Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 & AP1 to MCU2, but Service Advisor said that's all. Is this possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my 3rd Tesla, but also the oldest. It's a 2016 P90D with MCU1, AP1, & HW1. I'm getting the MCU upgraded to MCU2 next week and asked the SA for other upgrades, and he said my car wasn't eligible/able for a AP2 or camera upgrade when he looked in the system.

Does this make sense? Maybe I'm mixing up the terminology as well.

I ultimately will update the car to MCU2 (due to the benefits over MCU1 plus the display is bubbling, etc), but is it possible that my particular car isn't eligible for AP2/3 HW update and a camera upgrade?

So basically, MCU2 and that's it in terms of hardware upgrades.

So what would have this car had to have had optioned in 2016 to be eligible. I see other 2016s that have successfully upgraded to AP3 and camera upgrade, unless I'm mistaken. Just trying to educate myself! Tx!

Last edited:
There are no options for the car you bought to become eligible for AP3 and camera upgrades. Minimum requirement for those upgrades is having AP2. AP2 replaced AP1 in late 2016 (either November or December of 2016). There is no upgrade path from AP1 to AP2.

Reactions: sissupr
This is my 3rd Tesla, but also the oldest. It's a 2016 P90D with MCU1, AP1, & HW1. I'm getting the MCU upgraded to MCU2 next week and asked the SA for other upgrades, and he said my car wasn't eligible/able for a AP2 or camera upgrade when he looked in the system.

Does this make sense? Maybe I'm mixing up the terminology as well.

I ultimately will update the car to MCU2 (due to the benefits over MCU1 plus the display is bubbling, etc), but is it possible that my particular car isn't eligible for AP2/3 HW update and a camera upgrade?
Kind of surprised anyone on their third Tesla wouldn’t know AP1 cannot be upgraded to AP3 but just shows how confusing the various hardware configurations can be for even long time owners. My S just barely made the 2016 cutoff for AP2 but most AP1 owners seem happy with autopilot on their cars even though FSD is unavailable. I would be more concerned about getting any meaningful software updates, but of course that is a concern for all older cars including my two AP3 cars..

Reactions: gaswalla
@sissupr - As others have mentioned, Tesla switched from HW1 to HW2 autopilot in the fall of 2016. HW2 cars can be upgraded to HW3 with just a simple AP computer swap (+ camera update for early HW2 cars).

My experience with AP1 in my 2015 Model S has been great though. It took about 2 years for the HW2 software to even catch up with HW1 capabilities. Even to this day, HW1 still has the most important AP capabilities for making driving less stressful on long trips or in traffic jams. HW3 can do some other things, like "advanced" summon, but most of them are more of a party trick to try a few times, vs. something truly helpful.

My experience with AP1 in my 2015 Model S has been great though. It took about 2 years for the HW2 software to even catch up with HW1 capabilities. Even to this day, HW1 still has the most important AP capabilities for making driving less stressful on long trips or in traffic jams. HW3 can do some other things, like "advanced" summon, but most of them are more of a party trick to try a few times, vs. something truly helpful.
I agree. My first Tesla was a 2016 AP1 Model S, and it performed pretty well. It also included Auto Lane Change, which is not included in basic Autopilot anymore. However, I have to say that my newer 2018 Model S does a better job seeing lane markers than the older one.

I have driven several FSD while my 2015 P90DL with AP1/MCU2 was in the shop and I found the FSD to be very rough and jerky. The stop and go was not good at all. The LIDAR seems much better than the camera only system. I did like visualizations though.

Reactions: gillmj24
Kind of surprised anyone on their third Tesla wouldn’t know AP1 cannot be upgraded to AP3 but just shows how confusing the various hardware configurations can be for even long time owners. My S just barely made the 2016 cutoff for AP2 but most AP1 owners seem happy with autopilot on their cars even though FSD is unavailable. I would be more concerned about getting any meaningful software updates, but of course that is a concern for all older cars including my two AP3 cars..
I have just had a similar experience. My 2016 S delivered in December of 2016, has all the blind side cameras, but the service center said it is ineligible for a camera or hardware upgrade. I was going to replace the MCU from 1 to 2, but I cannot up grade HW1 to HW2. Feeling disappointed that I can get more entertainment which I don't want, but cannot get more safety which I do want. Any advice?

My 2016 S delivered in December of 2016, has all the blind side cameras, but the service center said it is ineligible for a camera or hardware upgrade.
whats ur VIN label says for month? since Oct 2016 it was AP2 (with side cameras) n IS upgradable.

PS. some ppl slap fender cameras on AP1 cars either for looks or to trick others...

5YJSA1E24GF170377 Just left the SC and they said not upgradable. Is there an outside 3rd party who could do it? The sales form said auto pilot HDW 1 with convenience features. Of course at the time I had no idea what that meant.

Last edited:
5YJSA1E24GF170377 Just left the SC and they said not upgradable. Is there an outside 3rd party who could do it? The sales form said auto pilot HDW 1 with convenience features. Of course at the time I had no idea what that meant.
look here behind front door:
1688781844039.png

Hw1 is AP1 n not upgradable, sorry...

There's some discussion here:

I could swear I remember there being a thread where someone actually did it and commented on what a huge pain in the backside it was, and that it totally wasn't worth doing, but I can't find it, so I could be remembering wrong.