Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Yellow Border - Fixed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waving UV light over the screen is not a permanent fix.

Why not if it actually cures the glue that's turning yellow? That's what the UV light is doing.

I mentioned in the other thread, anyone that has this problem can try it out themselves. Just get something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/uvBeast-NEW-MIDI-VERSION-Flashlight/dp/B07D6D91FC

Put the glasses on (UV light exposure causes cataracts).. and expose your yellowing MCU sections to the UV light for, say one minute or so, and see if the yellowing goes away or diminishes. Can't do any harm. Worst case it does nothing, best case the yellowing goes away. YMMV, IANAL, use at your own risk. But if my screen was yellowing, I'd try this for sure (I already have a bright UV light).

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Hi Rjdoc74,

You are right that waving a UV light is not a permanent fix...

HOWEVER that is not what Tesla is doing.
They have created a fixture or machine with powerful ultraviolet sources with considerable fans for cooling
so as to not overheat the screen...
The fixture has to be placed over the screen for an amount of time perhaps an hour to
remove the yellow. It may also have "masks" to shield areas of the screen that are
not yellow to eliminate the possibility of damaging those areas.

I have several ultraviolet sources myself, both short wave and long wave. I tried them on
my yellowing screen and none of them
changed or eliminated any of the coloring on my screen.
So I am imagining the Tesla UV fixture will be quite a machine with extremely powerful
UV sources that will need the fans to continuously remove the heat that they generate.

I am not sure whether the UV will accomplish its task by bleaching out the yellow - like the dentist
or that it will cure the adhesive "more" than was originally done and eliminate the yellow.

I am anxious to see their machine and to see the machine in action...

Shawn

They have created a fixture or machine with powerful ultraviolet sources with considerable fans for cooling
so as to not overheat the screen...

It may also have "masks" to shield areas of the screen that are
not yellow to eliminate the possibility of damaging those areas.

So I am imagining the Tesla UV fixture will be quite a machine with extremely powerful
UV sources that will need the fans to continuously remove the heat that they generate.

Where did you find the details of this "machine"?

Where did you find the details of this "machine"?
henning.jpg

Hi Hank,

I gleaned it from all of our available sources including and especially right here on TMC...
Little bits here and there - There are so many "Yellowing" threads both here in X and in the S forum...
I also applied some engineering intuition to all of what I have read.
I have been an Ultra Violet hobbyist for (too) many years...

Shawn

• Funny
Waving UV light over the screen is not a permanent fix.

Since when does an automotive warranty require a permanent fix? Many times the OEMs just kick the can down the road by using the same parts that will fail again because it would cost more to design a new one and discard their existing inventory. (And they know that they will be off the hook once the warranty runs out.)

I gleaned it from all of our available sources including and especially right here on TMC...
Little bits here and there - There are so many "Yellowing" threads both here in X and in the S forum...
I also applied some engineering intuition to all of what I have read.
I have been an Ultra Violet hobbyist for (too) many years...

So, you're making most of it up. Got it.

• Love
Since when does an automotive warranty require a permanent fix? Many times the OEMs just kick the can down the road by using the same parts that will fail again because it would cost more to design a new one and discard their existing inventory. (And they know that they will be off the hook once the warranty runs out.)
Actually, for design defects, remedies by consumers are indeed possible well after any explicit warranty ends.

So, I’m mostly ok with this, except within the Tesla family there isn’t a real aftermarket option to get repairs done. Sure there are a few individuals who are capable, but unless you happen to be close to them, not an option. What do you propose for that?

So, I’m mostly ok with this, except within the Tesla family there isn’t a real aftermarket option to get repairs done. Sure there are a few individuals who are capable, but unless you happen to be close to them, not an option. What do you propose for that?

You knew, or should have known, and been OK with, that before you bought a Tesla. (And you should know that it is likely something will fail out of warranty and require repairs.)

What would you do if anything else in the car failed out of warranty? If it bothers you enough you go to Tesla and get it fixed.

You knew, or should have known, and been OK with, that before you bought a Tesla. (And you should know that it is likely something will fail out of warranty and require repairs.)

What would you do if anything else in the car failed out of warranty? If it bothers you enough you go to Tesla and get it fixed.

My question wasn’t hostile in intent. Sorry if you took it that way. I was actually asking for ideas..

Let’s roll the clock back. I bought my 1st Tesla in April 2015. Sure I did some investigation, but could I have had the foresight to see how things would unfold around support. Come-on. I figured Tesla would take care of stuff, and that was what the general community vibe was. Yes of course I knew there was risk - that’s part of the thrill of being part of an innovation. I’m still ok with most of it, but I am going to reach a point where I will need to have confidence that Tesla will stand behind what they should and/or there are available and reasonable alternatives in the market. I think it is to Tesla’s advantage to create alternatives in the market. Can they continue to vertically scale and be successful? Apple is probably the closest example I can think of, where their ecosystem is mostly closed. And it’s starting to breakdown on them. And there are some other options for support depending on the product.

Still interested in your thoughts, unless you just want to throw stones.

Got a email this morning from Tesla lawyer asking me to please stop the arbitration because the fix is available. Very polite email but I’m not budging. It will go through with the arbitration.

I also received a request to drop the arbitration.

The sum of all of his arguments are “you need to patient and cooperative”, and “The result of arbitration will be the same no matter who wins, you’ll get a fix eventually”.

He’s of course avoiding the entire point of arbitration - to force Tesla to resolve issues in a timely manner. Tesla’s stance on this is clearly coming from some higher-up who’s putting this poor guy through the grist mill. I feel sorry for him.

I also received a request to drop the arbitration.

The sum of all of his arguments are “you need to patient and cooperative”, and “The result of arbitration will be the same no matter who wins, you’ll get a fix eventually”.

He’s of course avoiding the entire point of arbitration - to force Tesla to resolve issues in a timely manner. Tesla’s stance on this is clearly coming from some higher-up who’s putting this poor guy through the grist mill. I feel sorry for him.

Not only that. We all know at this point that UV light is not a permanent fix, but a temporary bandaid.

My car is not even a year old. You think a should be yellow free at least for 4 years or 50,000 miles?

My car is not even a year old. You think a should be yellow free at least for 4 years or 50,000 miles?

And I think no BMW, Ford, Kia, etc. should burst in to flames while under warranty too. But that is the point of the warranty if something fails they will repair it. If it fails again while still under warranty they will repair it again...

But unless he was guaranteeing a repair/replacement in 30 days the outcome isn't the same either way.

I'm sure they have to pay for each arbitration case, so they are trying to reduce costs. But in that case they should be willing to make the same 30-day guarantee. (I don't know what the penalty is if they don't complete the repair within the 30 days arbitration orders...)

Handling it "so much better" would have entailed spending millions to replace customer screens at a time when cash was short. The replacement screens are also just yellowing after some time. Essentially money wasted.

If it was a safety issue, they would have been all over it, but it really is more of a cosmetic issue. Most people faced with paying for the replacement themselves would just live with it until a fix was developed.

Latest reports seem to be that Tesla has developed a quick and inexpensive fix that should be available shortly. Perhaps it was well handled after all.

For starters, they should have never said it's not a defect and therefore not covered by warranty!

Reactions: brkaus
And I think no BMW, Ford, Kia, etc. should burst in to flames while under warranty too. But that is the point of the warranty if something fails they will repair it. If it fails again while still under warranty they will repair it again...

I don’t care what manufacturer it is. I don’t drive Kia or Ford. I buy premium brands for a reason. I never had a bad glue screen issues, seats that fall apart, door latches that fail, with crappy no existent customer service with any of my BMWs or Mercedes. It seems we won’t agree on this in any case. I am going to hold Tesla’s feet to the fire as much as I can. I paid $130k for their product and they will replace the shitty glued yellow screen either through arbitration or an attorney. You do as you please Mike.