Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Yellow Border - Fixed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a flaw to a component that Tesla does not manufacture, not unlike a Takata airbag. Difference being, it's not a critical, life threatening part.

While it's easy to bash Tesla, they had to work with their suppler to determine a fix. Early on it was believed to be a few defective screens, but after replacing them it became apparent it did not solve the problem, as some (all? don't know) turned yellow yet again.

Some things take time to resolve. Some of us choose to give Tesla the time required to roll a fix out...

I have been waiting 1 1/2 years for a fix and when I reached out a weeks ago they still said its not available and maybe by the end of the year. It should be made available to everyone.

This is a flaw to a component that Tesla does not manufacture, not unlike a Takata airbag. Difference being, it's not a critical, life threatening part.

While it's easy to bash Tesla, they had to work with their suppler to determine a fix. Early on it was believed to be a few defective screens, but after replacing them it became apparent it did not solve the problem, as some (all? don't know) turned yellow yet again.

Some things take time to resolve. Some of us choose to give Tesla the time required to roll a fix out...

While Tesla does not make the LCD, nor does it make the touch sensor, do we know that Tesla isn't the one the puts them together? That part of the process may be where the problem lies.

I have been waiting 1 1/2 years for a fix and when I reached out a weeks ago they still said its not available and maybe by the end of the year. It should be made available to everyone.
As did I, although I didn't try to have it replaced back then as, to me, it wasn't that big of a deal, and I was waiting for either a more serious problem that needed service (never happened) or a scheduled service interval to have it all done at the same time. Was holding out for the computer upgrade, but needed a few minor things addressed, but was told I'd have to wait till the fix was available. They did not specify what that fix was at the time.

• Helpful
Reactions: TesDen
My concern is that I've got less than 1.5 years left on my extended warranty. I want to make sure that the repair lasts longer than that!

I haven't seen anything about an extended warranty being granted. I think that is fairly rare, the warranty period is the warranty period.

BTW: You don't have an extended warranty you have an extended service agreement. (There is a significant legal difference between the two.) Does the arbitration apply to the extended service agreement? (Or does it have something else written in to it?)

No clue, sorry.

Then why do you so definitively say "This is a flaw to a component that Tesla does not manufacture" in your first post if you don't know it to be true?

If this were truly a supplier quality problem Tesla shouldn't have any beef about covering this under warranty since they would be able to go after the supplier to pay for it. Since they are seemingly so reluctant to cover it under warranty, it seems much more likely that the failure is something attributable to Tesla's portion of the manufacturing process of the car.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I haven't seen anything about an extended warranty being granted. I think that is fairly rare, the warranty period is the warranty period.

BTW: You don't have an extended warranty you have an extended service agreement. (There is a significant legal difference between the two.) Does the arbitration apply to the extended service agreement? (Or does it have something else written in to it?)

This is very true. Some extended service agreement information can be found here. From what I read, it sounds basically the same as the warranty but the legal definition matters I'm sure. It does have the ability to be canceled at anytime and you get a prorated refund based on service history and duration. So in effect, you could cancel it and maybe have enough refunded to fund the screen replacement yourself. Of course, this would leave you without the agreement going forward.

Tesla's lawyer literally told me that I haven't been patient enough (having already waited 6+ months) and that if I just wait like Bonnie tells us too, I'll be more likely to receive better service from Tesla on other issues.
Tesla's lawyer is obviously going to fight on their behalf, has the arbiter found in their favor?

I'm not convinced that any of the information you consider facts actually are. Maybe in internal wiki describes the UV fix as temporary as explained by some Tesla tech, but what's temporary? Is it 6 months? A year? 4? Has anyone who's had the UV fix actually had the problem recur? At this point I've not seen enough information for anyone to actually know. As for the C revision part vs. the A revision, it's also been explained that it's the same part but a different designation depending on if it's intended for warranty replacement or for customer purchase.

The only thing I know for sure is that likely none of us in this discussion actually know fully what's going on, because Tesla's only official statement on this issue is that they don't consider it a warranty issue. I take every claim from some Tesla tech with a grain of salt, be it an internal wiki about the UV fix or that we can buy a screen that won't yellow.

I wasn't against the UV Treatment and until my arbitration hearing I never even told them to replace the screen. What I asked or what I 'demanded' of them to use Tesla's term in their response was to repair it in a timely manner. Unfortunately for them they did not have any repair but a replacement.

Customers should not have to wait more than 30 days for what is clearly a warranty issue. Had they had the UV fix immediately I would likely not be posting here. Unfortunately I was denied service no less than 4 times... and then Tesla's Lawyer had the gall to say they had the right to make a repair attempt... I tried to argue that they had forfeited that right the first couple of times but the arbitration process and warranty act is written assuming a manufacturer is having to step in for a dealer franchise. Likely my case will only result in an order to repair and not a replacement order, if it goes that way at all (I must admit I'm not happy with my performance at the oral hearing - I allowed myself to be derailed from the real points by Tesla's lawyer far too many times)

How is Bonnie's experience with the UV treatment detrimental to somebody else who's trying to get their yellow screen fixed?

To know this it is important to understand arbitration is not really a legal process. You are not relying on a judge to make a decision on the law, precedence, or the merits of the case, you are relying on a semi-formal independent party to make a judgement. Perception is everything, and Tesla gets to easily point to a public customer with no context and paint the person across the table as an impatient child who doesn't really want the issue fixed they want a new screen.

I have to hand it to Ryan at Tesla - He did a good job at this by ambushing me with what sounded like a settlement offer right at the beginning of the hearing. It flustered me as I was unfamiliar with the procedure or what my rights were since my lawyer didn't see the need to be there costing me money for a non-binding process. He also claimed I treated the Tesla staff unfairly (and heavily implied criminally) by recording my service call with them which further boiled my emotions more than I would like.

I know that the arbiter ruled the yellowing was covered by the warranty, and ordered Tesla to fix it. But I haven't seen where the arbiter forced Tesla to warranty the repair for a good long time, such as four years from the date of repair. Is there somewhere in that thread where that's covered?

My concern is that I've got less than 1.5 years left on my extended warranty. I want to make sure that the repair lasts longer than that!
You're never going to get a guarantee that a warranty repair is going to last any period of time. If it fails again during warranty, then it will be replaced again during warranty. Many out of warranty repairs come with an additional warranty for the replacement (2 yr/24k miles in the case of BMW), but no extension is typically offered on parts replaced under warranty. In the case of an unreasonably premature failure, you can usually get some sort of goodwill offer, but the warranty is the extent of their liability.

As long as it isn't a safety or emissions related component that results in a recall, then consumers rarely have recourse beyond just choosing not to buy another vehicle in the future.

To know this it is important to understand arbitration is not really a legal process. You are not relying on a judge to make a decision on the law, precedence, or the merits of the case, you are relying on a semi-formal independent party to make a judgement. Perception is everything, and Tesla gets to easily point to a public customer with no context and paint the person across the table as an impatient child who doesn't really want the issue fixed they want a new screen.
I understand the mechanics of arbitration and for me in this case, I think the primary value is for precedent to be established that the yellowing screen is indeed a warranty issue and that Tesla owes a timely fix. If Tesla wants to replace the screen or use the UV treatment, either accomplishes the goal, so long as they do either promptly.

• Love
Reactions: re04586 and Skipdd
I understand the mechanics of arbitration and for me in this case, I think the primary value is for precedent to be established that the yellowing screen is indeed a warranty issue and that Tesla owes a timely fix. If Tesla wants to replace the screen or use the UV treatment, either accomplishes the goal, so long as they do either promptly.

My case is on Monday. I’m going to stick to these points.

1) this is a warranty covered issue

2) that Tesla has the ability and obligation to fix this in a timely manner

3) that Tesla owes us a fix that in good faith lasts several years, as it is not reasonable to expect an LCD screen to become yellow over time (see TV warranties, or the other billions of LCD devices out there)

Reactions: re04586 and rjdoc74
This is very true. Some extended service agreement information can be found here. From what I read, it sounds basically the same as the warranty but the legal definition matters I'm sure. It does have the ability to be canceled at anytime and you get a prorated refund based on service history and duration. So in effect, you could cancel it and maybe have enough refunded to fund the screen replacement yourself. Of course, this would leave you without the agreement going forward.

My ESA specifically says it can't be cancelled:

This Vehicle ESA may not be cancelled by You or Tesla and no return of the purchase price or any other fees or taxes will be provided by Tesla to You.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/service/2013_na_tesla_warranty_plan_agreement_ot..pdf

That's interesting. It specifically says it can in the FAQ under the last question the link I provided. I wonder if the new agreements can be canceled and some of the older ones can't. In your case, the contract is very clear so you have no such option.

Per the FAQ I linked:

"Can I cancel my Extended Service Agreement? Can I upgrade or downgrade my Tesla Extended Service Agreement?
Yes. You can request to cancel your Extended Service Agreement at any time and receive a prorated refund, based on your claims history. Please refer to the Extended Service Agreement Terms and Conditions for more information. You cannot downgrade or upgrade your Extended Service Agreement once you have purchased."

They need to update the FAQ if its wrong. Does anyone else have an ESA?

The one you linked @wildag is from 2013. The FAQ is current so maybe the new ones are more flexible.

Then why do you so definitively say "This is a flaw to a component that Tesla does not manufacture" in your first post if you don't know it to be true?

If this were truly a supplier quality problem Tesla shouldn't have any beef about covering this under warranty since they would be able to go after the supplier to pay for it. Since they are seemingly so reluctant to cover it under warranty, it seems much more likely that the failure is something attributable to Tesla's portion of the manufacturing process of the car.
Because he said “assemble” not manufacture. Not the same thing.

Mobile tech who came to fit my CCD adaptor on the X told me the 'UV tool' is only a temporary solution and NOT a proper fix.

Apparently Tesla are waiting on a whole new screen design/build. Not sure if this will be a whole MCU swap or not. But the UV thing sounds pretty pointless if its just a temporary thing.

Re longevity: Tesla was clear with me that they weren't making promises because they didn't have long-term reliability data yet, not that it was only temporary. Tesla Online Owners tweeted they'd had it done a year ago and still all good.

I'm not sure how else to respond. Should I have not tweeted? Should everyone who has a positive experience check first on the forum before sharing their personal experience? I'm not happy that I somehow became part of arbitration cases, but I wouldn't do anything differently. I'd like to hear what you think I should have done.

When did the UV repair first become available? I thought that Tesla just started rolling it out to customers last month?