Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 Browser with Mars vs Drawing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an owner with a MCU1 that currently has an inoperable browser given the always present map display that eats up too much CPU, having the drawing app cover it up has been a great solution to get the browser working as desired. I did discover recently though that having the Mars display also greatly reduces CPU load and thus lets the browser work as desired. I then discovered that if you use either your phone or voice commands to set a destination (i.e. not the screen), it'll set your navigation/route but will keep the mars background!

It's a tad bit more work to set your destination/navigation, but you get a snazzy mars background and still have your turn by turn display on the HUD as well as the details on the main screen, and more importantly a working browser!

Course, hopefully someday we'll see some sort of optimization for this.... But it seems all of us MCU1 owners are pretty far down on the totem pole in terms of future software development.

• Informative
Reactions: tranzndance
You don’t necessary need to use Mars view.
The worst view is the vector street views if you switch to satellite view, it will improve performance. Performance will further improve if you disable auto follow on the map as it doesn’t have to redraw.
Great tip. I’ll try that in the morning. I prefer satellite view typically anyway.
But “auto follow”?
Not sure I know what that is? Do you mean auto zoom?