Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Upgrade WiFi Problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else experienced this: Last Thursday I paid for the MCU Upgrade to MCU_2 and everything seemed fine until arriving at home and I couldnt see my WiFi from my parking spot. WiFi Search was spinning and spinning... Never had this issue with MCU 1 over the last 3 years. Also from what Ive read, the 5 GHz band should also be supported - I do not see either of my 5 GHz radios when WiFi searches. I went to show my wife video streaming an I cannot even stream Netflix or Youtube sitting in my driveway next to the house.

So I turned the car around so that the passenger's side mirror was next to the house (4' from the wooden house, not metal, not brick...). could see 1 bar and could then connect to my WiFi that was in the house literally 6' in a straight line from the wall. I am not at the latest FW revision.

Using a WiFi Signal power meter, I could see that the signal at the car, and all around the car was typically better than -64 dBm, ... what this means is that there is absolutely no reason why the WiFi Rx in the car is not able to connect.

Here is a table that shows WiFi signal strengths / power levels vs achievable (loosely) data applications:

View attachment 561653

I am a bit shocked that a new radio module in a new MCU would suffer this sort of issue as it appears to be very similar to Apple's "Antennagate".: Summary (in radio designer language): Crappy receiver performance.

SC says they will speak to engineering - I expect that I am not the only one seeing this issue.

What I would like Tesla to do is to properly trouble shoot the issue (and fix) for: bad or unmatched antenna, 2.4/5 GHz antennas swapped, bad RF front end switch setting, ... is Tesla able to see what is the RSSI (Receive Signal Strength Indicator; one of the most basic radio specs), the power level that the WiFi radio thinks it's receiving? This would be very helpful since if the receiver thinks its getting -85 dBm, but we can clearly measure 20 dB higher around the car then something is seriously wrong and needs to be addressed.

is there an "old" and "new" WiFi antenna?

My LTE seems to have improved. Do we know if the the LTE is sharing the WiFi 2.4/5 GHz antennas?

IMHO it is like the antenna is either not connected or they swapped the 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz antennas - tho I would expect that they are probably using a dual band antenna for WiFi. I would think that LTE is on its own antenna since you need to ensure you do not desensitize the LTE receiver. Do new antennas come with the MCU upgrade kit?

If we could see RSSI that would be a good first start. Anyone know if the RSSI appears in the SC's remote debug screens?

is there an "old" and "new" WiFi antenna?

My LTE seems to have improved. Do we know if the the LTE is sharing the WiFi 2.4/5 GHz antennas?

IMHO it is like the antenna is either not connected or they swapped the 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz antennas - tho I would expect that they are probably using a dual band antenna for WiFi. I would think that LTE is on its own antenna since you need to ensure you do not desensitize the LTE receiver. Do new antennas come with the MCU upgrade kit?

If we could see RSSI that would be a good first start. Anyone know if the RSSI appears in the SC's remote debug screens?
I don't think there are new antennas as they run into the side view mirrors, and my Tesla is fully graphic wrapped, and they didn't not remove the mirror caps to install updated antennas.

I'm thinking they didn't connect the cables to the back of the MCU or the cables are loose. What I would also do is this

Do a Bug Report using the voice command "Bug Report My Wifi is not finding any networks after the Infotainment Upgrade". Once you do that, open up a service ticket using the app and put in the ticket what you said in the Bug Report and also say that you did a bug report and if they can download it and inspect the data. When the triage your ticket, they should be able to download those logs and look at any data it has regarding wifi signal. Hopefully they will call you up to confirm a service center appointment or maybe they can dispatch a mobile tech to your place to help fix it.

I’ve had similar WiFi woes for the better part of the last year and a half. Make a service appointment and ask for them to reflash your WiFi and Bluetooth module. A remote technician did this over the air for me and it seems to have made it better.