Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 Bricked After EMMC replacement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When was the work done? Do you know for a fact the board was replaced with the new 64gb chip, not just an old 8gb one?

Why have you not made a warranty claim on the work done? That should get you to the front of the line

If your car is in good shape, maybe just go MCU2.

If you think your car is depreciating now, just wait until you get a replacement!

Just a note there are apparently two different series or builds of MCU1 really old cars such as mine (a 2012) VIN number 162 Signature had an emmc failure but the 64 GB daughter board replacement could not be done because my MCU1 was original. My only option was to replace the original daughter board with another 8 GB unit or replace the entire MCU with the upgrade which I did not want because I didn't want to lose my radios AM / FM and XM.

There is a path forward to maintain your radios with the current upgrade but that didn't exist at the time so I opted to repair my existing MCU and upgrade to LTE since I was still running 3G at the time. We'll see how that works out.

@sadmcu Sorry for the late reply, just stumbled on this thread by accident. I have done hundreds of Tegra repairs/replacements, and I know from experience that these so called FPGA errors can sometimes occur when the Tegra module is not seated correctly in its socket. This might or might not be the case in your car but maybe it is worth checking this out before replacing the entire MCU.
If it indeed is then it will be solved when you remove the Tegra module, clean its contact points with some IPA and insert the module back in the MCU.

@sadmcu Sorry for the late reply, just stumbled on this thread by accident. I have done hundreds of Tegra repairs/replacements, and I know from experience that these so called FPGA errors can sometimes occur when the Tegra module is not seated correctly in its socket. This might or might not be the case in your car but maybe it is worth checking this out before replacing the entire MCU.
If it indeed is then it will be solved when you remove the Tegra module, clean its contact points with some IPA and insert the module back in the MCU.
They replaced it with a new Terra and it’s working perfectly now. I’m glad I didn’t pay for a replacement and stuck to my guns about this being Tesla’s responsibility . Now I just need to figure out how to fix the glue leaking on my front screen. Any suggestions?

They replaced it with a new Terra and it’s working perfectly now. I’m glad I didn’t pay for a replacement and stuck to my guns about this being Tesla’s responsibility . Now I just need to figure out how to fix the glue leaking on my front screen. Any suggestions?
There are several threads here about DYI repair, but it is kinda messy. Basically involves removing the plastic film and adhesive from the IC.

Might be easier to replace with a used unit.

There are several threads here about DYI repair, but it is kinda messy. Basically involves removing the plastic film and adhesive from the IC.

Might be easier to replace with a used unit.
I have replaced my IC with a used one and it's not plug and play, the software needs to be updated.

I know this is beating a dead horse and this subject has been covered in numerous threads. As a long time lurker I haven't posted until now, but I'm kind of at a loss about this situation.

I had been having issues in my 2012 Model S with the touchscreen glitching or acting up (no 3g/connectivity, static lines, not reacting to touch, etc.) Took the car to Tesla service center and paid out of pocket for the daughter board replacement, which was advised at the time (still awaiting refund..)

After the daughter board was replaced, the screen became almost bricked up. It began entirely blanking out. It started happening 2 weeks after the replacement, and now is an almost daily occurrence. My belief is that this may have occurred after the daughterboard was replaced.

I took it to Tesla and they said it doesn't have to do with the recall and the motherboard showed signs of failure and the only way to fix it is to go with the $1500 mcu replacement.
I filed a report with the NHTSA, because i've been unable to use my turn signals giving me road anxiety, or have temperature controls which has been very difficult this cold winter.

Possibly moot point in posting this, but I don't want to spend $1500 on my already depreciating vehicle, for something that 1. is a defect and related to the recall/safety issue, 2. happened perhaps as an effect of the daughterboard replacement.

Has anyone had something similar happen after replacing the EMMC? Is there anyway to have Tesla cover this, or would doing so just prove they are the responsible party which is why they are refusing to?
Just got my 2013 done a couple of weeks ago. Problems connecting to 3G and waking the car from the app. Was working perfectly before.

Just to chime in here as having some of the same problems. I have a 2014 S (P85D) and just had her into the service center to replace per the recall as prompted by the NTSB:

MSX VCM, MCU, TEGRA
DAUGHTER BOARD REV-B/C -
PROVISIONED (64 GB) -
REMANUFACTURED(2728212-
S0-B)

It could be the settling process but the touchscreen seems far less responsive than it was before they replaced the part - sometimes sections won't respond and toggles for switches are hard to toggle. My wife had an incident today when the touchscreen was completely unresponsive and had to do the steering-wheel reboot. I also had the 3G radio not work until/unless reboot, yet it seems to be working fine now.

I just had a similar issue with my car. The main screen locked up and when I reboot, it reboots to the backup camera. I cannot get it to turn back on just reboot back to backup camera.

I had the car scheduled for recall EMMC work next week. Tesla has it now and is working on correcting the issue. So far it appears like they are treating this as a warranty job. I'll let you know if anything changes.

I just had a similar issue with my car. The main screen locked up and when I reboot, it reboots to the backup camera. I cannot get it to turn back on just reboot back to backup camera.

I had the car scheduled for recall EMMC work next week. Tesla has it now and is working on correcting the issue. So far it appears like they are treating this as a warranty job. I'll let you know if anything changes.

Full time backup camera is the "fail-safe" mode it goes in to when the eMMC fails. So it is most likely just the failed eMMC which should be covered as part of the recall.

Mine was indeed just the EMMC failure. They replaced it and everything appears to be working except trying to reprogram my garage door opener. Anyone else have any issues after the repair? Any chance they are related?

I know this is beating a dead horse and this subject has been covered in numerous threads. As a long time lurker I haven't posted until now, but I'm kind of at a loss about this situation.

I had been having issues in my 2012 Model S with the touchscreen glitching or acting up (no 3g/connectivity, static lines, not reacting to touch, etc.) Took the car to Tesla service center and paid out of pocket for the daughter board replacement, which was advised at the time (still awaiting refund..)

After the daughter board was replaced, the screen became almost bricked up. It began entirely blanking out. It started happening 2 weeks after the replacement, and now is an almost daily occurrence. My belief is that this may have occurred after the daughterboard was replaced.

I took it to Tesla and they said it doesn't have to do with the recall and the motherboard showed signs of failure and the only way to fix it is to go with the $1500 mcu replacement.
I filed a report with the NHTSA, because i've been unable to use my turn signals giving me road anxiety, or have temperature controls which has been very difficult this cold winter.

Possibly moot point in posting this, but I don't want to spend $1500 on my already depreciating vehicle, for something that 1. is a defect and related to the recall/safety issue, 2. happened perhaps as an effect of the daughterboard replacement.

Has anyone had something similar happen after replacing the EMMC? Is there anyway to have Tesla cover this, or would doing so just prove they are the responsible party which is why they are refusing to?
This just happened to me today! My story pretty much the same… except I wasn’t having too many problems until after the replacement. 1 month after the recall replacement of the MCU I lost all maps. Update couldn’t load and Tesla Service couldn’t push it through so they had me schedule an appointment. My appointment was for this Friday but today when the MCU completely died I was a few blocks away from TSC so I drove over.

They had no record of my appointment and turned me away to come back in 2 weeks…
Can’t navigate
Can’t control climate
Can’t listen to music
Can’t get into my house
Can’t get service from the Service Center
Your online glitches really screwed up my schedule!!!
Yeah I’m frustrated!

2013 MS 60 w/extended warranty (fortunately)

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
This just happened to me today! My story pretty much the same… except I wasn’t having too many problems until after the replacement. 1 month after the recall replacement of the MCU I lost all maps. Update couldn’t load and Tesla Service couldn’t push it through so they had me schedule an appointment. My appointment was for this Friday but today when the MCU completely died I was a few blocks away from TSC so I drove over.

They had no record of my appointment and turned me away to come back in 2 weeks…

Yeah I’m frustrated!

2013 MS 60 w/extended warranty (fortunately)

Post in thread 'Problem with FPGA' Problem with FPGA

Apparently his problems were resolved sometime ago.

2013 85S 94,000 miles

Had the same problems.
Order of events:
1. Service center wiped the memory. That didn’t help.
2: Then the “Daughter board” was replaced, at no cost. That also didn’t help.
3. I paid $1,800.00 to have the MCU upgraded. It was worth it for me. My car is in flawless condition. EVERY glitch resolved! And there were many.
It’s like I have a new car.
Tesla really should consider making this right at no cost (or lower cost) for early adopters. I typically keep a car for 15 years.