Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Australia' started by Blue heaven, Dec 5, 2019.
$4000 for the MCU upgrade, HW3 upgrade was already included in FSD purchase.
Considering the exchange rate $3500 would be a fairer price. Also they should be offering it cheaper to cars under warranty to save themselves costs when MCU1 inevitably fails
Had the MCU upgrade done yesterday ... what a difference! It's so smooth & responsive compared to the original, and so many great new features!
Hi, At a shade over 70K Kms (and almost the 4 year mark (4 years next Feb) our Tesla MX is off the road at the SC awaiting a remanufactured (ie new chip) TEGRA daughterboard. MCU etc. I hadn't been onto the forum for a while and really hadn't paid attention to the issue that sounds like it is hitting a lot of cars in the US at around the 70K Km (45K mile) mark and that means the early MXs from now on too. This was after the centre console completely failed and then the car became only intermittently driveable (you can drive with no centre console with only basic driver functions - just like an old petrol car - even creep forward when the brake is off stops working). However, after 48 hours of that the car stays in "car off" mode more and more - even with charge (nearly 200Kms left) and even when you do resets. Using the key (which does still work) to lock and unlock while inside the vehicle and manually opening and closing the drivers door eventually (and I mean 10 mins of trying) got the car into driveable mode and I then drove straight to the SC before it failed again as I seriously thought it would need to be towed out of our driveway if I let the car shut down again! The SC staff were very helpful and friendly! Not sure at this point how long we will wait for the replacement part, but the lesson is that as soon as the centre console fails and won't restart (and it will restart once or twice but then goes completely a few days later), get it to your SC and don't wait until you literally can't drive the car.
You should ask them for two prices - one for the MCU upgrade now & one for it after the current MCU is fixed. If they have half a brain, they’ll give you a discount on $4K now
Thanks for the suggestion. Having been happy with it the way it was, I hadn't been thinking about the upgrade, but you're right - and the locals have a brain when head office allows, so worth asking.
It was rumoured that a failing MCU1 could be replaced with a MCU2 for U$1900 in USA.
I am hoping we get a similar offer here.
Get a price?
A fault that could render the car undriveable suddenly with little warning is potentially grounds for a safety recall. They should at a minimum allow pre-emptive replacement of MCU1 in cars with high mileage. IMO, IANAL and all that.
It doesn't render the car undriveable. The main instrument cluster still works, with blinkers and gear changes, charge level and status etc.
I had to wait a few weeks for my replacement, and probably did 1000kms in that time.
Experiences differ. The poster above said 48 hours to an almost complete lockup. Hope I'm one of the lucky ones - my MS is my only car, and I know Tesla's legendary "just-in-time" ordering strategy...
Just yesterday my MS starting popping out its door handles at random every few minutes! (it's set to stay unlocked at home). Is this a known symptom of eMMC degradation? Seems to stay locked when locked, thankfully. Auto-present is not turned on, and they key is nowhere near it when it happens.
Yes, I'm just so surprised when I get into the car and the screen is responsive and it just works. It has been so long
Hi, That's not a regular thing/price. We have seen it reported twice that two different owners got a discount, but we don't know why their SC granted them the discount. We asked the two owners. They don't know either. It was the Las Vegas SC.
Hi, The issue isn't a safety one at first - ie the car was still driveable as noted above, and is only a safety issue when the ability to get the car out of "car off" and able to move becomes a problem - and only then if the car not starting after being parked leaves you parked somewhere dangerous (eg in a clearway in peak hour - luckily not in our case!). Re an upgrade, I didn't ask in the end - I actually had a major Board meeting the first half of last week and needed to focus on it (and had to travel for it, using the loaner (was in Canberra, so at least not Sydney and no Vic Border permit issue when I drove back last week - I chose not to fly to avoid a risk of the plane trip requiring 14 days in quarantine afterwards thanks to a close contact type passenger. So the MX was all fixed under warranty while I was away and is now working just as it was pre the problem (which is of course way better than it was when we got it 4 years ago thanks to all the software improvements since).
The car lost app connectivity and central screen on the Monday evening about 9pm (the app couldn't connect and so kept showing the location of the car at that time - I was driving home from our local supermarket). We drove it in basic mode (not sure the official name) on the Tuesday and Wednesday as I thought we could survive till the Friday when we had it booked in for a service - I hadn't been aware of the MCU issue prior and assumed we had a software bug, not a hardware failure. The service booked some weeks prior scheduled for the Friday was not for this, but to complete a service from pre-covid that had been waiting on a suspension part which was squeaking, but not a safety issue. I'd booked it in now because our lockdown has ended and we are open again and locally covid free (except for the odd inbound arrival hotel quarantine case). On the Thursday morning (so only 60 or so hours after the central screen dropped) the car would not start. My wife tried to get it to start, but gave up after 10 mins and took our other car. I then spent quite a while in two separate attempts at lunchtime and mid afternoon, finally got the MX to power up (as I described above) and then headed straight to the SC. So yes, it was not a lot more than 48 hours from loss of central screen to very hard to get started. They gave me an ICE loaner as I needed a car the following week (hence scheduling the service prior to that week) and it was then the following Thursday (so 7 days) before they had it fixed - as they needed to ship the part in.
So, I downloaded 2020.48.12.1 and now have this message? Coincidently, I'm booked into to have upgrade to MCU2 in a few days.
Does this message mean MCU1 is now maxed out - faulty?
I’m guessing that it is reading a number of bad sectors on your flash drive beyond a limit set by Tesla and issuing a warning.
@meloccom, Not a flash drive.