TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

MCU upgrade/replacement for early vehicles

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Blue heaven, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Brian May

Brian May Member

I am skeptical. More likely when you have a car that is essentially a large very heavy brick because the MCU1 failed, you would be willing to pay any price they ask.

• Like x 2
  2. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

Unlikely, if the car's warranty has expired. The other option is to get a "new" MCU1 for $1,400. This will have fresh flash memory, but will eventually meet the same fate as the original MCU1. But by then, most owners would have moved on to a newer vehicle.

3. P100D_Me

P100D_Me Member

People should be made aware before considering the 'upgrade' that the MCU2 has no DAB, FM or AM radio, only streaming or USB for music......stupid engineering choice that one.

• Like x 1
  4. Nuclear Fusion

Nuclear Fusion Active Member

Looks like Tesla have dropped the price for the MCU2 upgrade to US$1750, if MCU1 is still under warranty

• Informative x 1
  5. aaron0k

aaron0k Two failed MCU's on a S40 & S70D; both at 84k.

Who needs AM/FM these days!?

Whaaat? Drive-in theaters are making a comeback? Dang... going to have to pull that 80's Boombox out of the closet and and a fresh pack of D-Cells.

6. tobygriffin

tobygriffin Member

I should probably have realised this, but given the time that has elapsed I thought the upgrade would have been available in Australia by now, but it is still not.

7. PaulW

PaulW Member

25A3386B-CC84-429E-BA65-D1B48428B506.gif Empathise with you. I want to get Sentry mode fully operational in my X

• Like x 1
  8. Forummemeber

Forummemeber New Member

That’s not bad. Where did you get this quote?

9. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Why would they care if the MCU1 is still under warranty?

10. cafz

cafz Member

I guess outstanding MCU1 units still under warranty are a liability for them, so it's worth it to Tesla to kick in a little discount to encourage replacing them with more reliable units?

• Like x 1
  11. Nuclear Fusion

Nuclear Fusion Active Member

A forumite PM’d me. They have since stated its US$1900