, but I just find that as they keep updating the software, they don't seem to be making good use of their "resource budgets" and the MCU just keeps getting slower. I have experienced the Ryzen MCU in a 2022 Model X and man...the difference is night and day. But hey, if this is a car you plan on keeping for a few years, MCU2 is worth it.....but don't be surprised if within a year or two, Tesla stops supporting new versions of software on this old vertical MCU displays. I feel they are already doing that with the lack of updates to the Energy app.

If you have used the Ryzen MCU in the Y, you may be slightly disappointed with the MCU2. Make no mistake it is a big upgrade from MCU1 for the model x, but I just find that as they keep updating the software, they don't seem to be making good use of their "resource budgets" and the MCU just keeps getting slower. I have experienced the Ryzen MCU in a 2022 Model X and man...the difference is night and day. But hey, if this is a car you plan on keeping for a few years, MCU2 is worth it.....but don't be surprised if within a year or two, Tesla stops supporting new versions of software on this old vertical MCU displays. I feel they are already doing that with the lack of updates to the Energy app.

I agree and know exactly what you mean. I had a Model 3 for over 3 years, and just like other computing devices (phones, tablets, computers, etc) I could feel it slow down with system updates that brought new features, needed more resources, etc. But even then, it still felt miles ahead of where this MCU1 is. I purchased this car needing something larger, it was within my budget, and the older style (vertical) display that felt slower was one of the trade offs I accepted.

I've experienced the Risen MCU in a new X (just briefly) and of course in our Y (though my wife drives it 99% of the time and I try to ignore how quick the UI and interactions are lol). The new X I can't budget for right now, and with the deal that I got on this used X, I'd happily put 3K more into it for this kind of upgrade. Do plan on keeping it for several years.

Just had the MCU upgrade completed on my 2018 X. My goodness what a difference. I'm in shock at how bad MCU1 was in comparison.

Also nice to have side cameras available, FSD visualizations, recent software update, and oddly SiriusXM showing up as an option (didn't have that before, though not that I would likely use it).