Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1: Black center screen / mcu failure caused by a faulty navigation MicroSD card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, I just tried to replace the SD card.

What I found:
My SD Card from factory didnt have any tape on it and it was easy to pop out and replace if you have some tweezers and use ur other hand to stableize the processed.

Now I have 2 SD Cards ready for the swap. Both was Zeroed before I put any data on them.

SD A, I dd the .bin image to the card and it worked as soon as I popped it in. Not error messages.

SD B, I successfully formatted it using the .sh script, and it same error message appeared (no nav data loaded)
And the usual connect to wifi to download update.
I tired rebooting the MCU 4-5 times.
And waited 15 -30mins after one of the boots. And played it it’s the nav a few time during each boot, yet I still have no map download?!

Please can you kindly share any ideas on how to invoke the download?

Hello Guys,

Sorry I was very busy those last days.
Normally, you just take the img I've shared in my last post.
Hey guys,

As a lot of people are looking and asking for a working map. I share the one that LuckyLuke sent me.
It's his job. So I even not sure that I can share it.

That will avoid him some work. (I don't know if he still answer people about this issue.)
So please leave this link here don't spread it.

And thanks him LuckyLuke for the job.

You dd it in a new SDCARD as best as you can without altering anything.

And it will work after 1 or 2 reboot maximum.

Sometimes, you will have to remove/cut the little yellow tape before but it's not there everytime.
For me the card wasn't spring loaded. But it could be.

Good luck :)

Hi all. Just a informative / warning message from me :)

There is now a new, until now largely unknown, reason for getting a full black center screen on a first generation MCU1.0 found on cars up to and including 2015. This report does not cover the newer 1.5 MCU found in 2016 and newer cars, however a similar problem could occur in that system as well.

In the past weeks I have seen some cars where the EMMC was already replaced before (most by 3rd party, but also one that was replaced by Tesla).
The problem: the main screen went black again, and a error message pops up in the Instrument Cluster "center screen not functional". Exactly like you would see when the EMMC chip fails.
Some cars had been to Tesla Service Center already for this problem. At the Tesla Service Center they usually diagnosed it as "MCU needs to be completely replaced" and one customer was even told the problem was caused by "third party EMMC repair". Lucky for these customers they contacted me to find out what the problem was exactly.

The car owners all reported that the problems started with navigation issues, slow calculating routes, nav icon keeps spinning, new maps trying to download over wifi, etc. After scroll-wheel rebooting the MCU it stays black. Appearing almost exactly when EMMC chip is failing.

I have investigated these cases and they are all related to a failing navigation maps MicroSD card (this 16GB MicroSD card is located on the MCU1.0 mainboard). Apparently when the navigation card dies this can cause the entire system to crash and not even start anymore (not even when power cycling the mcu).
Even when the MicroSD card was completely removed or replaced the system would still not start and will still give a black screen. Huh!?
This was all on 2013-2015 MCU1.0 cars, newer MCU1.5 cars from 2016 and up have replaced the MicroSD card with a internal/soldered EMMC chip for the maps.

Anyway: a dead/corrupt MicroSD card can prevent the system from starting up completely. The Tegra computer will boot in what that is called "Recovery" mode and it will also write some changes to the boot environment stored on the NOR chip which is located on the Tegra module (this Spansion NOR chip contains the bootloader, environment and kernel images). This change prevents the Tegra from booting to normal mode. Wut?!

To fix this problem you will need to do several things:
1) Replace the MicroSD card with a new one (16GB recommended, but can be larger as well)
2) Fix the environment on the NOR chip on the Tegra module (mtd7 partition, swap boot bank, fix fail count)
3) Partition the new MicroSD card with the correct partitions (can use nav-sdcard-format.sh for that)
4) Install the correct navigation maps on the MicroSD card (EU maps are about 8GB in size)
Step 1 can be done easy by swapping the card in the MCU (accessible from the side of the MCU housing)
Step 2 is way more complex and only possible when you have full read/write access to the NOR chip. Most repair shops that deal with EMMC repairs will be able to do this.
Steps 3&4 can be done on a (Linux) pc if needed, but can also be done on the MCU itself (need root access for that).

If you go to Tesla with this problem they will most certainly tell you that "The entire MCU needs to be replaced", or even throw in a "Problem caused by 3rd party repair" excuse. All that for a cheap MicroSD card...

Considering these cars are getting older, the chances are increasing that more owners with MCU1.0 cars will eventually face a failing navigation MicroSD card.
Conclusion: If you see reports on black screens then it could be a navigation MicroSD issue. Even on cars that already had the EMMC chip replaced (by Tesla or by third party).

If you face any MCU1 related issues and don't want to go to Tesla feel free to PM me for help.
I have a 2016 Model X and a new eemc chip was just put in but the navigation data still does not complete its download. It gets stuck about 70-80% into it. Even rebooting it doesn’t solve the issue. What gives?

I have a 2016 Model X and a new eemc chip was just put in but the navigation data still does not complete its download. It gets stuck about 70-80% into it. Even rebooting it doesn’t solve the issue. What gives?
I have an appointment for the necessary 4G upgrade, $200 special offer at the Tesla SC, having the Nav SD chip replaced at the same time. Haven't had the blank screen since I started using the air conditioner to dry out my interior. Dampness after a light rain with the windows cracked is partly to blame in my case. The contact surface of the chip is probably has slight electrolysis.

Last edited:
Here is a good copy of the formatting script: nav-sdcard-format.sh
  1. To avoid any issues, right-click on the "Raw" button or this link, and choose "Save link as"
  2. It needs to run as root, typically sudo ./nav-sdcard-format.sh ...
  3. It does not matter how the microSD card is already formatted, it replaces the partition table and partitions.
  4. Interestingly, it has some commands that expect the car's Tegra computer environment so you may see a few harmless error messages. It creates two ext4 partitions but I assume the car will replace one with squashfs when it downloads the maps.

I have not modified the script, but if you are running it on your own (non-car) computer you may want to clean up leftover files with: rmdir /opt/navig{on,off}

As far as I understand - I only need to format new SD card and insert this file nav-sdcard-format.sh ? this should be enough for MCU to start downloading maps ?

I also downloaded navmicrosd_EU-2019.20-10482.bin file but not sure where to copy this into.

many thanks in advance.

As far as I understand - I only need to format new SD card and insert this file nav-sdcard-format.sh ? this should be enough for MCU to start downloading maps ?

I also downloaded navmicrosd_EU-2019.20-10482.bin file but not sure where to copy this into.

many thanks in advance.
No, this file is a shell script to format a fresh SD card. You need to run it on a Linux computer with the SD card inserted.

The other file is an image (exact copy) of an existing card and you can clone that to a new card. Use a tool that writes disk images.

No, this file is a shell script to format a fresh SD card. You need to run it on a Linux computer with the SD card inserted.

The other file is an image (exact copy) of an existing card and you can clone that to a new card. Use a tool that writes disk images.
Thank you for your comments.

As I wasn’t to sure what to do, I went ahead with service app (as I had one in 1 day).

Here is a notes from SC :

Confirmed maps missing because of corrupt SD card, removed SD card and reformatted navigation storage to run off of internal storage. Pushed maps update but it can take up to 1 day to install so advise install away from service centre. mobileAppActivityDetails symptomKey: softwareUpdate activityType: COMMON

It also was free, my car is 2016 85D.

Hi, I also have a Tesla 70D 2015 with the same issue. Replaced MCU, and now black screen that started with been unable to navigate. After soft reset, the MCU went black. Should try to change micro-SD, but where can you download navmicrosd_EU-2019.20-10482.bin?

Hi, I also have a Tesla 70D 2015 with the same issue. Replaced MCU, and now black screen that started with been unable to navigate. After soft reset, the MCU went black. Should try to change micro-SD, but where can you download navmicrosd_EU-2019.20-10482.bin?
There's a post that says after connecting to wifi you can try navigating to any location and the mcu will update the maps automatically. Formatting the card before installing is necessary.

If you have a black screen because of the nav card failing and the Tegra is stuck in recovery mode then only swapping the MicroSD will not result in a working MCU. You would need to have the Tegra fixed (nor mtd7 corrected). If still needed DM me I can help you with this.

Hi!

My Tegra Board was exchanged in the SeC, yet the technician declined to swap out the SD card I had prepared, it was worth asking ;-) Since than I was too lazy to change it by myself, yet. Then yesterday I've got a yellow download arrow, asking me to connect to wifi for downloading new nav data:

1644155370393.png

So, I wonder, is there already an image for a sd-card including this download? Any idea what would be the best way to proceed:

a) I change the SD-Card with the image from @LuckyLuke - then hopefully the update will still be offered and I download it.
b) I connect to wifi, download the update in the hope the original SD-Card will be able to handle it. Then I get the original SD-Card out and "clone" the partitions to my new one as a controlled change.

What do you think? Have a fine Sunday! Oaito.

yesterday I've got a yellow download arrow, asking me to connect to wifi for downloading new nav data

Hm, just coming back from the car after setting up wifi: The download vanished over the afternoon, earlier today it was still there... perhaps it was never really meant for mcu1/just a glitch, maybe it will come back... 🤷‍♂️

Lot of EU mcu1 cars got updated to EU-2019.21-12489 last week. Including my own car which was on 2019.20 before (since loooong time).
It is so strange they use this "old" version (which has been around for over a year now), because there exists a newer EU-2021.8-12875 version.
I guess they pulled your pending download because of this, hope they will push the 2021 version wide soon.

• Informative
Reactions: oaito
Ciao a tutti. Solo un messaggio informativo/di avviso da parte mia:)

Ora c'è un nuovo motivo, fino ad ora in gran parte sconosciuto, per ottenere uno schermo centrale completamente nero su un MCU1.0 di prima generazione trovato su auto fino al 2015 incluso. Questo rapporto non copre il nuovo MCU 1. trovato nel 2016 e le auto più recenti , tuttavia un problema simile potrebbe verificarsi anche in quel sistema.

Nelle ultime settimane ho visto alcune auto in cui l'EMMC era già stata sostituita in precedenza (la maggior parte da terze parti, ma anche una che è stata sostituita da Tesla).
Il problema: la schermata principale è tornata nera e viene visualizzato un messaggio di errore nel quadro "schermo centrale non funzionante". Esattamente come vedresti quando il chip EMMC si guasta.
Alcune auto erano già statali al centro di assistenza Tesla per questo problema. Al centro di assistenza Tesla di solito lovano come "MCU deve essere completamente sostituito" ea un cliente è stato persino detto che il problema era causato da "riparazioni EMMC di terze parti". Fortunatamente per questi clienti mi hanno contattato per quale fosse esattamente il problema.

Tutti i proprietari di auto hanno riferito che i problemi sono iniziati con problemi di navigazione, calcolo lento dei percorsi, icona di navigazione che continua a girare, nuove mappe che tentano di scaricare tramite Wi-Fi, ecc. Dopo aver riavviato la rotellina, l'MCU rimane nero. Appare quasi esattamente quando il chip EMMC non funziona.

Ho questi casi e sono tutti correlati a una scheda MicroSD delle mappe di navigazione guasta (questa scheda MicroSD da 16 GB si trova sulla scheda madre MCU1.0). Apparentemente quando la scheda di navigazione si spegne, ciò può causare il crash dell'intero sistema e non avviarsi più (nemmeno quando si spegne e riaccende l'mcu).
Anche quando la scheda MicroSD è stata completamente rimossa o sostituita, il sistema non si avvia e continuava a visualizzare una schermata nera. Eh!?
Questa era tutto sulle auto MCU1.0 2013-2015, le auto MCU1.5 più recenti dal 2016 in poi hanno sostituito la scheda MicroSD con un chip EMMC interno/saldato per le mappe.

Ad ogni modo: una scheda MicroSD morta/corrotta può impedire l'avvio completo del sistema. Il computer Tegra si avvierà in quella che viene chiamata modalità "Recovery" e scriverà anche alcune modifiche all'ambiente di avvio memorizzato sul chip NOR che si trova sul modulo Tegra (questo chip Spansion NOR contiene il bootloader, l'ambiente e le immagini del nocciolo). Questa modifica al Tegra di avviarsi in modalità normale. Cosa?!

Per risolvere questo problema richiedere fare diverse cose:
1) Sostituisci la scheda MicroSD con una nuova (consigliati 16 GB, ma può essere anche più grande)
2) Correggere l'ambiente sul chip NOR sul modulo Tegra (partizione mtd7, swap boot bank, correzione conteggio errori)
3) Partiziona la nuova scheda MicroSD con le partizioni corrette (puoi usare nav-sdcard-format.sh per quello)
4) hanno circa le mappe di navigazione corrette sulla scheda MicroSD (le mappe UE una dimensione di 8 GB)
Il passaggio 1 può essere eseguito facilmente sostituendo la scheda nell'MCU (accessibile dal lato dell'alloggiamento dell'MCU)
Il passaggio 2 è molto più complesso e possibile solo quando si dispone dell'accesso completo in lettura/scrittura al chip NOR. La maggior parte delle officine che si occupano di riparazioni EMMC sarà in grado di farlo.
I passaggi 3 e 4 possono essere eseguiti su un PC (Linux), se necessario, ma possono anche essere eseguiti sull'MCU stesso (per questo è necessario l'accesso come root).

Se vai da Tesla con questo problema, ti diranno sicuramente che "L'intero MCU deve essere sostituito" o addirittura inserirà una scusa "Problema causato da riparazioni di terze parti". Tutto questo per una scheda MicroSD economica...

Considerando che stanno invecchiando, stanno arrivando le possibilità che più proprietari con auto MCU1.0 alla fine si stanno superando una scheda MicroSD di navigazione difettosa.
Conclusione: se vengono visualizzati rapporti su schermi neri, potrebbe trattarsi di un problema di navigazione MicroSD. Anche su vetture che avevano già sostituito il chip EMMC (da Tesla o da terzi).

Se riscontri problemi relativi all'MCU1 e non vuoi andare da Tesla, non esitare a contattarmi in PM per chiedere aiuto.

Lo script di partizionamento è elencato qui . Esegui dal sistema Linux o da alcuni software di virtualizzazione come Docker o Ubuntu per Windows.
Se mi scrivi in privato posso inviarti il file della mappa UE.
ciao, non sono riuscito a scaricare l'aggiornamento delle mappe, volevo cambiare la scheda micro sd con una da 32gb, saresti così gentile da inviarmi le mappe europa aggiornate?
Grazie e buona giornata.

i have the image file of the one that worked for me i could send it via mega or send me an sd card and i will copy it for you.
hello, I have not able to download the map update, I wanted to change the micro sd card with a 32gb one, would you be kind enough to send me the updated europe maps?
Could I also send you the new micro sd, or pay you one and then send it to me?
paying you of course

Thank you and good day