Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Yellow Border - Fixed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for sharing... looks like an earlier version of MCU screen. Have you experienced any yellowing?

upload_2019-7-10_22-41-10-png.428526
This replacement screen has yet to develop yellowing. This doesn't surprise me, since my first screen didn't yellow until almost 2 years of ownership.

Whatever environmental triggers produce the yellowing would be good to know.

That Tesla equates this with denim stains on white seats is ridiculous. And their stance is simply going to lead to endless arbitration cases and/or a class action. Maybe once all of that sweet, sweet for certain robo-taxi money rolls in, Tesla will magnanimously replace all of the old defective screens.

Read the thread and others. Posted many times. Ends in C

Thanks, but has Tesla officially said the C version does not have the yellow problem? The official word from my Tesla SC in a text was the A rev is used for warranty replacement and the C version is reserved for customer purchase. This makes no sense to me, but that's from the horse's mouth. I would like to have more ammo to fire back at them to get them to replace the A version they just installed with the C version that doesn't have the problem. Of course, when I asked about which versions of the screen had which problems, crickets.

IMG_E5705.JPG

Last edited:
Between Tesla's handling of the screen yellowing (at least offer to repeat the procedure as often needed to keep the yellow abated????) The stance of you only get one treatment then you're on your own is totally and completely unacceptable.

Just like waiting almost 2 months (55 days to be exact) to get a single response back from Customer Service about referrals that don't show on my account from two different friends who purchased this year.

Tesla is not going to survive if they treat their customers like this. I have already decided this will be my last car... PRAYING that Rivian will deliver a decent product, stand behind it, and can somehow figure out a decent high speed charging solution... It won't be long where the only thing differentiating Tesla will be the super chargers and auto pilot (and even that may not last long)

Reactions: jeffro01
According to a Tesla tech I spoke with, the UV procedure effect isn’t permanent. Lasts on the order of time that your screen originally developed the issue.

Oh neat so it's something I'll have to do every 9 months while I own the car.

Per a Tesla lawyer, The UV procedure is offered under good will (not warranty). Tesla believes they don’t owe you a fix or to perform a fix on any timeline.

Yeah, their lawyer can say whatever they want. We'll see what the arbiter and then a judge/jury says if necessary. Though their statements that this is a goodwill fix concern me. If I go in and get it done am I admitting I also consider it a non-warranty issue, because I don't. If they have screens that are yellowing at less than a year old they are defective period.

Per prior posts from Canadian owner out of warranty, the UV procedure costs ~$600.

Per Tesla prior communications, there is a screen part number that doesn’t have this issue. You can buy it for $1,300.

Lol so for me two treatments and I could get a new screen instead nope this isn't working.

I have a hearing date coming up soon we'll see what happens.

According to a Tesla tech I spoke with, the UV procedure effect isn’t permanent. Lasts on the order of time that your screen originally developed the issue.

Per a Tesla lawyer, The UV procedure is offered under good will (not warranty). Tesla believes they don’t owe you a fix or to perform a fix on any timeline.

Per prior posts from Canadian owner out of warranty, the UV procedure costs ~$600.

Per Tesla prior communications, there is a screen part number that doesn’t have this issue. You can buy it for $1,300.

Hmmmm, that $1,300 figure is less than half of the cost I've heard ($3,000). Do you have any Tesla communication confirming that number?

Sounds like teeth whitening. I would hope that the UV light would have finished the "curing" process of the adhesive. But it's weird that it not only shows up later, but is expected to return :(
Some cars get yellow headlights (not talking about France here). You can remove the yellow, but it comes back. We don't actually know that curing is the cause (at least I think we don't).

the "UV Procedure" could probably be emulated with a card board box and a UV flash light for 6-7 hours. If I was out of warranty, I definitely would try that before I pay them 600 bucks.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
If I had the yellowing problem, I'd try the UV light box even in warranty. What's the worst that can happen? Nothing, really. Just try it on a corner of your screen. Don't even need a cardboard box, just something to hold the UV light.

I would recommend using a box just to be sure the light doesn't bleach something else in the cabin. Also if you line it with foil, you may be able to cut the time down if it works.