Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Yellow Border - Fixed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bonnie

I play a nice person on twitter.
Feb 6, 2011
Columbia River Gorge
There seem to be a few threads on this around the forum, so I thought I'd just post here. I wanted to let the forum know that the yellow border on my MCU is gone.

Bonnie Norman on Twitter (before/after pics)

As I noted in the tweet, be patient. They have developed a tool /fixture that restores the screen - but not all centers have the tool yet (plus I guess some training is involved).

I was lucky enough to be at service on Monday for a wheel alignment while the tool was passing thru temporarily (I guess it’s making the rounds for training purposes.)

BE PATIENT. Just make sure your service center knows you have the issue and would like to be scheduled when they’re ready.

>> If you wonder why I trust Tesla when they say they’re working on a solution, it’s because my experience has always been that when they say that, they are. (Patience is a bitch though, isn’t it?)

There seem to be a few threads on this around the forum, so I thought I'd just post here. I wanted to let the forum know that the yellow border on my MCU is gone.

As I noted in the tweet, be patient. They have developed a tool /fixture that restores the screen - but not all centers have the tool yet (plus I guess some training is involved).

I was lucky enough to be at service on Monday for a wheel alignment while the tool was passing thru temporarily (I guess it’s making the rounds for training purposes.)

BE PATIENT. Just make sure your service center knows you have the issue and would like to be scheduled when they’re ready.

Do you happen to know if that tool works on the IC display too? I have the yellow border on both displays. Not as noticeable on the ICD, because the edge is rarely illuminated. But it is definitely visible. Do you know what that tool is called?

>> If you wonder why I trust Tesla when they say they’re working on a solution, it’s because my experience has always been that when they say that, they are. (Patience is a bitch though, isn’t it?)
That's great news for the yellowing border problem. I'd like to see the Gen1 screen bubble issue taken seriously as well. It's even more serious and obviously a design flaw.

Are you sure, they just didn’t change your screen : )

Bonnie thanks for sharing this! You wouldn't happen to have the line item on your service invoice for screen fix? I'm just wondering what they are calling the procedure/task?

Have to admit, hearing some magic tool could fix it seemed odd to me, but glad to hear it is real and works. My 2018 Model X screen was already replaced once and is yellowing again. Not sure why, but my 2013 S lasted 5 years / 100,000 miles with no yellowing issues whatsoever.

Bonnie thanks for sharing this! You wouldn't happen to have the line item on your service invoice for screen fix? I'm just wondering what they are calling the procedure/task?
No, sorry - they usually email me the service invoice around now. I'll be happy to share when I get it (alignment was $150).

I'd just make sure that your service advisor has the yellow border noted on your customer account. It's going to take awhile for them to get to everyone, so just knowing you need it done puts you in the queue when they're set to go.

Have to admit, hearing some magic tool could fix it seemed odd to me, but glad to hear it is real and works. My 2018 Model X screen was already replaced once and is yellowing again. Not sure why, but my 2013 S lasted 5 years / 100,000 miles with no yellowing issues whatsoever.
I thought it would be good for people to see it's real. :) My poor service advisor over the past few months ... 'We're working on a fix, Bonnie.' ... 'Okay, soooo maybe you could tell me what I definitely should NOT do to keep from harming my screen so that you'd have to replace it??' -wink wink-

Hahaha. I owe him cookies or something.

• Funny
Reactions: sorka and Phlier