Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU upgrade/replacement for early vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla told me they installed MCU2. To install it they had to replace the old bluetooth and internet antennas with the new ones - and charged me for them. Monitor screen is definitely much higher quality than MCU1.

I came across this from teslatap, to check which MCU you have.

Apparently by going to the site from the Tesla web-browser - MCU Tester | TeslaTap - you should be able to verify whether you have been installed MCU 1 or 2.

Which is it?
Not sure to two are mutually exclusive. I don't know about sentry mode, external Bluetooth antennas or 5GHz wifi. A service center could have installed MCU2 by mistake. Supposedly such a mistake happened on an AP2 car and broke. But maybe on AP1 it would be fine. Or maybe someone had pull or was the lucky recipient of an intentional MCU2 retrofit pilot. Still, don't waste your or your service center's time asking for it. Hang tight.

@gasisnasty what do you see if you open the MCU browser here:

jsfiddle.net/qja8wjxc/30/show

Last edited:
fwiw I just got a new MCU replacement for a 2014 P85D and teslatap.com/mcu reports the same info: MCU1 Linux armv71 1160x1920

I forgot abt the fiddle website but does it check and report the same info as teslatap.com/mcu ?

My car is getting the MCU replaced on 2nd March. They will supposedly be replacing MCU1 with MCU1.
I'm a bit annoyed, they wouldn't budge on 50% discount for new part even though it failed within 3 years of ownership because I was over 80,000kms. I'm sure it breaches ACL for an expensive part on an expensive car to last less than 3 years, but I can't be bothered suing for a few grand so I will just pay and get it over with.
Interestingly the MCU1 part price dropped from around $4K to $3K, so made the pill a little easier to swallow. I wonder if the part price drop is related to a pending MCU1/2 crossover.

Reactions: Peterbeans
how do you see the future of replacement MCUs for older cars?

I would hope...

$1000 for MCU1 (refurb) replacements including labor.
Tesla caused it. They shouldn't be making a profit from fixing it.

$3500 for MCU2 upgrades.
MCU croaks, most owners will fork out the extra for Cuphead. Tesla profits. Fine.

Overall Tesla hasn't handled the MCU/eMMC issue well. They caused premature failures and should have been more reasonable with replacement pricing from the start (e.g. $3k Tesla vs. $400 3rd Party). Caused negative PR and offensive to early adopters.

Not having the MCU2 upgrade out by now seems like lost opportunity... or maybe they're just stalling to deplete their MCU1 inventory?

Reactions: ICUDoc and pts260
My 2015 MS MCU is dead and needs to be replaced with the announcement of the MCU upgrades (see link) has anyone had Tesla offer to replace their MCU 1 with the MCU 2 ahead of the roll out schedule in the announcement or am I going to have to wait a month or more to replace it.

Infotainment Upgrade | Tesla
Infotainment Upgrade

My MCU1 was replaced in 2018 under warranty. Even the ‘new’ MCU had issues and they finally resolved it by replacing a component called the ‘gyro board’. So even in Australia MCUs are repairable when it’s in Tesla’s interests.
If they can’t give you a date for an MCU2 upgrade I would push them to look at your existing MCU with a view to repair it to allow you to wait until the upgrade is available.

Reactions: rwpnote3
I’ve got a new MCU1 now, and if anything it is worse than the old one. Voice commands in particular are almost unusable.

80% of the time it just doesn’t register that it’s heard anything during the “listening” phase. The other 20% it painstakingly writes the words one at a time, usually getting the last word wrong :)

It’s almost impossible to reply to SMS. It hardly ever understands what I’ve said.

Just want to let everyone know that if your MCU goes dead on early Model S's, Tesla will not install/program a used MCU from a crashed or salvaged Tesla even if it's the exact same part number and in working order (when pulled from the crashed/salvaged Tesla). So don't be tempted to buy a used one online for about $900 or more, they are worthless landfill.
The only way to replace a dead MCU is with a new one from Tesla - cost $2,700 outside of warranty. One consolation is that they come with a one-year warranty.
Working used MCU's will now go to landfill instead of being used as replacements for dead MCUs. So much for Elon's concern for the environment.
I just picked up my 2015 MS from the service center after having a new MCU 1 installed for $1700. The last few months I kept having to reboot my MCU, then it went completely black. I was hoping they could just reboot, but no luck. They said it was a system failure
I asked about installing the MCU 2 but Tesla said no use since the older Tesla’s do not have the hardware to support new features.
Really disappointed to replace after 5 yrs. service center said they are seeing more older MS come in with MCU failures. Wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

My car is getting the MCU replaced on 2nd March. They will supposedly be replacing MCU1 with MCU1.
I'm a bit annoyed, they wouldn't budge on 50% discount for new part even though it failed within 3 years of ownership because I was over 80,000kms. I'm sure it breaches ACL for an expensive part on an expensive car to last less than 3 years, but I can't be bothered suing for a few grand so I will just pay and get it over with.
Interestingly the MCU1 part price dropped from around $4K to $3K, so made the pill a little easier to swallow. I wonder if the part price drop is related to a pending MCU1/2 crossover.
I just paid $1700 for my MCU1 replacement in Costa Mesa, CA

My 2015 MS MCU is dead and needs to be replaced with the announcement of the MCU upgrades (see link) has anyone had Tesla offer to replace their MCU 1 with the MCU 2 ahead of the roll out schedule in the announcement or am I going to have to wait a month or more to replace it.

Infotainment Upgrade | Tesla
Infotainment Upgrade
Interesting. I also have a 2015 and just had the MCU replaced yesterday due to failure. Service guy said the MCU2 would not be worth it since older models do not have the hardware to support the features in the MCU 2 (cameras/sentry mode/full self driving). I guess it would be better for increased browser and entertainment features.

I also had the MCU replaced on a 2015 model S (AP1) this week, out of warranty. I asked about the MCU2 upgrade and the service center said it wasn't available for AP1 cars, when I asked if he had heard anything about future availability he said:
"I do not hear anything about the AP1 cars. If I have to take a guess the retrofit will not be out for quite some while (a year from now) since they still need to take care of the AP2.0 vehicles and their retrofits come up with all the hardware and harness and then AP 1.0 and collecting a new windshield, side repeaters, B-Pillar cameras, their harnesses (body harnesses, headliner harness, front trunk harness), the HW 3.0 computer, and then lastly the MCU 2.0 upgrade."​
I'm not sure all of that made sense, but it confirms what others have said that an MCU 2 retrofit to AP1 cars would be a big job, it certainly isn't available now, and may not ever be.

Also the cost was $1556 in Southern California, so it seems the cost has come down a lot from the $3000-$4000 that a lot of people keep repeating.

I also had the MCU replaced on a 2015 model S (AP1) this week, out of warranty. I asked about the MCU2 upgrade and the service center said it wasn't available for AP1 cars, when I asked if he had heard anything about future availability he said:
"I do not hear anything about the AP1 cars. If I have to take a guess the retrofit will not be out for quite some while (a year from now) since they still need to take care of the AP2.0 vehicles and their retrofits come up with all the hardware and harness and then AP 1.0 and collecting a new windshield, side repeaters, B-Pillar cameras, their harnesses (body harnesses, headliner harness, front trunk harness), the HW 3.0 computer, and then lastly the MCU 2.0 upgrade."​
I'm not sure all of that made sense, but it confirms what others have said that an MCU 2 retrofit to AP1 cars would be a big job, it certainly isn't available now, and may not ever be.

Also the cost was $1556 in Southern California, so it seems the cost has come down a lot from the $3000-$4000 that a lot of people keep repeating.
Don’t forget this discussion is on the Australian forum, so the $3-4000 numbers are AUD not USD.
The price in AUD recently dropped from $4000 to $3000.

I don’t see how travel affects a computer - I reckon you would have a case for this being replaced under warranty
Fair enough if a ball joint failed it wouldn’t be replaced, but a computer isn’t mechanical

The more you drive, the more the MCU is logging events, and "wearing" out the eMMC memory. Unfortunately that failure tends to happen outside the warranty period.

Tesla seems intent on charging their owners for fixing their design flaws while pocketing some profit.

Per my tag below...