Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1/AP3 - laggy response time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since I had the AP3 computer update, I've found that the responsiveness of the main screen with MCU1 has been degrading. Reboots are taking a lot longer, there's more software crashes, and overall it's plain old laggy to do things with the screen (music is slow to load, trip routing slow, etc). I'm assuming a part of it may be because AP3 is pushing more data across the network - any confirmed answers on this?

Updates only seem to be making it worse over time. I am hoping this isn't a sign of the dreaded chip failure.

I considered the option of updating the MCU, but I cannot justify it since the lease is up next year and odds are high I'll look at replacing it with another Tesla.

I had the exact same issue in the month + after my AP3 upgrade to a 2017 75 model S.

Tesla service worked on my car and, to my understanding, cleared the cache and preformed a hard reset. This combined with Tesla claiming that a usb thumb drive should not be in place during software upgrades due to issues with firmware upgrades.

long story short, since the service call, the MCU has had much less lag, no long startup times and clearly better performance. Did not need to replace the MCU CPU.

Hope that was helpful.

Question for you guys, for those who have AP3 hardware and FSD, are you noticing a significant loss of range over a 24 hour period with car parked, I have MCU1 with FSD AP3.0 and besides the MCU acting up frequently with reboots and such, I am also seeing a drastic loss in range, 14 miles in one day, this cant be normal correct? SW 2020.36.3.1

Yes, the "phantom drain" is much worse with HW3. I also have the MCU1 erratic behaviors, lockups, requiring a reboot which can take 10 minutes.

2017 X here with MCU1. The car is definitely a little laggier since we got AP3, but the worst problem is that the dash display keeps freezing and rebooting. it happens about every 20 minutes of driving, and about a third of the time we enter the car.

I have a service appointment next week and have asked them to look at this, but I fear all they're going to say about the terrible performance of my under-warranty car is that I can - someday in the future - pay $2,500 for the MCU2 upgrade that might fix it. Or might not.

I thought I'd follow up, since things ended up not being as bad as I had feared.

At my mid-Sept service appointment (which was also for an annual service), they did muck up - they didn't review my log timestamps when I submitted them, and they were gone from the logs by the time of the appointment, so they just said they "couldn't reproduce it". Ugh. But when I explained the situation as I picked the car up, they apologized and said I should make another appointment for the dash reboot issue.

So I had an early Oct appointment. This time they reviewed the logs in time, found a consistent problem, and ended up reflashing the "MCU FPGA". That helped quite a bit - the reboots went from every 20 minutes, to every 60 minutes.

But it was still happening, so I made another appointment for early Nov. They once again reviewed the logs in time, and once again found a consistent problem...but this time they said it was a "known" problem, that would be fixed in 2020.40. Whenever I get that.

We just got 2020.40.9.2 today. So, fingers crossed...

I thought I'd follow up, since things ended up not being as bad as I had feared.

At my mid-Sept service appointment (which was also for an annual service), they did muck up - they didn't review my log timestamps when I submitted them, and they were gone from the logs by the time of the appointment, so they just said they "couldn't reproduce it". Ugh. But when I explained the situation as I picked the car up, they apologized and said I should make another appointment for the dash reboot issue.

So I had an early Oct appointment. This time they reviewed the logs in time, found a consistent problem, and ended up reflashing the "MCU FPGA". That helped quite a bit - the reboots went from every 20 minutes, to every 60 minutes.

But it was still happening, so I made another appointment for early Nov. They once again reviewed the logs in time, and once again found a consistent problem...but this time they said it was a "known" problem, that would be fixed in 2020.40. Whenever I get that.

We just got 2020.40.9.2 today. So, fingers crossed...

Very similar story to mine, though I’m not even a little hopeful the new updates will actually fix anything.

I think the new update helped, though they didn't fix the problem completely. Maybe now the reboots are every 3 hours or so? It's hard to keep track.

Lol mine came to its knees when i was trying navigate a route about an hour and half away from my house and listen to a podcast. Took a full7 minutes to reboot. I had to use my phone to navigate

Huh, it's funny how different they are. Just last night my wife mentioned as she left in her car yesterday, she started streaming music and asked the car to navigate (only 45 minutes away though) and she said the nav screen popped up instantly. Of course that doesn't happen every time...

Huh, it's funny how different they are. Just last night my wife mentioned as she left in her car yesterday, she started streaming music and asked the car to navigate (only 45 minutes away though) and she said the nav screen popped up instantly. Of course that doesn't happen every time...
I knew mine was cooked when the turn signals stopped making the noise

I think the new update helped, though they didn't fix the problem completely. Maybe now the reboots are every 3 hours or so? It's hard to keep track.
My 2017 X with AP3 and MCU1 is going in tomorrow for the issues noted in this thread. I've taken videos of the incredibly laggy behaviour, constant reboots and missing functionality.

Does anyone else experience a complete loss of warning or notification sounds? Like turn signal, seat belt warnings, autopilot sounds, everything is gone and system requires a manual reboot.

I just got 2020.48.10 update last night. I hate to say it, but it really did help out. It’s not as sluggish, things like reverse cam pop up in real time now. The thing I noticed most was voice prompt worked for the first time in over a year. I asked it to play three or four different songs, and it recognized and played them no problem. Have not tried voice prompt with navigation yet.

Reactions: bktiger86
I just got 2020.48.10 update last night. I hate to say it, but it really did help out. It’s not as sluggish, things like reverse cam pop up in real time now. The thing I noticed most was voice prompt worked for the first time in over a year. I asked it to play three or four different songs, and it recognized and played them no problem. Have not tried voice prompt with navigation yet.

some things are definitely improved with this update. But nav is still horribly horribly broken :-/

Reactions: 2101Guy and Flyguy