Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU upgrade/replacement for early vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had an MCU Tegra Update (from eMMC 8GB to 64GB) done at the Sydney (AUS) SC for around AU$500.
Given the positive experience with US and EURO eMMC upgrades via 3rd party repairers I think that this is a more cost effective way to resolve the MCU1 issues compared to the AU$4000 MCU2 upgrade which was offered to me as well.

Are you happy with the performance - ie is it like it was when new?

The message we had was different - it wasn't a storage message but about being unable to restore the centre console and then unable to restore connectivity and driver settings. I can't recall it exactly. Once you got the car powered, early on it gave a message that driving the vehicle might restore settings (I assume because a loss of connectivity could be the result of no mobile coverage, so once you drove into coverage it would fix itself). Of course that doesn't work when it is a hardware failure.

I've had a couple of flurries of glitches/crashes on my MCU1 in my '14 S85 with AP1, and raised a service request to check if the emmc was failing, but the service centre said it looked fine in the logs.
They have now offered me a MCU2/HW3 upgrade for $4000, but it seems like a lot of money to spend on getting games and Netflix that I'll probably barely touch other than when I'm showing off what the car can do.
The upgrade to 4G LTE from 3G connectivity seems like the most useful bit for when the 3G network gets decomissioned in a few years time.
Should I just wait and see if the MCU2 upgrade price drops over time while my MCU1 still isn't actually dead?

I’m considering an eMMC upgrade, which I understand is about $500. See post 104 above. It doesn’t give you LTE/4G but is way less expensive and when 3G closes down I’m pretty sure Tesla will be forced to offer an LTE/4G or hopefully even a 5G upgrade.

Should I just wait and see if the MCU2 upgrade price drops over time while my MCU1 still isn't actually dead?
Could happen with they way the AUD is improving. I also wonder if they'll include 5G in the coming years which may be a better time to do the upgrade.

I've just had my EMMC replaced at 50,000km. While the MCU itself seemed to run ok I noticed that it would no longer save any settings. If I rebooted everything would be back to how it was before. The reboots also took a long time.

I spoke to Tesla service and explained the problem. I asked if they had replacement daughterboards if the EMMC needed replacing. They said they didn't have any in stock but offered to upgrade to MCU2 for $4k. I said I was keen to keep AM/FM and would prefer to see if they could fix it. They thought they could if I brought it in which I did the following day.

They tried to install the latest firmware and it appeared to be installing but then failed. Apparently the EMMC had run out of blocks. At that point they said they had found a daughterboard with new EMMC and I could pick up the car later in the day.

I'm slightly suspicious that they really did have new EMMC daughterboards but are trying to steer people toward the $4k MCU2 rather than repairing the MCU1 units for free.

There really should have been a recall on these flawed chips but instead you need to wait for it to fail and hope it doesn't leave you stranded when it does. It's terrible policy by Tesla for a component with such high failure rates.

Last edited:
At that point they said they had found a daughterboard with new EMMC and I could pick up the car later in the day.

I'm slightly suspicious that they really did have new EMMC daughterboards but are trying to steer people toward the $4k MCU2 rather than repairing the MCU1 units for free.

There really should have been a recall on these flawed chips but instead you need to wait for it to fail and hope it doesn't leave you stranded when it does. It's terrible policy by Tesla for a component with such high failure rates.
You bet they had it there already & that they were trying to force you to get the MCU2 upgrade
I’ve got mine booked in today for the HW3 upgrade & they added MCU2 upgrade for $4K to the service document. I had to get them to remove it
Tesla service is the pits

I had the "Centre Screen Storage Degraded" message a few weeks ago. I booked it in to Brisbane Service, then did a lot of reading and research of others' experiences, replacing EMMC with 64GB board and with new MCU1. By the time I delivered it to service, I decided even if they replaced the whole MCU1 with another one - I'd need to also upgrade to LTE also, so I bit the bullet and paid the $4k - new MCU2.

It is so good, everything works FAST, voice controls are fast, accurate and work, web searches and youtube works well, can easily watch netflix, route planning almost instantaneously - the whole driving experience is more enjoyable.

Is it worth $4k? It is too much money really, it would be great value at 50% of that - but I'd do it again and I don't regret it.

I'm planning to keep my car for several years. Considering the capacity of the MCU2 and the fact that my car only has mono cam/AP1, not 8 cams and sentry mode - MCU 2 should future proof it for some time.

I recommend the MCU2 upgrade, if you can.

20210110_105106.jpg
Screenshot_20210109-113102_Tesla.jpg

Cannot summons. I've been getting this ever since I upgraded to MCU2 - which also coincided the same day with 2020.48.30 update.

One of these must be responsible for this. anyone had similar, after one OR the other.

Cheers

It’s possible they're not lying. My display failed on New Years Eve, they ordered the part on the 4th Jan and apparently it hasn't come into stock yet.

My appointment is booked for the 25th, and meanwhile my car's A/C is stuck on 24 hours a day - and so are the seat heaters. Well done Tesla.