Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Upgraders - Heads up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did any of you have an issue getting the parts in for the upgrade? I have been waiting since October 24th for the parts in order to upgrade. Yes, I am happy it is $1000 less...but I just want it upgraded...
  1. MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP3.0 - NORTH AMERICA
    Part #: 9874563-00-B
    Order Date: October 24, 2020
    Ship Date: Pending
I'm waiting on the exact same part.

I have a 2016 X P90D with AP1. Aside from a more responsive screen, is there anything I get from upgrading to MCU2? I guess I could get Netflix and games. But nothing related to visualizations or AP since my AP is 1. And I’d lose FM and XM. Anyone else done this? Thanks.

@ShawnA Thanks! Does it actually bring any functionality other than a faster touchscreen response?

got mine done today. Altho it’s prob worth it , IMO it’s overhyped. I heard the phrases “like a whole new car” and no it’s nowhere near that. It’s just simply more responsive. There are a few new toggles avail in the drive options which I’ll look at again later. Just nothing to write home about.
That said I lost some functionality. I can no longer close any doors or trunk from the fob because the car sensors think there’s something obstructing the sides

I’ve got my upgrade scheduled in 10 days. 2016 P90. Got the email that the parts have arrived.

What I’m most looking forward to is the instrument cluster starting up quickly. My IC takes a while to load up, even after only being away for a few minutes. Of course it seems to always happen when someone is waiting for my spot or something and those moments seem like eternity.

I’ve read that the upgrade will fix this.

Reactions: pilotSteve
But it is exactly like getting a whole new car, you have to configure everything again. In all seriousness, though, I think it really depends how much time you spend messing with the MCU.

I did not have to configure anything again because they did a back-up of your settings before swapping out the mcu. To me it does feel like a new car because the mcu is what you use all the time, change radio station, navigation, texting, voice control... especially voice control since on mcu1 it was so slow you didn't know when to start to speak so the system would recognize it. Maps loaded so slowly that I drove faster than the map could load.

Reactions: Bigriver
Just wanted to put this out there, as I didn't see anything else posted when I searched. I recently had my 2017 Model X (MCU 1, HW 2) upgraded to MCU 2 and HW 3. After getting my car back, I noticed my audio didn't sound "premium" any more (less bass, not as loud on the same volume setting, etc). I noticed my EQ settings now maxed out at 8 instead of 12. I'm coming up on 50k miles so I decided to have a mobile service appointment scheduled to check it out just in case.

Mobile service was out today and they confirmed my suspicion. After the MCU and HW upgrade, my audio was somehow set back to "Base" instead of Premium. The EQ settings didn't matter (all new cars with MCU 2 have EQ settings that max out at 8, whether its Base or Premium) but the sound in my car was in fact not as good as when I dropped it off. The mobile tech verified my concern and is escalating it to engineering for a solution.

Hope this helps someone out that may have had the same suspicion but never acted on it!
The interface changed with the MCU2 - its part of the Intel Atom processor

I did not have to configure anything again because they did a back-up of your settings before swapping out the mcu. To me it does feel like a new car because the mcu is what you use all the time, change radio station, navigation, texting, voice control... especially voice control since on mcu1 it was so slow you didn't know when to start to speak so the system would recognize it. Maps loaded so slowly that I drove faster than the map could load.
Even with AP1? My sense is the changes are far less noticeable with an AP1 car.

Sorry restarting this thread again- does anyone know if the MCU upgrade for $1500 is supposed to include new touch screens or instrument cluster?

2016 MS on AP1/MCU1 - trying to determine if it's worth upgrade to MCU2. Knock on wood so far the MCU1 has been holding up well.

Also does anyone know memory capacity of eMMC flashcard provided in the $1500 upgrade versus the NHTSA recall retrofit of the 8gb mmc?