Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1: Black center screen / mcu failure caused by a faulty navigation MicroSD card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is going to sound so horrible but does anyone have a basic instruction set for how to run the .sh file once I have my new sd card and the file in a linux virtual box?

I dont know anything about commands over here lol
To clarify,
I have the SD card mounted in the vbox and the nav-sdcard-format.sh file is in the root of the sd card. I deleted the .txt and changed to allow to e
what sh file are you talking about? original scripts?

@Flaminis

I am using the nav-sdcard-format.sh file

I have the sd card mounted in my vbox to /media/mike/nav/ (nav is the name I gave the card
No need for scripts. On a card with a capacity of at least 16 GB, create 2 ext3 partitions. The cards will download by themselves. And this script is executed not on the map, but from within, in the system.
partitions.png

I created 2 partitions at 7.9gb each and named them NAVDEV and OFFDEV based on what I read in the notes for nav-sdcard-format.sh

I left the car connected to wifi for the last day but still see no changes.

@LuckyLuke was kind enough to provide the NA maps for an MCU 1 car. the file ends in .map should I load that file into the NAVDEV partition of the newly formatted SD card and load again or do I have to try and restore the drive from the new NA maps file the same way I would restore an image using an ISO file?

OK, I ran the command. Initially it said permission denied but I typed su, then my password when prompted, and ran the command you suggested again as "root@mike-VirtualBox"

Something must be happening because my cursor stopped flashing in terminal so I'm going to give it some time and check back later.

@Flaminis

I am using the nav-sdcard-format.sh file

I have the sd card mounted in my vbox to /media/mike/nav/ (nav is the name I gave the card

View attachment 772139

I created 2 partitions at 7.9gb each and named them NAVDEV and OFFDEV based on what I read in the notes for nav-sdcard-format.sh

I left the car connected to wifi for the last day but still see no changes.

@LuckyLuke was kind enough to provide the NA maps for an MCU 1 car. the file ends in .map should I load that file into the NAVDEV partition of the newly formatted SD card and load again or do I have to try and restore the drive from the new NA maps file the same way I would restore an image using an ISO file?
In the graphical interface of Ubuntu, it is quite enough to select a partition, the advanced settings button - to restore the partition image. In this case, the partition does not need to be renamed or formatted - just create 2 partitions of the required volume of any format (fat, ntfs, ext - it doesn’t matter) - and restore them in the existing way. Which of them is active is registered in the system, it is not necessary to indicate this. If you want to download current maps, then it is better to upload older ones, the system will determine for itself that they need to be updated. Well, or execute "handshake" in the updater

Год и модель у вас Tesl
If you have a black screen because of the nav card failing and the Tegra is stuck in recovery mode then only swapping the MicroSD will not result in a working MCU. You would need to have the Tegra fixed (nor mtd7 corrected). If still needed DM me I can help you with this.
about mtd7 is not entirely true, often according to the logs mtd9/10 fails according to which of the mmcblk0 partitions is active, to restore working capacity it is quite enough to change only it. ENV touching once again can be fraught))

By the way, I also note that if for some reason you did not successfully update FW, or the certificates expired, it is useless to expect automatic download of new versions of maps. By the way, map-updater does not stop even the physical absence of a microsd card - it just tries to re-download maps over and over again.

Hello Luke,
Seems we are having this exact issue with out first Model S, a 2014 P85. A mobile service guy is supposed to come out today. Any tips on what to ask him? Or even tell him what to look for? Assuming they cannot help except to tell me to replace the 'computer' for $1500, where can I go to get the new SD card installed and programmed and/or how to find a place that does it? I did read a reply that someone wrote stating that Tesla service can replace the SD card (and I presume program it) for $250. Are you familiar with that? Thanks in advance for your help.

Reactions: oaito
Hi. It seems i hit this problem too with my S75D with MCU1 HW2.0.

About 14 month ago the eMMC recall was done and the Tegra board was replaced. It seems to be a repaired one with the 64GB chip. Done by tesla SC.
After it got 2021.24.28 it began to download the maps update EU-2021.8-12875. The download stopped at about 20% and did not move withhin many days. MCU reset did not solve too. First problems with showing map tiles began in the time the map was downloading. After about two weeks the map download was still at same place and the speed was 0 B/s got blach screen for the first time. It took some tries and about half an hour the screen to come back.
Few days later the same happened a second time.

After this a friend recommended to do a redeploay from service mode. This was sucessfull, after the redeploy the map began to download again. We let it download, it tool almost 24 hours to download and install the map (wifi and internet speed was not limited and >100Mbit availible). The MCU worked fine and i did few drives that day without any issues.

Next day started with a black screen on MCU, after reset by roll buttons it came up and hanged after a minute or two.

Removed the MCU and send into service to check all possible things.
Both eMMC chips, filesystems and NOR chip are in good condition. Done backups. One filesystem corruption was repaired. The MCU still remains black screen.

Will reinstall the MCU tomorrow and bring the car to Tesla SC for repair.

There is no microSD card in the slot.

Any ideas?

Removed the MCU and send into service to check all possible things.
Both eMMC chips, filesystems and NOR chip are in good condition. Done backups. One filesystem corruption was repaired. The MCU still remains black screen.

I wonder where you sent your MCU to? Tesla will not handle a disassembled MCU, and a respected 3rd party repair shop would have been able to get your MCU working again, or at least diagnose what the problem was exactly...

Did they check the mtd7 partition on the nor chip for corruption? My guess is that the failcount bit is set for both boot banks, therefor resulting in a Tegra that will boot only to RECOVERY mode, resulting in a black screen/non functional MCU.

There is no microSD card in the slot.

Newer generation Tegra MCU's (usually called MCU1.5) indeed have a 16GB EMMC on the MCU mainboard instead of a MicroSD card in the slot. These EMMC's can fail as well (as we all know from the Tegra VCM boards what can happen).
In that case the easiest solution is to put a MicroSD card in the slot and edit the symlink on the filesystem to point to the SD instead of MMC, therby omitting the onboard EMMC.

• Helpful
Reactions: oaito
Just a curiosity. The mcu-2 system is so vastly superior to the MCU-1 I don't know why people don't just pay the $1,500 to $2,500 to get it done. Is it not available in Poland and other European countries?

Like I say, just curious. To each his own.
Sure it is availible for upgrade, but first at least two month wait time from now. Second, it is not cheap. Third, as it's a 75D, we have only a few SuC around so longer trips are still a pain, many places reachable only with 50kW CCS (it comes out 40kW for this battery voltage). Fourth, cybertruck is ordered so lets wait some time, it will show if i decide to change it to MCU2 or switch to an MS100D for example.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
In that case the easiest solution is to put a MicroSD card in the slot and edit the symlink on the filesystem to point to the SD instead of MMC, therby omitting the onboard EMMC.

Is it possible to do without rooting?

I have the same issue. MX 2016 has been trying to install EU-2021.8-12875 update for two weeks.. It loads to 100% and actually looks like it is updating it, but then reverts to old 2019 maps. So I assume the newly written sqfs partition is corrupted.

I checked and there is no MicroSD. I installed a card there and now I need someone to edit the symlink.. Has anyone successfully convinced Service center to do it?

This is crazy because 2 weeks ago i got my nav card replaced. This issue started showing up right after! A mobile tech is comming to check it out for free and hopefjlly fix it. My glove box also does not open now after i got my car back for this service...

Will they give me a new mcu free?

Either way im going to save this thread so i can show the mobile tech guy

Thanks

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
This is crazy because 2 weeks ago i got my nav card replaced. This issue started showing up right after! A mobile tech is comming to check it out for free and hopefjlly fix it. My glove box also does not open now after i got my car back for this service...

Will they give me a new mcu free?

Either way im going to save this thread so i can show the mobile tech guy

Thanks
The glove box issue is for sure the connector of the button or opener is not in place - thay need to be removed for access mcu.