Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 AP2.0 to MCU2 AP3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this is an old question, but i have read through numerous threads and is still a little confused. I have a 2017 Model S 75D with MCU1 and AP2.0. I have ordered the upgraded MCU2 and AP3.0. What are all the capabilities that I will now be getting that I did not get before? Sentry Mode recording, Summons, Auto Park, anything else I may or may not get? I know no radio. Thanks

Sentry and dash cam recordings are really it, plus all of the other software things you get with MCU2.

If you don’t have summon and auto park now (i.e. you don’t already have the enhanced autopilot or FSD software packages), you won’t have them after the upgrade either.

Sentry and dash cam recordings are really it, plus all of the other software things you get with MCU2.

If you don’t have summon and auto park now (i.e. you don’t already have the enhanced autopilot or FSD software packages), you won’t have them after the upgrade either.
Hi All,
New to electric cars and looking at purchasing a telsa model s 2017 it's has mcu1 with ap2.0 it also has the enhanced autopilot, my question is if I upgrade to mcu2 will I keep the enhanced autopilot or have to buy it again, is there any extra features to the enchanted autopilot when upgrading . Kind Regards Mark

Screenshot_20220224-050519_Auto Trader.jpg

Hi All,
New to electric cars and looking at purchasing a telsa model s 2017 it's has mcu1 with ap2.0 it also has the enhanced autopilot, my question is if I upgrade to mcu2 will I keep the enhanced autopilot or have to buy it again, is there any extra features to the enchanted autopilot when upgrading . Kind Regards Mark

Upgrading the MCU will not affect any purchased options, including EAP.

You also won’t gain any EAP features that you don’t already have.

I just upgraded my 2017 100D to MCU2. Very happy with the upgrade, especially with dashcam and the screen speed.
  1. Yes, I now have a working dashcam and sentry mode. However, image quality of front and side cams are not great. Color looks washed out or almost B&W. Rear cam is clear and in full color. Never the less, I am happy with working dashcam. You have to plug in USB stick or SSD to record dashcam. I was going to install a dashcam so this saved me a few $$.
  2. You lose your FM/AM radio with this upgrade. But I can listen to my local NPR stations using the Tune In app in the car. No need to pay for $500 radio option. Save your money and don’t order radio.
  3. Map and all the screen functions are fast and no delays. To me, this is huge. Makes the driving enjoyable, again. Feels like I am driving a newer Tesla like M3.
  4. I got the new dash and center screens. But I really cannot tell if the resolution is significantly better or not. Maybe slightly.
  5. Screen changes to new v11 design. In my opinion, it’s much better than the V11 in M3. I still have access to Bluetooth, sentry dashcam, driver profile, and homelink from the main screen.
  6. Glovebox button still works. Someone told me that MCU2 disabled the glovebox button but mine still works.
  7. Other than radio, I didn’t lose any functions. I still have free premium connectivity and free charging. EAP is still working.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    576.8 KB · Views: 73
Yes, I now have a working dashcam and sentry mode. However, image quality of front and side cams are not great. Color looks washed out or almost B&W.
AP 2.0 cameras (excluding the backup cam) are not full color. They have RCCC color filters.
Glovebox button still works. Someone told me that MCU2 disabled the glovebox button but mine still works.
Yeah, MCU2 disabling the glovebox button is not a thing.

If you bought FSD, Tesla will eventually replace the 7 cameras with upgraded cameras used today. This program is needed for HW 2.0 cars, manufactured 1-Oct-2016 to 1-Aug-2017. You will be automatically notified when the cameras are available for your car.

Reactions: tabraha