Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU upgrade/replacement for early vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I should probably have realised this, but given the time that has elapsed I thought the upgrade would have been available in Australia by now, but it is still not.
25A3386B-CC84-429E-BA65-D1B48428B506.gif Empathise with you. I want to get Sentry mode fully operational in my X

Reactions: Techno-phile
People should be made aware before considering the 'upgrade' that the MCU2 has no DAB, FM or AM radio, only streaming or USB for music......stupid engineering choice that one.

They must have heard you! It looks like they are making a new radio upgrade available too ... Infotainment Upgrade

Is there any way to keep access to AM, FM and Sirius XM radio?
Yes. Later in Q4 2020, it will be possible to retain access to FM radio and Sirius XM radio with an additional Radio Upgrade, which includes the installation of a compatible radio tuner and antennas. It is not possible to retain access to AM radio.

An owner, who was having issues with the MCU in their 2015 S, shared this quote to the TOCA FB page for an MCU2/infotainment upgrade they were offered by the Richmond SC.
I booked a service request to enquire (I hate that you can't phone or email them anymore!) and about an hour later the Alexandra SC rang and left a message telling me that it wasn't available and that I should keep checking online to find out when it will be. WHERE IS THIS MYTHICAL PLACE THAT I CAN CHECK ONLINE????

wtf_tesla.jpg

I got my email for the
Warranty Adjustment Program – Touchscreen Component
SCM-Vhuo_h2biEugE8pm_tgoSXA_LIK7zekQ2KESMp-paQi8gvmZLJ27afr8ZcgeKQMridMQU37KtBB1FTlbENxuX3CAz959Qg7ez3Q7etNJp4cLGjdSz0_3ToSKqXT2JwN10RTSgsQmEV_uQHFftdrEsGoqEnSRggwIMkgzA-NImTlEkz1YDXj47g=s0-d-e1-ft

Our records show that you own, or previously owned, a Model S or Model X that was built before March 2018. It may be eligible for Tesla’s Warranty Adjustment Program covering malfunction of a memory chip (embedded MultiMediaCard). This malfunction may result in a blank or intermittently blank touchscreen but will not impact the ability to drive your car.
Tesla is providing eligible owners who experience a malfunction no‑cost repairs to this part at any Tesla Service Centre for 8 years/160k km from initial delivery date. If you do not experience a malfunction, there’s no need to take action.
If you have already paid for repairs that meet the conditions of the program, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will send reimbursement details and eligibility by February 2021.
To learn more about the program and its terms and conditions, please click the link below.
LEARN MORE

I had my MCU replaced in Oct'19 then out of warranty, I hope to get a refund.

• Love
Reactions: Shock-On-T
I got my email for the
Warranty Adjustment Program – Touchscreen Component
SCM-Vhuo_h2biEugE8pm_tgoSXA_LIK7zekQ2KESMp-paQi8gvmZLJ27afr8ZcgeKQMridMQU37KtBB1FTlbENxuX3CAz959Qg7ez3Q7etNJp4cLGjdSz0_3ToSKqXT2JwN10RTSgsQmEV_uQHFftdrEsGoqEnSRggwIMkgzA-NImTlEkz1YDXj47g=s0-d-e1-ft

Our records show that you own, or previously owned, a Model S or Model X that was built before March 2018. It may be eligible for Tesla’s Warranty Adjustment Program covering malfunction of a memory chip (embedded MultiMediaCard). This malfunction may result in a blank or intermittently blank touchscreen but will not impact the ability to drive your car.
Tesla is providing eligible owners who experience a malfunction no‑cost repairs to this part at any Tesla Service Centre for 8 years/160k km from initial delivery date. If you do not experience a malfunction, there’s no need to take action.
If you have already paid for repairs that meet the conditions of the program, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will send reimbursement details and eligibility by February 2021.
To learn more about the program and its terms and conditions, please click the link below.
LEARN MORE

I had my MCU replaced in Oct'19 then out of warranty, I hope to get a refund.
I'm in the same boat, had my faulty MCU replaced out of warranty, after much haggling they replaced for 50% cost. Car was 3 years old at the time, but just over the 80,000km.
Hopefully they will send me reimbursement details by February 2021.
When did you get this email?

I'm getting the occasional black screen and some funny artifacts - I had booked in for a replacement MCU1 in Brisbane on the 2nd Dec. I received that email just after booking in. But they aren't interested in replacing it yet - apparently they want to see a hard failure. So we wait and see what happens in the months ahead.