Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Yellow Border - Fixed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bonnie,

How closely have you looked at yours? Mine was NOT fully fixed via this method, I have a thread over in the S section if anyone wants to see more details about their arbitration process (Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!)

Here is an after photo showing the yellowing is still there(note: this is after the second attempt, I forgot to grab photos after the first attempt):

View media item 120095

Mine no longer looks like that either. My screen was baked on 07/15 at the Burbank Service Center and its completely free of any yellowing or haze.

Reactions: bonnie and MP3Mike
File under: of course this ****ing happened.

While my X was AT THE SC for almost five weeks, spending most of its time outside in the heat/sun/humidity, guess what happened to my screen?
IMG_0111.jpg
IMG_0112.jpg

File under: of course this ****ing happened.

While my X was AT THE SC for almost five weeks, spending most of its time outside in the heat/sun/humidity, guess what happened to my screen?
View attachment 434723 View attachment 434724

So prior to leaving it at the SC, you didn't have any detectable yellow border? So this happened in just 5 weeks and all while in their care. Interesting.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
So prior to leaving it at the SC, you didn't have any detectable yellow border? So this happened in just 5 weeks and all while in their care. Interesting.
Yep, it was fine when I dropped it off. I am sensitive to this issue because I had already had a screen replaced for it before. In 11/18.

Concern: Touchscreen has developed a yellow frame on screen near the edges.

Corrections: Media Control Unit - Touch Screen

Removed and replaced touchscreen due to yellow borders. Confirmed part is operating as designed.

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity

SX-MCU SUB-ASY, SHIP. OGS DSPLY, 1RMN (1084333-00-A)

Pay Type: Warranty

• Informative
I've read a lot of accounts that make it sound like the yellowing happened very quickly. Maybe people just notice it after a gradual darkening. But I also wonder if maybe there's a seal that's leaking and letting oxygen or something in and/or something out. That's purely an unsupported theory on my part.

• Informative
Last edited:
  • Love
  • Funny
Reactions: neroden and re04586
I have to wonder...

(a) How bad was your screen before the UV magic was applied?

(b) Will the magic fix last?

I was a scientist and engineer in my past life, and it is very hard for me to see how this can be a permanent fix. My SC told me my yellowing screen was the worst they have ever seen. For the first several months I was told to wait for a replacement screen that will not yellow again. Then a week ago, I was told, "New Rules!" as if Bill Maher was sardonically standing off stage. Now, I've been told by my SC to wait for the magic UV light to make all my yellow problems vanish like a dentist whitening those coffee stained teeth. Color me skeptical until I see the whites of the screen.

P.S. Teeth whitening is a completely different chemical process / reaction than what would be needed to remove the yellow from our screens. The comparison I made was purely for fun, and not fact, or anything else...

View attachment 424347
Kevin, I am a photochemist and like you I cannot understand how this "solution" works and whether it is reversible. My screen went yellow a couple of days ago and I have not had the car for a year yet. I reported the flaw yesterday at our service center. They do not have the tool as yet. Hopefully this solution is not just kicking the can down the road until such time my warranty is expired. I would expect more for a $113,000 car.

The touchscreen is the core of this automobile and if it fails the car is useless.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Oh neat so it's something I'll have to do every 9 months while I own the car.

Yeah, their lawyer can say whatever they want. We'll see what the arbiter and then a judge/jury says if necessary. Though their statements that this is a goodwill fix concern me. If I go in and get it done am I admitting I also consider it a non-warranty issue, because I don't. If they have screens that are yellowing at less than a year old they are defective period.

Lol so for me two treatments and I could get a new screen instead nope this isn't working.

I have a hearing date coming up soon we'll see what happens.
Keep us posted.

This replacement screen has yet to develop yellowing. This doesn't surprise me, since my first screen didn't yellow until almost 2 years of ownership.

Whatever environmental triggers produce the yellowing would be good to know.

That Tesla equates this with denim stains on white seats is ridiculous. And their stance is simply going to lead to endless arbitration cases and/or a class action. Maybe once all of that sweet, sweet for certain robo-taxi money rolls in, Tesla will magnanimously replace all of the old defective screens.
Increasingly looking like a class action will eventually be needed.

Increasingly looking like a class action will eventually be needed.

I increasingly feel like that is the only thing Tesla will respond to. This issue has been going on for years and people were largely placated by screen replacements and Tesla's actually decent service in the past. However, now this forum is full of accounts of owners having Tesla telling them to shove it and just basically being jerks. it doesn't seem like there is any reasoning with them anymore. Customer goodwill will only last so long.

It is curious that if the failure was a seal then it should be yellow where that occurred not uniformly distributed across the entire border. The "baking" process iperhaps is just a photo bleaching of the yellow phosphors. I wonder if any of the dripping displays had this issue.

Mine started to be visible along the top first (in December) then gradually down the sides. It continues to expand now nearly 3/8 of inch (10 mm) thick border all the way around. My ICD has the same problem. While my SC does not yet have the tool to fix it yet, they did say they could not apply the same technique to the ICD.

This pretty much lays out the timeline of my fix, for the doubters here on TMC:

Bonnie Norman on Twitter

Bonnie - With all due respect. I don't know you - all I know is that Tesla is using your experience against me in my case. As if your experience should have any weight on the 60+ days I've waited (and been ignored) by Tesla regarding this issue. Obviously, other far more patient people have waited longer.

I don't recall ever accusing you of being a shill though I'm sure due to the referral program and your high profile community twitter status I assume (maybe wrongly) that you have been provided hundreds if not thousands of dollars in valuable rewards from Tesla.

You can understand from my point of view give the original timeline you posted here:

I was lucky enough to be at service on Monday for a wheel alignment while the tool was passing thru temporarily (I guess it’s making the rounds for training purposes.)

That your service center just happens to have an elusive repair available while your car was already in for service was highly suspicious and would be a major coincidence. Then you had zero invoices and your tweet went on to appear in the manufacturer response to me in which Tesla accused me of not letting them repair the car.

It turns out it wasn't a major coincidence on your part. Your new twitter thread paints that the timeline was reversed from what you initially implied in the original post. In the twitter thread, you state that you were texted first about the yellow band fix and made an appointment for the other work at the same time, erasing the coincidence.

BTW this part of your twitter thread makes no sense:

If you believe this was a plant for some shady purpose like input for arbitration, put your money where your tinfoil hat is: You cover my expenses (travel, parking, dog sitter costs) & I'll show up at arbitration. Under oath. I'm in.

You cover my expenses (travel, parking, dog sitter costs) & I'll show up at arbitration. Under oath. I'm in.

If I actually believed you were a plant for arbitration why would I fly you out to provide input that would obviously be Tesla positive. What I should have done is flown testhrowaway out though... because the Tesla Lawyer argued during the hearing that the feedback on the repair was unanimously resolved... so there is that.

Bonnie - With all due respect. I don't know you - all I know is that Tesla is using your experience against me in my case. As if your experience should have any weight on the 60+ days I've waited (and been ignored) by Tesla regarding this issue. Obviously, other far more patient people have waited longer.

I don't recall ever accusing you of being a shill though I'm sure due to the referral program and your high profile community twitter status I assume (maybe wrongly) that you have been provided hundreds if not thousands of dollars in valuable rewards from Tesla.

You can understand from my point of view give the original timeline you posted here:

That your service center just happens to have an elusive repair available while your car was already in for service was highly suspicious and would be a major coincidence. Then you had zero invoices and your tweet went on to appear in the manufacturer response to me in which Tesla accused me of not letting them repair the car.

It turns out it wasn't a major coincidence on your part. Your new twitter thread paints that the timeline was reversed from what you initially implied in the original post. In the twitter thread, you state that you were texted first about the yellow band fix and made an appointment for the other work at the same time, erasing the coincidence.

BTW this part of your twitter thread makes no sense:

If I actually believed you were a plant for arbitration why would I fly you out to provide input that would obviously be Tesla positive. What I should have done is flown testhrowaway out though... because the Tesla Lawyer argued during the hearing that the feedback on the repair was unanimously resolved... so there is that.

I'm sorry you feel that way. My sole motivation for posting was to let other owners know about the UV fix rolling out.

You assume wrongly regarding compensation. Yes, I've gotten some referral rewards (no free Roadster, though!), but nothing like 'hundreds of thousands of dollars'.

I'm sorry that my personal experience & my delight with the fix has caused you problems. It's sincere on my part. I'm happy to talk to you on the phone or via email. Please reach out. My comments about being accused of being a shill were not directed at you, but rather at the folks (they know who they are) who accuse me and others, as it benefits them.

Bonnie, Tesla also used your tweet in my arbitration case. I have been waiting for 6 months for a fix. I’ve been patient. The Tesla lawyer used your tweet to tell me to be more patient.

The other problem is that, according to a Tesla tech, there’s an internal Tesla Wiki that states the UV fix effect is temporary. The yellow border is likely to return on your screen. So your tweet is being used by Tesla without context, to try to wiggle out of paying for an actual fix.

It would be helpful to everyone who has an outstanding arbitration case if you acknowledged the item above via twitter.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Bonnie, Tesla also used your tweet in my arbitration case. I have been waiting for 6 months for a fix. I’ve been patient. The Tesla lawyer used your tweet to tell me to be more patient.

The other problem is that, according to a Tesla tech, there’s an internal Tesla Wiki that states the UV fix effect is temporary. The yellow border is likely to return on your screen. So your tweet is being used by Tesla without context, to try to wiggle out of paying for an actual fix.

It would be helpful to everyone who has an outstanding arbitration case if you acknowledged the item above via twitter.
So I shouldn't have tweeted about my personal experience?

I totally understand people not happy that my tweet was used - but I tweeted about my personal experience & what I was told at the time. I was thrilled about the fix and wanted to share some good news. And I'm still thrilled about the fix.

Re longevity: Tesla was clear with me that they weren't making promises because they didn't have long-term reliability data yet, not that it was only temporary. Tesla Online Owners tweeted they'd had it done a year ago and still all good.

I'm not sure how else to respond. Should I have not tweeted? Should everyone who has a positive experience check first on the forum before sharing their personal experience?

I'm not happy that I somehow became part of arbitration cases, but I wouldn't do anything differently. I'd like to hear what you think I should have done.

So I shouldn't have tweeted about my personal experience?

I totally understand people not happy that my tweet was used - but I tweeted about my personal experience & what I was told at the time. I was thrilled about the fix and wanted to share some good news. And I'm still thrilled about the fix.

Re longevity: Tesla was clear with me that they weren't making promises because they didn't have long-term reliability data yet, not that it was only temporary. Tesla Online Owners tweeted they'd had it done a year ago and still all good.

I'm not sure how else to respond. Should I have not tweeted? Should everyone who has a positive experience check first on the forum before sharing their personal experience?

I'm not happy that I somehow became part of arbitration cases, but I wouldn't do anything differently. I'd like to hear what you think I should have done.
No matter what you say, some folks are not going to be happy or will take it the wrong way. What you did was fine in my opinion.