Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Yellow Border - Fixed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spoke with the manager of my SC this week. She asked if I could hold off. I stated I wasn't interested in a no ETA prayer. The issue doesn't bother me as much their inability to address it and unwillingness to replace something clearly defective at purchase. Had they not told me that I had to pay for a replacement, I probably would have been more patient initially. That should have never come up at all. I was quite cleared that I paid for a new display two weeks ago when I bought a 100,000 dollar vehicle from them and they provided this defective one. I was told that by the end of this month, they expect to be able to deal with it. So I gave permission for them to withdraw my service appointment and set me up a new one. They withdrew the old one but never setup a new one. They have 1 month to provide this fix. If not, I'll likely be taking the litigation route.

It should also be noted that when they mentioned screen replacement, they stated that it would be with a screen that would no longer have this problem. That seems to imply to me that there are better made screens available.

Crappy service. Crappy “we don’t give a ***” attitude. Makes you feel like a valued customer, doesn’t it?

... If not, I'll likely be taking the litigation route.

It should also be noted that when they mentioned screen replacement, they stated that it would be with a screen that would no longer have this problem. That seems to imply to me that there are better made screens available.

You’ll have to take them to arbitration. But if you lose, or even if you win and don’t Iike the result, you can file in small claims court.

It is 100% BS that they think they can sell new cars with this defect and get away with it.

Reactions: FlatSix911
You’ll have to take them to arbitration. But if you lose, or even if you win and don’t Iike the result, you can file in small claims court.

It is 100% BS that they think they can sell new cars with this defect and get away with it.

I'm Opting out of Arbitration. My lawyer will handle the letter. Anything I do will be likely be filed with the court and be a matter of public record.

For those that have had multiple screens replaced, would you please look back at your invoices and let all know which part numbers are being installed. Have the revision letters increased or stayed the same? Mine was just replaced for the bubbles, but I'm afraid the SC just put another screen in that will eventually bubble again or get the yellow border.
My screen is : SX-MCU SUB-ASY, SHIP. OGS DSPLY(1084333-00-A)

2016 Model X 1st time 9/17, screen only.
ASY,MCU SUB-ASSY SHP OGS DISP AND PKG (1087293-00-A)

2nd time 8/18, replaced whole MCU
MCU,MDLSX,NA PREMIUM,REMAN (1098010-00-D)

Interesting... my first screen replacement was a C-Suffix part number.

upload_2019-7-10_22-41-10.png

Reactions: SigRed12
Right, this is how I felt, which apparently a lot of us are feeling. "We don't have to fix it, but will eventually find something that works. If you want to pay us a bunch of money we can fix it now". Like many, I have this in writing. I know there is a lot of "the new screens don't fix the issue" talk, but I've yet to see someone actually investigate and prove that with model numbers and facts. The FACT is Tesla's statement claims there is a new screen fix, but doesn't feel like they are obligated to repair it. Tesla's statement about a potential UV fix is NOT the issue here, the issue is their communication and dangerous statements about what they'll cover under warranty. They should not be allowed to get away with that.

Tesla, we really do like you, please do better.

I spoke with the manager of my SC this week. She asked if I could hold off. I stated I wasn't interested in a no ETA prayer. The issue doesn't bother me as much their inability to address it and unwillingness to replace something clearly defective at purchase. Had they not told me that I had to pay for a replacement, I probably would have been more patient initially. That should have never come up at all. I was quite cleared that I paid for a new display two weeks ago when I bought a 100,000 dollar vehicle from them and they provided this defective one. I was told that by the end of this month, they expect to be able to deal with it. So I gave permission for them to withdraw my service appointment and set me up a new one. They withdrew the old one but never setup a new one. They have 1 month to provide this fix. If not, I'll likely be taking the litigation route.

But it is a different part number so the revision suffix isn't comparable.

@MP3Mike, What do you mean "is a different part number". His 1084333-00 matches mine exactly (except for the rev number, of course).

@FlatSix911, Did your second screen (Rev-C) also yellow? If so, and if it was replaced, what was it replaced with?

@Krazaak, looks like the SC replaced more than just your Display as the part # you posted is for DISP AND PKG (1087293-00-A) which may very well consist of the 1084333-00 display combined with another part. Hard to tell since neither of your part numbers are coming up in the public parts catalog.

For the record, mine was replaced for the bubbles, ie. leaking fluid problem, NOT for yellowing. I'm just afraid they gave me either another Rev A display that will eventually leak or will yellow, both of which would occur out of warranty.

Last edited:
There seem to be a few threads on this around the forum, so I thought I'd just post here. I wanted to let the forum know that the yellow border on my MCU is gone.

Bonnie Norman on Twitter (before/after pics)

As I noted in the tweet, be patient. They have developed a tool /fixture that restores the screen - but not all centers have the tool yet (plus I guess some training is involved).

I was lucky enough to be at service on Monday for a wheel alignment while the tool was passing thru temporarily (I guess it’s making the rounds for training purposes.)

BE PATIENT. Just make sure your service center knows you have the issue and would like to be scheduled when they’re ready.

>> If you wonder why I trust Tesla when they say they’re working on a solution, it’s because my experience has always been that when they say that, they are. (Patience is a bitch though, isn’t it?)

Its odd that the Costa Mesa Service center that is one of the busiest service centers in the united states hasn't heard of any release of the UV light to fix....

Attachments

• IMG_3133.PNG
    IMG_3133.PNG
    399.7 KB · Views: 91
Its odd that the Costa Mesa Service center that is one of the busiest service centers in the united states hasn't heard of any release of the UV light to fix....

That's because they make stuff up. There is no structure, there is almost no training, it seems every front line employee is on their own. After I bought my first MX in 2016, I remember a showroom employee excitedly arguing with me that perforated UW seats in my car were real leather :). I don't believe anything any of them say from that point on.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
@MP3Mike, What do you mean "is a different part number". His 1084333-00 matches mine exactly (except for the rev number, of course).

@FlatSix911, Did your second screen (Rev-C) also yellow? If so, and if it was replaced, what was it replaced with?

@Krazaak, looks like the SC replaced more than just your Display as the part # you posted is for DISP AND PKG (1087293-00-A) which may very well consist of the 1084333-00 display combined with another part. Hard to tell since neither of your part numbers are coming up in the public parts catalog. For the record, mine was replaced for the bubbles, ie. leaking fluid problem, NOT for yellowing. I'm just afraid they gave me either another Rev A display that will eventually leak or will yellow, both of which would occur out of warranty.

Correct on all counts... my screen was replaced under warranty for an air bubble, not yellowing at the borders.
Still going strong after all of 2 months... :cool:

That's because they make stuff up. There is no structure, there is almost no training, it seems every front line employee is on their own. After I bought my first MX in 2016, I remember a showroom employee excitedly arguing with me that perforated UW seats in my car were real leather :). I don't believe anything any of them say from that point on.
I had a showroom employee tell me the cars were equipped with FSD hardware and were just waiting on the software to make it happen. That’s when I quit believing anything they said.

Reactions: rjdoc74
For safety related issues yes. But for just standard part failures, or cosmetic issues, I haven't seen that happen.
"Actions alleging latent design defects where no accident had been caused by the alleged defect, and no property damage or personal injury occurred, are in essence products liability cases. Their core allegation is essentially that the defendant produced or sold a defective product and/or failed to warn of the product’s dangers."
Schlam Stone & Dolan LLP Delivery of Non-Conforming Goods Creates UCC Cause of Action

• Informative
Got my screen baked with the UV fix today at the Burbank SC. Process works as stated in the original post. It took them about 5 hours or so of applying the UV fix. So the process does indeed work. I asked how long they thought the “fix” would last and they were pretty honest about it. They are not sure themselves since no one knows. I am satisfied with the results and you will be too. Apparently the UV device is being passed around from service center to service center, but eventually they’ll have more in the field to address everyone’s concerns. Be patient, get yourselves on a list, and just wait.

Below is the before and after.
B02B05DB-FA48-4077-835C-F3A305E1FAAF.jpeg

AFTER:
AFF9022C-8A29-4920-8CFB-DEF23842297C.jpeg

WORK ORDER WRITTEN UP AS:
97D015F1-1897-4DE3-81FC-FB9290804039.jpeg

Last edited:
Got my screen baked with the UV fix today at the Burbank SC. Process works as stated in the original post. It took them about 5 hours or so of applying the UV fix. So the process does indeed work. I asked how long they thought the “fix” would last and they were pretty honest about it. They are not sure themselves since no one knows. I am satisfied with the results and you will be too. Apparently the UV device is being passed around from service center to service center, but eventually they’ll have more in the field to address everyone’s concerns. Be patient, get yourselves on a list, and just wait.

According to a Tesla tech I spoke with, the UV procedure effect isn’t permanent. Lasts on the order of time that your screen originally developed the issue.

Per a Tesla lawyer, The UV procedure is offered under good will (not warranty). Tesla believes they don’t owe you a fix or to perform a fix on any timeline.

Per prior posts from Canadian owner out of warranty, the UV procedure costs ~$600.

Per Tesla prior communications, there is a screen part number that doesn’t have this issue. You can buy it for $1,300.

• Informative