Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Yellow Border - Fixed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I shouldn't have tweeted about my personal experience?

I totally understand people not happy that my tweet was used - but I tweeted about my personal experience & what I was told at the time. I was thrilled about the fix and wanted to share some good news. And I'm still thrilled about the fix.

Re longevity: Tesla was clear with me that they weren't making promises because they didn't have long-term reliability data yet, not that it was only temporary. Tesla Online Owners tweeted they'd had it done a year ago and still all good.

I'm not sure how else to respond. Should I have not tweeted? Should everyone who has a positive experience check first on the forum before sharing their personal experience?

I'm not happy that I somehow became part of arbitration cases, but I wouldn't do anything differently. I'd like to hear what you think I should have done.

While I am not happy how Tesla is choosing to handle this, I don’t think you were being disingenuous. I think the Tesla lawyer would have used (and still would) a positive tweet posted by anyone to make their case. It’s on Tesla.

Reactions: Joe F and bonnie
So I shouldn't have tweeted about my personal experience?

I totally understand people not happy that my tweet was used - but I tweeted about my personal experience & what I was told at the time. I was thrilled about the fix and wanted to share some good news. And I'm still thrilled about the fix.

Re longevity: Tesla was clear with me that they weren't making promises because they didn't have long-term reliability data yet, not that it was only temporary. Tesla Online Owners tweeted they'd had it done a year ago and still all good.

I'm not sure how else to respond. Should I have not tweeted? Should everyone who has a positive experience check first on the forum before sharing their personal experience?

I'm not happy that I somehow became part of arbitration cases, but I wouldn't do anything differently. I'd like to hear what you think I should have done.
I think this is one of those times when both "sides" are correct. It's just a bad situation.

To me, this implies that Tesla presently does not have a repair that fixes screens that have already yellowed. They have a POTENTIAL repair, that is very early in it's life that has yet to truly be proven. If my case were in arbitration, I'd try to make this point to the arbitrator in trying to argue that the screen should be replaced with a newer revision of screen that does not yellow(does such a thing even exist?) rather than being subject to an unproven repair technique.

Bonnie, nothing wrong with what you did. But please take ownership that your words are being used against others.

It would be helpful to us for you to take additional action, and simply also state the context in addition to what you've already posted.
I did express sympathy & told them they were free to reach out. I'd be happy to talk 1:1. But I'm not going to apologize for sharing a personal experience. It's like some of you feel it's my fault for being happy over something. Unless you're looking for a 'I'm sorry my screen is white again'.

And I've also given complete context on twitter, including messages w Tesla. Not sure what else you want. What additional action are you suggesting?

Also want to point out that each & every time you ask me a question and I give a straightforward response, it is not helping your arbitration case. My screen is white. I'm a happy customer. There are other customers reporting the same thing, also happy. And the more air time this gets, the more people will also report similar experiences.

Your call, obviously.

Reactions: Joe F
What I don't understand, is why people are so dead set against this UV treatment. Any claims that it is temporary so far are wild ass guesses, since we simply don't know. Tesla will supposedly sell you a screen that's not susceptible to yellowing, but so far nobody has confirmed a part number or if this screen really even exists.

So the solutions as they stand are:

Get a UV repair that may be permanent or may not.
Get a new screen that's just going to yellow again (old SKU) through arbitration.
Get a new screen that "may" not yellow again (mystery SKU) either through arbitration or paying.

Tesla's handling of this issue is piss-poor, but I don't see how happy UV fix customers are a problem. I fully support people going through arbitration to force Tesla to acknowledge this as a warranty issue and not a trivial cosmetic defect. I think people deserve a timely fix, instead of being forced to wait months for the tool to be available locally, but my opinion is that successful arbitration means either successful UV treatment or screen replacement to resolve the issue within 30 days.

How is Bonnie's experience with the UV treatment detrimental to somebody else who's trying to get their yellow screen fixed?

All this over a little yellow line. A mostly insignificant artifact in perhaps one of the best cars ever made.

That's your opinion. The line in my car is not insignificant - it means I can't sell my car at the value I should receive for it, and Tesla is attempting not to cover it under warranty. You would not pay full price for my vehicle in it's current state. They are not offering me a UV fix with a predictable timeline, and they say I have to pay $1,300 to have the screen fixed.

Most used Tesla buyers only know about these little yellow lines because of the contant rants in forums like these. If it were not for the posts most people would be blissfully unaware. Kinda like the posts recommending crawling underneath a car they are considering to check to see if the jacking points have any scratches on them :(

Believe that Tesla has a pretty good fix rolling out. Hope these little yellow lines quickly fade into history.

So, can the arbiter force Tesla to warranty the fix? I think I'd be happy to take the UV treatment as long as Tesla promises find a better fix (like replacing the screen!), if the yellowing comes back within, say, four years. If the UV treatment does actually prove to last, then great, everyone's happy!

Also, I'd really like to see Tesla explain what's going on here. What's the underlying defect that causes the yellowing? They probably won't do this willingly, as they are saying there's no defect at all! Explaining it would mean admitting they screwed up. And they really should fix the underlying flaw, not just the yellowing, which I'm sure they don't want to do!

Any claims that it is temporary so far are wild ass guesses, since we simply don't know.

We do know the UV fix is not permanent, and more importantly Tesla know's it's not permanent. Ask any one of their tech's to review the internal wiki.

Tesla will supposedly sell you a screen that's not susceptible to yellowing, but so far nobody has confirmed a part number or if this screen really even exists.

It's been stated in this thread several times. Ends in C. Its the part that's going into production vehicles now, and that they are selling for $1,300 as a fixed part.

Get a UV repair that may be permanent or may not.

Tesla is only performing UV fixes in very limited areas. For example, here in northern virginia, they say "in the fall". Mind you - they said "in the spring" last winter. So actually getting a UV fix is part of the problem.

Get a new screen that's just going to yellow again (old SKU) through arbitration.

Tesla is arguing in arbitration that they are not required to give a new part, even if the UV fix isn't available in your area.

Get a new screen that "may" not yellow again (mystery SKU) either through arbitration or paying.
Not that big a mystery, as there are probably billions of non-yellow LCD touch screens out there in other cars and applications. They can easily get this fixed in a new rev, and it would be super unlikely that they haven't in the newest revision.

Tesla's handling of this issue is piss-poor, but I don't see how happy UV fix customers are a problem. I fully support people going through arbitration to force Tesla to acknowledge this as a warranty issue and not a trivial cosmetic defect. I think people deserve a timely fix, instead of being forced to wait months for the tool to be available locally, but my opinion is that successful arbitration means either successful UV treatment or screen replacement to resolve the issue within 30 days.

That's exactly what I asked Tesla for. A guaranteed fix in 30 days, and I would drop my arbitration request. Tesla's lawyer denied my request, and said he would argue that Tesla does not have to cover this under warranty, and may only offer a UV fix under "good will". And that they have no obligation to do so on a fixed timeline.

How is Bonnie's experience with the UV treatment detrimental to somebody else who's trying to get their yellow screen fixed?

Bonnie's picture and quote are being used by Tesla's lawyer as a central point to the arbitrator that "customers who wait, are happy, see Bonnie". But combined with their other arguments - it really looks like they're using Bonnie far out of context. They are not acknowledging that the UV fix effect is temporary (they know this, Tesla's lawyer did not refute that), and that they've only provided the fix to a very limited number of customers.

Tesla's lawyer literally told me that I haven't been patient enough (having already waited 6+ months) and that if I just wait like Bonnie tells us too, I'll be more likely to receive better service from Tesla on other issues.

So, can the arbiter force Tesla to warranty the fix?
Apparently,yes they can - Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

I for one appreciate Bonnie's post, even though I too was admittedly skeptical. If the UV fix is permanent and completely removes the yellow border, then I would actually prefer them do it this way rather then having them take apart my whole dash. But there is evidence posted (see post #250 from the above link) that the UV fix is not a 100% fix. Furthermore, Tesla's message has been they are offering this fix as a one time good-will gesture, and customers will be charged for additional treatments. If I read between the lines, they are not confident either in this fix otherwise they would not make that stipulation.

The most disappointing part is Tesla continues to push the false narrative that this is not a warranty item, I find it insulting. If the messaging was "this is a warranty item that we are currently investigating a fix for, we will have this fix ready by XX/XX/XXX or we will replace your screen" then this mess could have been avoided.

I'm debating now whether going through arbitration is the best course of action to at least have it on record that this should be covered under warranty. This might protect me from future costs if the UV treatment is not permanent.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
This is a flaw to a component that Tesla does not manufacture, not unlike a Takata airbag. Difference being, it's not a critical, life threatening part.

While it's easy to bash Tesla, they had to work with their suppler to determine a fix. Early on it was believed to be a few defective screens, but after replacing them it became apparent it did not solve the problem, as some (all? don't know) turned yellow yet again.

Some things take time to resolve. Some of us choose to give Tesla the time required to roll a fix out...

I know that the arbiter ruled the yellowing was covered by the warranty, and ordered Tesla to fix it. But I haven't seen where the arbiter forced Tesla to warranty the repair for a good long time, such as four years from the date of repair. Is there somewhere in that thread where that's covered?

My concern is that I've got less than 1.5 years left on my extended warranty. I want to make sure that the repair lasts longer than that!