Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 / Bluetooth / Text command issues after recent updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's great that my 2015 MS gets updates, it's a better car than when I got it!
This is the first time I have noticed significant, and irritating degradation - and wish there was a simple "Revert to prior firmware" option.

Issue one. When they added Priority Device to the phone setup, all our phones stopped automatically connecting when you get in the car. We have iPhone (X/iOS13) and Android(MotoZ4/Android 10) - both do not auto-connect any more unless you set one of them to Priority device - in which case it will when present. We've tried forget, and repairing - just does not work anymore.

That was annoying - you only remember once you get the incoming call and realize the phone is not connected ...

Issue two. It seems the latest update has added to my frustration. When I DO remember to connect my Moto, and attempt to use text I get "Text requires iOS13/Android 9 or later" ... yeah, okay - well I've got that thanks!

I did not find these issues searching, is this a special MCU1 / 2020.48.37.2 combination issues or others seeing either or both of these issues?

Any pointers to fix much appreciated!

It's great that my 2015 MS gets updates, it's a better car than when I got it!
This is the first time I have noticed significant, and irritating degradation - and wish there was a simple "Revert to prior firmware" option.

Issue one. When they added Priority Device to the phone setup, all our phones stopped automatically connecting when you get in the car. We have iPhone (X/iOS13) and Android(MotoZ4/Android 10) - both do not auto-connect any more unless you set one of them to Priority device - in which case it will when present. We've tried forget, and repairing - just does not work anymore.

That was annoying - you only remember once you get the incoming call and realize the phone is not connected ...

Issue two. It seems the latest update has added to my frustration. When I DO remember to connect my Moto, and attempt to use text I get "Text requires iOS13/Android 9 or later" ... yeah, okay - well I've got that thanks!

I did not find these issues searching, is this a special MCU1 / 2020.48.37.2 combination issues or others seeing either or both of these issues?

Any pointers to fix much appreciated!
I'm running the same FW on MCU1. I haven't had any Bluetooth issues but did notice some slow downs once I upgraded to this version. I did a full hard reset a couple days ago and noticed a vast improvement in response with my MCU. I can even use the voice features without waiting a few minutes for the car to respond.

May be a silly question but when you "forgot" the devices, did you do it both on the phone and in the car software? If so, I would recommend deleting both again, do a hard reset, then re-add the phones for Bluetooth connection.

Hope this helps!

I'm running the same FW on MCU1. I haven't had any Bluetooth issues but did notice some slow downs once I upgraded to this version. I did a full hard reset a couple days ago and noticed a vast improvement in response with my MCU. I can even use the voice features without waiting a few minutes for the car to respond.

May be a silly question but when you "forgot" the devices, did you do it both on the phone and in the car software? If so, I would recommend deleting both again, do a hard reset, then re-add the phones for Bluetooth connection.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the suggestions. I did forget both ends, but have not done a hard reset, will try that. Thanks for the suggestions and confirmation it's working for you.

Just a follow up. I recently had the MCU2 upgrade performed and tadaaa I got the same message about my phone not having the right version for text messaging. This never happened on my mcu1.
after a few delete and repairing, it is now almost ok. I still cannot send new messages, but receiving and responding works.

Reactions: hcdavis3
More info on my "Text message" issue:

When I try to send to someone "uniquely identifiable" in my contact list it fails: I see the car understood my command, it opens the "text messaging" application, as I see the menu slide into the IC, but then it slides out immediately and nothing happens.
On the other hand, when I try to send to someone not "uniquely identifiable" in my contact list, it works.
Not uniquely identifiable means the name given has multiple possibilities and the interface asks me who I mean. example: "text John" -> say I have "John Lennon" and "John Wayne" in my contacts, so it will ask me which one.

I can reproduce this with my phone and wifey's (iPhone 7 & XR)

SeC relayed to "remote" team (with video), but no reply yet.