Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1: Black center screen / mcu failure caused by a faulty navigation MicroSD card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's great! Curious, did you pull the entire MCU out of the dash or do the HVAC duct hack? Is it bad to remove the MCU? I tried watching a few YT videos but most of them require removing both of the dash trim etc. I'm pretty handy but a bit intimidated with all those clips etc. and something breaking.
I did remove all of the dash trim to access the MCU, but it is not necessary to disconnect all of the cables. It will rotate forward enough to have clear access to the SD card slot. The best YT video to do this is from Electrified Garage -

Im guessing that coping micro SD clone of maps "navmicrosd_EU-2019.20-10482.bin" that Luke provided to new micro SD card is not enough.. I did that did not help. It shows that my system up to date. And not downloading any new maps. I never used Linux before so i have no idea what taking about runnig script on it. But that what i did not try

Better writing. It would be better for most readers if someone would write down a good complete instruction text with describing the process without referring to all the short cut words.
A plain "How and Why to change the MCU1 SD card for dumbo's".
This way the article about this problem would not need so many pages. I'll probably change mine soon but have to work through this whole number of pages to get the complete picture.

Reactions: shawndh1
Allright, here is my experience from this adventure. Last week I wanted to use my navigation but it kept loading and finally this error popped up:

View attachment 667561

So because of this topic I knew the time has come to replace the microSD. I never replaced the SD card for the update buffering before so I was going to replace that also (that's why I removed the whole motherboard instead of using just pliers for the microSD.)

View attachment 667570

Picture of the microSD card I used (14.83gb) next to the original card:

View attachment 667564

View attachment 667566

First I tried to bitcopy the old microSD but without zero success, I tried putting it in the freezer and then got stuck on 55% and with no partitions on the new microSD card so no luck for me this time...

Tried to run Loek his script on 'Ubuntu for windows' but not sure if it was my skills or the program but it didn't worked out so I tried a fresh install of Ubuntu on a laptop and after some assistance I got it running:

View attachment 667569

Leftovers are a fresh microSD and 2 Linux partitions so good to go!

Installed everything back and power on.

Tried to use the navigation while connected to wifi and after a few tries it started to download the maps:

View attachment 667572

So I'm happy that it worked out finally. Many thanks @LuckyLuke for sharing this info and creating this script.
So if I understand correctly the process would be as follows? Install ubuntu on your computer, use a new SDcard and format this in two partitions within ubuntu, then run the nav_SDcard_format.sh file and insert the SDcard back into the MU1 and your good to go? Or is the nav_SDcard_format.sh file the actual partitioning process of the SDcard?

So if I understand correctly the process would be as follows? Install ubuntu on your computer, use a new SDcard and format this in two partitions within ubuntu, then run the nav_SDcard_format.sh file and insert the SDcard back into the MU1 and your good to go? Or is the nav_SDcard_format.sh file the actual partitioning process of the SDcard?
The nav_SDcard_format.sh script will create the 2 partitions for you

Will the new SDcard (which is correctly formatted) search for a new database on the tesla server or does it need an old database to begin with? Are there any other files which should be on the SDcard besides a navigation database?

My SD card failed while downloading an updated map. Once I installed a new card formatted by nav_SDcard_format.sh it started a download of the new map automatically. Once it finished downloading it said it was ready but navigation didn't start working until the next morning. There is some sort of processing it needs to do before navigation works again.

If your car is not due for a map update I don't know if a blank card will trigger a download or not. You may have to call Tesla and have them push a map update.

Where is this magic nav_SDcard_format.sh script I see referenced throughout this thread?

It was posted a while back so I think luckyluke is ok with me reposting it. To be clear: This is not my work, it was made by luckyluke.

Note: I had to add ".txt" to the filename so the forum accepted the attachment. You should remove ".txt" before using.

Attachments

• nav-sdcard-format.sh.txt
    4.1 KB · Views: 90
You can probably do 2x 16 GB but it doesn't make a difference, only 2x 8GB will be used. Maps are in the squashfs file format which is a compressed read-only format. Once maps are deployed on the card they will always be in a 8 GB image.

You can probably do 2x 16 GB but it doesn't make a difference, only 2x 8GB will be used. Maps are in the squashfs file format which is a compressed read-only format. Once maps are deployed on the card they will always be in a 8 GB image.
Maybe an ignorant question but does that mean that the sdcard is reconfigured to 2x 8GB after it has been formatted as a 2x 16GB by Tesla? I formatted a 32GB sdcard as a 2x 8 GB and tried to put the nav file onto it but the nav file is 15 GB so it is not possible to transfer it to the sdcard. So I guess I'll have to dowload the nav file by the car's wifi onto the sdcard.

Oke for all of you who want to make your own SDcard for your 2013 tesla S.

1. Get hold of a laptop or windows PC.
2. Download Ubuntu (= Linux Operating system) (Ubuntu-22.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso from internet) and burn the Ubuntu iso file to a USB stick of minimum 20 GB or so (I did it on a 128GB USB. For this I used Rufus-3.4.exe which I downloaded from internet. This way Ubuntu USB becomes bootable as a startup disc.
3. Install Ubuntu on the laptop (start-up your PC while holding ESC and POWER button on the laptop and select in BIOS Ubuntu install. (You can also run it directly of the USB stick if you want.)
4. Give Ubuntu around 20 GB disk space and select the limited instead of the full version.
download the nav-sdcard-format.sh file (see message #27 in this topic) in Ubuntu and place it on the desktop. (remove the .txt extension)
5. Place a (new) 16 or 32 GB SDcard in the slot.
6. Open "show applications" (lower left corner of the main screen) then "Utilities" then "discs"
In the left window you see your discs installed. Most likely you'll see "SDcard ReaderSD32G" (32 GB in my case)
7. Format partition (select left wheel sign direclty below the volumes bar) into EXT4 Linux
8. Once partitioned into a linux partition you'll see Device /dev/mmcblk0 which is the path and name to the SDcard.
Partition type should now be Linux
9. Next is to check if the nav-sdcard-format.sh file is executable otherwise you get the "command not found" message every time you try to run it in the Terminal app.
10. Open FILES app and check in the desktop directory the nav-sdcard-format.sh file and right click. Go to Properties and change the PERMISSION to "read and write" and select "allow executing file as program".
11. Open "terminal" in the Ubuntu applications app.
Type the following command behind the $ sign: sudo ./nav-sdcard-format.sh
12 Now a password will be asked which is the same as the general password for your Ubuntu account when you startup Ubuntu. While typing the password the cursor will not move but the program will accept the password!
13. Hit enter and your in business!
14 after the script is performed go back to "show applications", "Utilities", "discs" and you'll see your SDcard partitioned with 2x 7,9 GB.

Took me 2 days to figure this out as a complete Linux Dummy. Hope others can do it faster.

• Informative
Reactions: Gtech and Krash
It was posted a while back so I think luckyluke is ok with me reposting it. To be clear: This is not my work, it was made by luckyluke.

Note: I had to add ".txt" to the filename so the forum accepted the attachment. You should remove ".txt" before using.
Thanks - this is as pretty straightforward - create 2 partitions and format as ext4. No sure I follow the rational for the "touch empty.txt" at the end.