Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Yellow Border - Fixed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you mean by more seriously? I haven't seen anyone say that Tesla didn't replace a MCU screen that had bubbles/was leaking. (If they were still under warranty, or service agreement.)
That's the issue. Clearly this is a product design defect, that is affecting all screens, yet, if you drive 60K miles (which I did in 2.5 yrs), you are SOL if it hits.

I just had my power steering bolts replaces out of warranty, as it was a defective design and all of them are likely to fail as a result.

These screens have a defective design and all are going to fail as a result.

That's the issue. Clearly this is a product design defect, that is affecting all screens, yet, if you drive 60K miles (which I did in 2.5 yrs), you are SOL if it hits.

I just had my power steering bolts replaces out of warranty, as it was a defective design and all of them are likely to fail as a result.

Does it "fail fail" if enough of the adhesive oozes out? I have a Bubble Buddy and he's now reached all the way across the top. He's just decorative so far though.

Sorry Bonnie! Kind of related though

Reactions: MP3Mike
Does it "fail fail" if enough of the adhesive oozes out? I have a Bubble Buddy and he's now reached all the way across the top. He's just decorative so far though.

Sorry Bonnie! Kind of related though
I've read the touchscreen becomes unresponsive... but I would be hard to say with a straight face that the touchscreen hasn't failed with a puddle of sticky go sitting in the center area...

Are you sure, they just didn’t change your screen : )

I'm glad I'm not the only person who had that cross their mind. :)
I'm happy to see this, but reserving some skepticism still. I'm not saying anyone is being dishonest, but I keep hearing Paul Harvey's voice in my head saying "And now you know... the rest of the story."

LOL, I'm sure I would have had the same thought cross my mind. But def was a repair using UV and not a replacement. Zero doubt in my mind.

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
I have to wonder...

(a) How bad was your screen before the UV magic was applied?

(b) Will the magic fix last?

I was a scientist and engineer in my past life, and it is very hard for me to see how this can be a permanent fix. My SC told me my yellowing screen was the worst they have ever seen. For the first several months I was told to wait for a replacement screen that will not yellow again. Then a week ago, I was told, "New Rules!" as if Bill Maher was sardonically standing off stage. Now, I've been told by my SC to wait for the magic UV light to make all my yellow problems vanish like a dentist whitening those coffee stained teeth. Color me skeptical until I see the whites of the screen.

P.S. Teeth whitening is a completely different chemical process / reaction than what would be needed to remove the yellow from our screens. The comparison I made was purely for fun, and not fact, or anything else...

IMG_0430.jpeg

I was a scientist and engineer in my past life, and it is very hard for me to see how this can be a permanent fix. My SC told me my yellowing screen was the worst they have ever seen. For the first several months I was told to wait for a replacement screen that will not yellow again. Then a week ago, I was told, "New Rules!" as if Bill Maher was sardonically standing off stage. Now, I've been told by my SC to wait for the magic UV light to make all my yellow problems vanish like a dentist whitening those coffee stained teeth. Color me skeptical until I see the whites of the screen.

My understanding is that the yellowing is from incorrectly cured adhesive that appeared over time - if that's the case, it makes sense that finishing the cure would be permanent.

My understanding is that the yellowing is from incorrectly cured adhesive that appeared over time - if that's the case, it makes sense that finishing the cure would be permanent.

And the engineer in me suggests that completing the curing can indeed be a complete and lasting fix. If there was too much glue originally, or not enough UV applied to cure, then it's obviously a fix.

Reactions: bonnie

Safety and emissions related issues get covered under recalls, bad designs get covered by warranty or your wallet. At least Tesla made a change to fix it in later models instead of just continuing with a screen known to have a high out of warranty failure rate. Pretty sure every BMW I owned had one or more components that you knew were going to fail shortly after the warranty expired.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike and Skipdd
My Service Center hasn't figured out a procedure to test brake fluid to see if it needs to be replaced (a pretty easy, standard test) so they just replace it and charge the owner. I hope they manage to get this magic tool by the time I have the problem...:rolleyes:

My Service Center hasn't figured out a procedure to test brake fluid to see if it needs to be replaced (a pretty easy, standard test) so they just replace it and charge the owner. I hope they manage to get this magic tool by the time I have the problem...:rolleyes:
That's true of virtually every manufacturers service facility I've encountered, obviously dealerships in most cases. They don't actually troubleshoot or fix anything. They read codes, follow a script and replace parts. Service might not be a profit center for Tesla, but that doesn't mean they operate any differently than a traditional dealership service center.

I have to wonder...

(a) How bad was your screen before the UV magic was applied?

(b) Will the magic fix last?

P.S. Teeth whitening is a completely different chemical process / reaction than what would be needed to remove the yellow from our screens. The comparison I made was purely for fun, and not fact, or anything else...

View attachment 424347

Maybe it’s algae or something that can be physically bleached

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Big and elementary question remains:

If it’s a manufacturing problem why is not the supplier in charge of getting this in order (think Takata)

Why do the old cars have no problem and why can’t Tesla revert back to those displays?

Tho I appreciate Bonnie posting here she is never ever a neutral party.