Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Yellow Border - Fixed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As long as the car is under warranty, any charge for this fix is unreasonable. (I know Tesla's position is this is not a warranty item, but that's BS.)
I agree with that position completely. My car is just over two years, but now approaching 60k miles. I purchased an ESA bringing me up to 8 years / 100k miles - there is supposed to be a $200 deductible per ESA covered visit (in theory).

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Indianapolis fixed mine last week. Two hours under the lights, yellow completely gone. First noticed last December. I still have yellow around the ICD, but not nearly as noticeable since that screen is generally not lit to the edge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gt1948
8B1FB4C6-F4DE-43FB-AE5F-D1AA134FB20F.jpeg

Really disappointing. It took me almost a month to get my appointment setup. Then I got the text above from Tesla Fremont today.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
This pretty ridiculous. They pass this tool (or tools) around to random service centers, they don’t have any system on place to notify you when yours may have it, and they cancel any appointments made if they don’t. Are we all just supposed to make random service appointments at random intervals in the hope that we might get lucky with one? WTF, Elon...

And I’m back. My out of warranty S now has this yellow border issue for the third time. They used the UV tool on my in warranty X a few months ago. That cost a lot of time, but zero dollars. Now I’m going to find out what the price is for out of warranty UV applications.

Could you clarify? Did the yellowing come back after the UV treatment? Or was it previously fixed with screen replacements?

For those of you who are fed up with Tesla and would like a DIY solution to the yellow border problem... here is an interesting fix. :cool:

Cross-post from ucmndd: DIY UV Treatment for Yellowed MCU Screen

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MDWKNMK?tag=tmc064-20

51yscwHfBJL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

My late 2016 Model S was one of the earlier cars to exhibit the infamous yellow ring on the 17” MCU screen. I had it replaced early on, right before my warranty expired, before the prevalence of the problem was really known. Now about a year and a half later, the replacement screen has once again yellowed and I’m well out of warranty, about to turn 100,000 miles. I’m far from a service center, have no idea if Tesla would charge me for the UV treatment, if they even have the tool, and frankly don’t have the time or interest to fight with their service organization about it. But hey, it’s just UV light, right? How hard could this be?

I did a little research and determined that most adhesives for glass bonding are cured with UV light in the 365-400nm range. After a little poking around on Amazon looking for a reasonably powerful light in that spectrum, I settled on this bad boy for $35: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MDWKNMK

As I said in the other thread where you asked this same question, how would we know? It takes as much as a year or more before the yellow border appears.
Incorrect..

Others have also pointed out that it can occur in months, if not less.

My X was manufactured in March of this year. I purchased and received it in June with 6 miles on it. No yellow border at the time. By July, I could see a faint yellowing developing. Now, I can see it, especially on lighter screens (daytime versus nighttime), and also, my instrument cluster has the issue as well, which is much more prominent.