Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1/AP3 - laggy response time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since I had the AP3 computer update, I've found that the responsiveness of the main screen with MCU1 has been degrading. Reboots are taking a lot longer, there's more software crashes, and overall it's plain old laggy to do things with the screen (music is slow to load, trip routing slow, etc). I'm assuming a part of it may be because AP3 is pushing more data across the network - any confirmed answers on this?

Updates only seem to be making it worse over time. I am hoping this isn't a sign of the dreaded chip failure.

I considered the option of updating the MCU, but I cannot justify it since the lease is up next year and odds are high I'll look at replacing it with another Tesla.

Reactions: markn455
Ever since I had the AP3 computer update, I've found that the responsiveness of the main screen with MCU1 has been degrading. Reboots are taking a lot longer, there's more software crashes, and overall it's plain old laggy to do things with the screen (music is slow to load, trip routing slow, etc). I'm assuming a part of it may be because AP3 is pushing more data across the network - any confirmed answers on this?

Updates only seem to be making it worse over time. I am hoping this isn't a sign of the dreaded chip failure.

I considered the option of updating the MCU, but I cannot justify it since the lease is up next year and odds are high I'll look at replacing it with another Tesla.

Also a 2017 MS. MCU1 now AP3 - yeah I agree with your comments. very slow to do any navigation, crashes take 3-10 minutes to come back online, and they happen about 1x a week. Not sure if its the MCU dying or just being overloaded from AP3, but clear degradation of basic functions since the "upgrade"

Also a 2017 MS. MCU1 now AP3 - yeah I agree with your comments. very slow to do any navigation, crashes take 3-10 minutes to come back online, and they happen about 1x a week. Not sure if its the MCU dying or just being overloaded from AP3, but clear degradation of basic functions since the "upgrade"

I'm under the impression the AP3 update was essentially a bottom line "patch" to prevent a lawsuit. As much as I love the car, one should really consider the MCU upgrade as well. We'll have to wait and see what happens, but I know it certainly seems to be half-measures.

Since you're leased, aren't you still under warranty? If yes, there is a MCU/1 fix which is much cheaper which I assume they will do for you.

I would assume as much for now, but it's all conjecture about why there seems to be a degradation since AP3. It may be a bug or a specific resource constraint - no idea. I'm now curious to know how many others are having the same trouble.

I don't disagree (needing MCU2). I (wrongly) assumed I could upgrade at some point in the future - right now I hear that is not an option once you do MCU1/AP3. Hopefully that sort that out and I'll probably buy MCU2

Wait. Are you saying that for those of us who had MCU1 and NON FSD, but that upgraded to FSD, we can not upgrade to MCU2 for the $2500? Because thats not what my SC is telling me. They are telling me that if I schedule the appt for the MCU2 upgrade, i will get the MCU2 and a new dash cluster display for the $2500 during that scheduled visit.

• Informative
Wait. Are you saying that for those of us who had MCU1 and NON FSD, but that upgraded to FSD, we can not upgrade to MCU2 for the $2500? Because thats not what my SC is telling me. They are telling me that if I schedule the appt for the MCU2 upgrade, i will get the MCU2 and a new dash cluster display for the $2500 during that scheduled visit.

My local SC is telling me that they have some bug that is preventing them from upgrading customers with MCU1 + AP3 to MCU2 at the moment. If you have MCU1 with AP2.5 or AP2, it is no problem to upgrade to MCU2 now. And is also no problem to upgrade to MCU2 + AP3 at the same time. But apparently if they do the FSD/HW3/AP3 computer upgrade first, then something is blocking them from doing the MCU2 upgrade.

Seems like nonsense to me, given what I know of the internals, but came from my local SC directly. They quoted "Sometime in Q3" for a fix, so that means they expect to have this working in the next ~4 weeks or so (but we all know never to trust tesla timing at this point..)

If by lag, you're talking about the difference between vehicles in real life vs the delayed visualizations of the same vehicles and your car's delayed reactions? Than yes, my car's lag is approximately 2-2.5 seconds. I was under the false impression that the AP computer controlled the car's reactions. However, when my SC surprised me with the AP 2.5 to AP 3.0 upgrade my car's reactions remained at the same 2-2.5 second delay compared to real life.

I don't disagree (needing MCU2). I (wrongly) assumed I could upgrade at some point in the future - right now I hear that is not an option once you do MCU1/AP3. Hopefully that sort that out and I'll probably buy MCU2
Same boat. I had planned on doing both AP 3.0 & MCU2 at the same time. However, the "Hey, since you're here to swap out your tires/wheels we'll go ahead and install the FSD for you" changed that plan.

You CAN get the MCU upgrade and AP3 all at the same time. BUT if you choose to do AP3 and keep MCU1 - currently, we are being told you CANNOT upgrade to MCU2 after the fact as @appleguru has said above. It's a bug/firmware issue we are being told.

Hopefully they sort it out and this problem goes away.
Per my SC, once the AP 3.0 computer is programmed to work with the MCU1 it won't recognize the MCU2. I'm curious why they don't just re-flash the FSD computer's memory? Then again, I'm closer to a Luddite than a computer geek so...

My local SC is telling me that they have some bug that is preventing them from upgrading customers with MCU1 + AP3 to MCU2 at the moment. If you have MCU1 with AP2.5 or AP2, it is no problem to upgrade to MCU2 now. And is also no problem to upgrade to MCU2 + AP3 at the same time. But apparently if they do the FSD/HW3/AP3 computer upgrade first, then something is blocking them from doing the MCU2 upgrade.

Seems like nonsense to me, given what I know of the internals, but came from my local SC directly. They quoted "Sometime in Q3" for a fix, so that means they expect to have this working in the next ~4 weeks or so (but we all know never to trust tesla timing at this point..)

I just had this done 2 weeks ago. AP3 was done about two months ago and then MCU2 later, but now the car never sleeps. Wonder if this is the issue they are referring to.

I just had this done 2 weeks ago. AP3 was done about two months ago and then MCU2 later, but now the car never sleeps. Wonder if this is the issue they are referring to.

I doubt it, the local SC made it sound like it was something that prevented a firmware deploy from taking (likely because APE3 and MCU2 would have different FW versions??)

In any case, glad you were able to get it done; good data point that hopefully means they've fixed this.

I'm in the same laggy boat.
FSD upgrade with MCU1, Nov 2016 AP2.0.
SC has "deleted files" and has recommended not to use USB drive for Sentry/Dash Cam. It gets better for a while, then lags severely again once the memory refills.
This "upgrade" sucks.
The last time.i asked they said they don't have the harness to upgrade to MCU2....

I'm in the same laggy boat.
FSD upgrade with MCU1, Nov 2016 AP2.0.
SC has "deleted files" and has recommended not to use USB drive for Sentry/Dash Cam. It gets better for a while, then lags severely again once the memory refills.
This "upgrade" sucks.
The last time.i asked they said they don't have the harness to upgrade to MCU2....

Your car shouldn't need any harness; should be plug and play...

• Disagree