Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU upgrade/replacement for early vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s possible they're not lying. My display failed on New Years Eve, they ordered the part on the 4th Jan and apparently it hasn't come into stock yet.

My appointment is booked for the 25th, and meanwhile my car's A/C is stuck on 24 hours a day - and so are the seat heaters. Well done Tesla.
Does the car charge, the way I stopped the HVAC, was to disconnect the fireman's loop & 12 volt battery & to re-connect.
There is a fuse you can pull, which one I don't know.

• Disagree
Reactions: OrthoSurg
I had the MCU 2 upgrade (paid $4K+) last week in my 2018 Model X and as others have said, a big improvement. I also had the HW3 upgrade as part of FSD purchase at the same time. My eMMC was failing (coincidentally a week prior to having the upgarde done) so I am hoping for a partial refund when that procedure is announced by Tesla before Feb as per their prior statements.

I noticed that Tesla have annouced a 40% discount on the MCU2 as per link below. It doesn't seem to link through to Aus site yet. This would make the upgrade far more realistic on price, I wonder what my chances are going to be in getting a bigger refund on the $4750 I have aready paid for the MCU2.

Tesla slashes Model S and Model X infotainment upgrade price by 40%

I am still not tempted even with a 40% price reduction, since HW3 upgrade works fine with MCU1 and I now have all the visualisations and FSD features on my S100D ( except no bins or cones).
And MCU2 doesn't have AM or FM radio.
The only feature I miss is displaying sentry videos on the car screen, but I was already used to displaying them on TeslaCam on my Android ( from the early M3 days).

Is there any way of telling what version of MCU is fitted?

Yes there are many ways to tell ... Model S & X built before March 2018 have MCU1, and obviously, builds after that are MCU2, you can also look at Controls > Software > Additional Vehicle Information, under Infotainment processor, it'll have NVIDIA Tegra for MCU1 & Intel Atom for MCU2.
Other clues are, if you have Tesla Theatre (Netflix etc.), Caraoke, Polytopia, Fallout Shelter, Beach Buggy Racing 2, Cat Quest, DashCam Viewer, rear camera dashcam recording and side repeater cameras on reverse, you have MCU2

Last edited: