Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Yellow Border - Fixed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone had an contact with a service center in New England that knew anything about the (hopefully) coming fix? When i asked about it recently (in for an airbag recall) it was met with confused faces. My yellow boarder is seemingly particularly bad compared to others i’ve seen. It’s kinda embarrassing (for the owner and the company), you’d think that alone would be enough for Tesla to want to remedy it.

It’s worth noting that the loaner i had while mine was being repaired was a MCU2 75D and it too had a yellow boarder.
As posted above, I had my car in for service last Friday and asked for an update on the yellow border fix. They indicated they have a production version of the device on order. This was the Watertown, MA service center. I had my screen replaced last fall after it yellowed the first time but it yellowed again this spring, even before things warmed up.

Sunnyvale, CA Service Center cancelled my upcoming appointment today stating that
"our teams are working and testing a process without the need to replace the display. Please hanging in with us while we get this issue resolved".
Well, I guess I'll have to "hanging in" with them and wait for the curing tools to show up in Sunnyvale (which is 10 miles from HQ in Palo Alto and 14 miles from Fremont, FWIW)...

Sunnyvale, CA Service Center cancelled my upcoming appointment today stating that
"our teams are working and testing a process without the need to replace the display. Please hanging in with us while we get this issue resolved".
Well, I guess I'll have to "hanging in" with them and wait for the curing tools to show up in Sunnyvale (which is 10 miles from HQ in Palo Alto and 14 miles from Fremont, FWIW)...
Burlingame has it once per week. Either Thurs or Friday depending upon the week.

Burlingame has it once per week. Either Thurs or Friday depending upon the week.

As posted above, I had my car in for service last Friday and asked for an update on the yellow border fix. They indicated they have a production version of the device on order. This was the Watertown, MA service center.

I had my screen replaced last fall after it yellowed the first time but it yellowed again this spring, even before things warmed up.

Sunnyvale, CA Service Center canceled my upcoming appointment today stating that "our teams are working and testing a process without the need to replace the display. Please hanging in with us while we get this issue resolved".

This is complete nonsense... no one should be told to hang in there and wait. What happened to customer service at Tesla?
The mods should really change the name of this thread to MCU Yellow Border - Temporarily Fixed!
The OP is now quoted by Tesla attorneys to bolster their fraud. Not a happy camper...

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

Last edited:
Not sure if this thread is still alive, however my screen in my MX is yellowing and called my Tesla Ranger and was told that they no longer replace the screens. They instead will treat the screen for two hours and then it will fix it. However, a few weeks ago a buddy had his screen completely replaced and has no issues so far.

I hope this thread is alive. My mid 2017 Model X recently developed the yellow border as well. I've been monitoring this thread as I'm hoping Tesla figures out what is the permanent fix. So far my understanding is that any screens that got replaced end up yellowing again. It is just a matter of time. I saw a couple of posts that suggests the UV treatment fixes it but again, too early to know whether it will work for everyone with the issue or if the fix will be permanent.

What I can't believe is that Tesla is suggesting this is normal wear. It is yellowing in a very predictable way. It isn't like the entire screen is yellowing due to burn in or UV degradation. It is clearly a manufacturing flaw.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I was thinking about this thread while I was going through some of my service history. I don't take issue to Tesla trying the UV treatment as an alternative to replacement, but I have a problem with them suggesting this isn't a warranty issue. So, I went back through my records to see how Tesla categorized the work they performed the 2 times my screen was replaced. I wonder if their past treatment of this repair offers any additional weight going through arbitration.

Attachments

• yellow1.JPG
    yellow1.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 153
  • yellow2.JPG
    yellow2.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 98
I wonder if their past treatment of this repair offers any additional weight going through arbitration.

Having Tesla replace the screen under warranty two times for this issue should be pretty strong evidence if you decide to go to arbitration. Tesla will try to argue that they didn't know the yellowing was caused by "sunlight" back then which is why they were so kind and just replaced it but now that they know it is caused by sunlight it is clearly a wear item (silly argument but that is probably what they will say).

See Yellow Screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

• Love
Tesla Dublin, CA has fixed my yellow screen on 2018 MX without any questions and queues when I brought my car in for another issue.
They confirmed the UV device is on hand and their staff is trained on using it.
So far has seen no issues post treatment but they said it was a one-time courtesy fix.

Attachments

• BFD3B8D5-26E1-4EA7-B3E4-B473008F39D1.jpeg
    BFD3B8D5-26E1-4EA7-B3E4-B473008F39D1.jpeg
    49.4 KB · Views: 98
  • Funny
My 8-18 Model S screen has not developed the dreaded yellow border ( posting this will undoubtedly put the hex on it so it is probably happening while I type this ) and we certainly have plenty of sun and heat here - who else has a year old car with no yellow border?

My 8-18 Model S screen has not developed the dreaded yellow border ( posting this will undoubtedly put the hex on it so it is probably happening while I type this ) and we certainly have plenty of sun and heat here - who else has a year old car with no yellow border?
My 2018 June Build Model X did develop the yellow border this summer. Still waiting for the fix to be available at my service center.

Reactions: spectrum
My 2018 June Build Model X did develop the yellow border this summer. Still waiting for the fix to be available at my service center.
Check my thread in the S section. You can force it to be available in your region with arbitration. It also does NOT have a 100% fix rate. As far as I know, the only way to ensure a fix is arbitration, as that is the only way they will replace if(when) UV doesn't work.

There seem to be a few threads on this around the forum, so I thought I'd just post here. I wanted to let the forum know that the yellow border on my MCU is gone.

Bonnie Norman on Twitter (before/after pics)

As I noted in the tweet, be patient. They have developed a tool /fixture that restores the screen - but not all centers have the tool yet (plus I guess some training is involved).

I was lucky enough to be at service on Monday for a wheel alignment while the tool was passing thru temporarily (I guess it’s making the rounds for training purposes.)

BE PATIENT. Just make sure your service center knows you have the issue and would like to be scheduled when they’re ready.

>> If you wonder why I trust Tesla when they say they’re working on a solution, it’s because my experience has always been that when they say that, they are. (Patience is a bitch though, isn’t it?)
Hi Bonnie,

Do you know if any of the recent buyers of MX have the screen with the SKUs starting with "C" and are not facing yellow border?

Although I have a 2016 S, it is obviously the same issue as experienced by X owners — and this is my second dose. Screen was replaced a couple years ago and stripe is back on new screen. I realize it is “just cosmetic” but imagine trying to resell your car when its most unique and eye catching feature looks like a failing 1960 color tv. I had my appointment to fix it cancelled two months ago and wonder what to do next.

I have read posts here so I know I have a lot of company, but I haven’t seen many lately. I live in Phoenix area so assume the alleged fix-it tool has made appearances in this large market but I haven’t been contacted. I just rescheduled along with another issue but suspect it’s a waste of time. Any new suggestions as the calendar advances toward mid-September?

• Informative
Tesla Dublin, CA has fixed my yellow screen on 2018 MX without any questions and queues when I brought my car in for another issue.
They confirmed the UV device is on hand and their staff is trained on using it.
So far has seen no issues post treatment but they said it was a one-time courtesy fix.

I just went to Dublin yesterday, my Used Tesla that I picked up 2 weeks back has slight yellowing around. It doesn't bother me as much perhaps because I was aware of it. I asked them and the technician said the same "1 time courtesy fix". I told him I will wait until a permanent solution is identified than the UV fix. I am going to see what comes up but will see how this shapes up. If it ends up being a 1 time fix I would like to push the current screen as long as I can and then hope for a fix or screen replacement....

Reactions: electricar