Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Yellow Border - Fixed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's what I had thought, too. But here's the tweet.

Hmmm???.... I had actually messaged him on twitter before to ask him about this as I am considering my options. I think he misread your tweet.

upload_2019-8-2_22-4-20.png

I have to hand it to Ryan at Tesla - He did a good job at this by ambushing me with what sounded like a settlement offer right at the beginning of the hearing. It flustered me as I was unfamiliar with the procedure or what my rights were since my lawyer didn't see the need to be there costing me money for a non-binding process. He also claimed I treated the Tesla staff unfairly (and heavily implied criminally) by recording my service call with them which further boiled my emotions more than I would like.

This is one of the many things that really irks me about this yellow screen issue. For the most part Tesla has the upper hand and such an unfair advantage. We need them to make the repair, you can't get the part or someone to fix it under warranty at another shop. They just stonewall. Then if you try to fight back by going through arbitration you are pitted against some thug lawyer who has been through the process many times. He knows what lies and mistruths to tell. He knows that he can try to paint us as impatient, greedy, luxury car owners who just can't wait for the benevolent Tesla bestow their magic fix upon us.

I understand that the lawyer is doing his job by trying to protect Tesla from losing the arbitration or from a class action down the road. But it feels unreal to repeatedly see a representative for a company openly treat their customers so poorly.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
My case is on Monday. I’m going to stick to these points.

1) this is a warranty covered issue

2) that Tesla has the ability and obligation to fix this in a timely manner

3) that Tesla owes us a fix that in good faith lasts several years, as it is not reasonable to expect an LCD screen to become yellow over time (see TV warranties, or the other billions of LCD devices out there)

I think these are all very good points. I am sure you have already read the points in Yellow Screen? Force Tesla to replace it! as well. It looked like there was a bunch there about arguing that it is not an environmental / wear and tear issue.

I think it is important to remember that you can/should demand proof of any claims the lawyer is making. If the lawyer says it is an environmental issue... ask for proof. If the lawyer says the UV fix works 100% of the time... ask for proof, ask how many they have successfully completed, how many units are there, what is the backlog, etc etc. If he can't produce evidence to back up one of his claims then it essentially should be discarded from consideration.

I think it is important to remember that you can/should demand proof of any claims the lawyer is making. If the lawyer says it is an environmental issue... ask for proof.

Ironically, if they provide proof that their screens develop yellow borders from sunlight after a few months it would create a worse PR nightmare if it got out. Rumor has it that most people drive their cars in sunlight.

Also, you should assume their lawyer is reading all of this, expect him to be ready. If I was him, I would be tracking this thread closely.

Last edited:
Reactions: rxlawdude
Here’s why Tesla chose to treat us poorly:
Everyone hates customer service. This is why. — The Wall Street Journal

Remember it is a tech company and it probably figured that most of us won’t switch back to ICE just because of the yellow border on MCU. The cost of fixing all screens is much bigger than losing a few customers. Remember GM chose not to fix cobalt and let people die. They’d rather pay the fine because it’s still cheaper than fixing the issue.

Capitalism....

0E828AA9-E64E-4CAC-BC83-11F08D0FFB87.png

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
Now that Tesla has admitted that the the UV treatment is only temporary and only reduces the yellowing, no one should accept accept that as a solution. Demand a permanent fix!

Source: Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

Specifically:
To provide some clarification on what has been previously stated and what you have heard from our Service team: we are still working on the procedure that reduces the yellowing condition. While this will not permanently prevent the yellowing condition, we will provide this to owners still covered under warranty as a one-time goodwill gesture. More details on this procedure will be released soon, and working directly with your local Service team once it has been released will be the best process.

If you choose to take it to arbitration, that quote (don't use my message, use original message that I linked) might prove useful!

Here’s why Tesla chose to treat us poorly:
Everyone hates customer service. This is why. — The Wall Street Journal

Remember it is a tech company and it probably figured that most of us won’t switch back to ICE just because of the yellow border on MCU. The cost of fixing all screens is much bigger than losing a few customers. Remember GM chose not to fix cobalt and let people die. They’d rather pay the fine because it’s still cheaper than fixing the issue.

Capitalism....

View attachment 437644

Thanks for posting. I think this would be a good topic to explore further. At what point does Tesla’s lack of communications (MCU yellow sceen, sudden drop in range for some owners, extreme difficulty in reaching service centers), hit a critical mass that materially impacts the company. This was a concern of @neroden who posted about it, and apparently angered somebody as he PM’d me to say he was banned.

I really enjoy my car, and hope the company succeeds. It’s going to be interesting to see where the company breakpoint is. Don’t know yet which side of it I will be on, when my lease is up.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Anyone had an contact with a service center in New England that knew anything about the (hopefully) coming fix? When i asked about it recently (in for an airbag recall) it was met with confused faces. My yellow boarder is seemingly particularly bad compared to others i’ve seen. It’s kinda embarrassing (for the owner and the company), you’d think that alone would be enough for Tesla to want to remedy it.

It’s worth noting that the loaner i had while mine was being repaired was a MCU2 75D and it too had a yellow boarder.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Anyone had an contact with a service center in New England that knew anything about the (hopefully) coming fix? When i asked about it recently (in for an airbag recall) it was met with confused faces. My yellow boarder is seemingly particularly bad compared to others i’ve seen. It’s kinda embarrassing (for the owner and the company), you’d think that alone would be enough for Tesla to want to remedy it.

It’s worth noting that the loaner i had while mine was being repaired was a MCU2 75D and it too had a yellow boarder.

My May 2018 X has a yellow border. It is quite noticeable.

I was banned for being too critical of Tesla at times. I have had lots of issues with my car and I was vocal many times. I was also one of the ones who purchased my Model S in October of 2016 when they said FSD was coming soon.. (Its 3 years later and I'm still waiting), I also had issues with my vehicle completely failing and being in service for months. Now I am battling the Yellow screen issue for almost a year with no resolve just hearing it will be resolved soon....:(

I just want the maintenance free car that was promised to me with no more failures.

Reactions: sorka
I was banned for being too critical of Tesla at times. I have had lots of issues with my car and I was vocal many times. I was also one of the ones who purchased my Model S in October of 2016 when they said FSD was coming soon.. (Its 3 years later and I'm still waiting), I also had issues with my vehicle completely failing and being in service for months. Now I am battling the Yellow screen issue for almost a year with no resolve just hearing it will be resolved soon....:(

I just want the maintenance free car that was promised to me with no more failures.

No car is maintenance free. But Teslas require less periodic maintenance than ICE cars.

No car is maintenance free. But Teslas require less periodic maintenance than ICE cars.
In theory yes but when you have an electrical problem with a Tesla the car becomes useless. My vehicle would drive and everything would fail. In any case it was in and out of service for months while Tesla blamed me for the issues until an engineer finally realized an issue with the Data Bus. That is in the past because they finally fixed it. Just want my Yellow screen fixed now but they keep telling when when I schedule service they are not ready to fix it yet. Its been documented over a year already.