TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

MCU Yellow Border - Fixed!

Discussion in 'Model X' started by bonnie, Jun 28, 2019.

1. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

There seem to be a few threads on this around the forum, so I thought I'd just post here. I wanted to let the forum know that the yellow border on my MCU is gone.

Bonnie Norman on Twitter (before/after pics)

As I noted in the tweet, be patient. They have developed a tool /fixture that restores the screen - but not all centers have the tool yet (plus I guess some training is involved).

I was lucky enough to be at service on Monday for a wheel alignment while the tool was passing thru temporarily (I guess it’s making the rounds for training purposes.)

BE PATIENT. Just make sure your service center knows you have the issue and would like to be scheduled when they’re ready.

>> If you wonder why I trust Tesla when they say they’re working on a solution, it’s because my experience has always been that when they say that, they are. (Patience is a bitch though, isn’t it?)

2. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Supporting Member

Just saw your tweet and was coming here to mention it. Nicely done.

• Like x 2
  3. bonnie

Now if someone could just let all those negative bears know about it ...

• Like x 3
  4. Joe F

Joe F Disruption is hard.

Their heads would explode! (one can hope...)

• Funny x 7
    • Like x 1
  5. Don TLR

Don TLR Active Member

Oh the crying was non stop :D, I only saw the yellow borders when the screen was too bright for my tastes, turned it down until it went away.

• Funny x 1
  6. arcus

arcus Active Member

Thanks Bonnie! Now, time to move onto the next 1st world problem :)

• Like x 1
  7. DCGOO

DCGOO Active Member

Do you happen to know if that tool works on the IC display too? I have the yellow border on both displays. Not as noticeable on the ICD, because the edge is rarely illuminated. But it is definitely visible. Do you know what that tool is called?

8. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

That's great news for the yellowing border problem. I'd like to see the Gen1 screen bubble issue taken seriously as well. It's even more serious and obviously a design flaw.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. jgrgnt

jgrgnt Supporting Member

Excellent news. Thanks for updating all of us, Bonnie!

10. arcus

arcus Active Member

My friend had his replaced on 2013 P85. Gone are the bubbles, enter yellowing. So now there's a fix for this as well (at last!)

11. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

What do you mean by more seriously? I haven't seen anyone say that Tesla didn't replace a MCU screen that had bubbles/was leaking. (If they were still under warranty, or service agreement.)

12. Matias

Matias Active Member

Are you sure, they just didn’t change your screen : )

• Funny x 4
  13. kavyboy

kavyboy Member

I'm glad I'm not the only person who had that cross their mind. :)
    I'm happy to see this, but reserving some skepticism still. I'm not saying anyone is being dishonest, but I keep hearing Paul Harvey's voice in my head saying "And now you know... the rest of the story."

14. Blitz3RS

Blitz3RS Member

Bonnie thanks for sharing this! You wouldn't happen to have the line item on your service invoice for screen fix? I'm just wondering what they are calling the procedure/task?

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  15. TJtv

TJtv Member

[QUOTE="bonnie, post: 3791833, member: 6348"
    I was lucky enough to be at service on Monday for a wheel alignment while the tool was passing thru temporarily (I guess it’s making the rounds for training purposes.)
    [/QUOTE]

What are the odds of that?;)

• Funny x 2
  16. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Have to admit, hearing some magic tool could fix it seemed odd to me, but glad to hear it is real and works. My 2018 Model X screen was already replaced once and is yellowing again. Not sure why, but my 2013 S lasted 5 years / 100,000 miles with no yellowing issues whatsoever.

17. bonnie

No, sorry - they usually email me the service invoice around now. I'll be happy to share when I get it (alignment was $150).

I'd just make sure that your service advisor has the yellow border noted on your customer account. It's going to take awhile for them to get to everyone, so just knowing you need it done puts you in the queue when they're set to go.

• Like x 3
  18. bonnie

I thought it would be good for people to see it's real. :) My poor service advisor over the past few months ... 'We're working on a fix, Bonnie.' ... 'Okay, soooo maybe you could tell me what I definitely should NOT do to keep from harming my screen so that you'd have to replace it??' -wink wink-

Hahaha. I owe him cookies or something.

• Funny x 1
  19. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

LOL. Just today, John Dixon and I (TOCO) are arranging a pizza lunch for all the Ontario Canada Service Center staff as a token of appreciation. Not sure if cookies were part of the order!

• Love x 2
  20. re04586

re04586 Member

Wow, great news, I had completely brushed off the UV fix as just a stalling tactic.

I would also be interested in seeing a snippet of the service invoice once they send it to you.

Thanks for sharing!

• Love x 1