Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla departing:
903FF92C-1B97-4189-BF6F-AC76CE659CFF.jpeg

I was expecting a flatbed. The driver put dollies under the front tires.

I checked the 12V battery voltage this morning l, and it’s 12.6 V which is normal. The driver came with a 12V jump pack but no other tech to unlock the parking brakes.

Update: I finally heard back from the SC, and after TWO DAYS of , they’re replacing the MCU1 daughter card today.

Other than a physical wiring issue, how in the hell can an electrical problem on these vehicles take TWO DAYS to troubleshoot?

Reactions: forkee
Do they replace 12V batteries under warranty? I'm about to pick up my '17 75D tomorrow and wanted to request that

i think the 12v has it's own warranty, not covered by the 2 or 4 year bumper to bumper. if you purchased your car within a year or just had it replaced less than a year ago, they will not charge you for a new one

Update: I finally heard back from the SC, and after TWO DAYS of , they’re replacing the MCU1 daughter card today.

Other than a physical wiring issue, how in the hell can an electrical problem on these vehicles take TWO DAYS to troubleshoot?

they are pretty lazy sometimes. they will look for the cheapest, fastest, and easiest (often times wrong) diagnosis and roll with it. 2 days actually isn't bad. i had to bring mine in 3 times to get them to finally fix my AC. the first time they gave it back because their computer ran some tests and found nothing wrong. i drove 3 miles and immediate knew they didn't even bother testing it when i still had humid heat coming through the vents. i brought it right back. then the 2nd time they replaced some rings and i guess they thought that was the issue but didn't even bother verifying it. driving it home i felt the heat again. i didn't have time to bring it back so waited 3 weeks to reschedule. no AC was torture in the summer heat. the 3rd time i brought it in, they sent me a text after having it a couple days saying their computer reported nothing wrong. i told them to actually DRIVE it for a couple miles and stop relying on the computer diagnostics. finally i guess they verified it because they whipped out some UV light and found the problem.

Here are their notes
1st Visit (08/11/2020) - NOT FIXED
Technician was unable to duplicate the customer's concern during this service visit. Thermal system check performed and verified a/c components to be working as designed.

2nd visit - (08/17/2020) - NOT FIXED
Tech review logs and found both pressure sensors faulting indicating possible air in the system. evacuated system and found refrigerant at .479 kg when spec is between .960 - .980 kg. inspected ac lines and valves for leaks and fount it coming from the rear TXV valve behind right rear tire. removed line and found o ring cut. removed and replaced both o rings. vacuum and leak test, recharged. ran thermal test, function tested with test drive, issue did not return.

3rd visit - (09/11/2020) - FIXED
At this time the technician performed a thermal system test and inspected for a/c system leaks using the specified UV light and goggles. The technician found that the front discharge pressure sensor wires needed to be repaired and the low side a/c hose going to the rear expansion valve was leaking at a crimp on the end portion of the a/c hose. The technician removed and replaced the rear a/c high side and low side hoses. The dessicant bag was also removed, inspected and replaced, no metal debris found at this time. The technician performed a validation test drive after refilling the system and performing and vacuum/ leak test, the vehicle ac is now operating as designed.

if they put in just a little bit more effort in the first place, they could have fixed it early on instead of taking the shortcut approach and disregarding it because the computer said everything would be fine.

Another update: I had submitted a request about two weeks ago thru the Tesla app for the MCU2 upgrade, and the only answer I received was that availability was limited & there was a 30-60 day wait.

I brought this up with the service advisor today, and there was NO record in their system that I had ordered the upgrade. Very disappointing. I made a new order over the phone with the advisor, and he said they would have the parts in two weeks.

So, if someone else signs up for the MCU2 upgrade thru the Tesla app, call your service center & confirm that the order is being processed.

• Helpful
Reactions: DSolie
Update, day 9: after no response to my text message for status this morning, I called the SC. They’ve been trying to install the new daughter card in my MCU for two days & have failed. That was Wednesday & Thursday. They’re now trying to get help from Engineering today (Friday) & haven’t heard back. I complained that I haven’t been getting status information.

BTW, the best time to call the Renton SC is in the morning. I’ve found that they quit answering the phone in the afternoons, and their voicemail box gets full & rejects new messages later in the day.

Final update: the SC must have finally received some new data, as I got a notification last night (Friday) that the vehicle was done. The notification said it was available Monday, but I got a text from the SC that I could get the car today (Saturday).

When I got the car, I could not connect to it with the app. After about 10 minutes working with the service advisor, I blew away and re-downloaded the app & the vehicle connected with the app. ??? The vehicle remembered the prior-connected cell phones but forgot the profiles. The next weirdness was that the vehicle would not play music from my phone via Bluetooth. My iPhone (iOS 14) was making a connection with the vehicle, I could make a call & hear the phone thru the vehicle, but no music. My wife’s older iPhone with an older version of iOS worked perfectly. I called Apple, we did some troubleshooting without fixing the problem, then I tried playing a YouTube video on my phone. The sound with the video played thru the vehicle, and after that my iPhone worked fine in the car.

I think I’ve had enough tech for one day. I now have a message to make an appointment for the MCU2 install.

Final update: the SC must have finally received some new data, as I got a notification last night (Friday) that the vehicle was done. The notification said it was available Monday, but I got a text from the SC that I could get the car today (Saturday).

When I got the car, I could not connect to it with the app. After about 10 minutes working with the service advisor, I blew away and re-downloaded the app & the vehicle connected with the app. ??? The vehicle remembered the prior-connected cell phones but forgot the profiles. The next weirdness was that the vehicle would not play music from my phone via Bluetooth. My iPhone (iOS 14) was making a connection with the vehicle, I could make a call & hear the phone thru the vehicle, but no music. My wife’s older iPhone with an older version of iOS worked perfectly. I called Apple, we did some troubleshooting without fixing the problem, then I tried playing a YouTube video on my phone. The sound with the video played thru the vehicle, and after that my iPhone worked fine in the car.

I think I’ve had enough tech for one day. I now have a message to make an appointment for the MCU2 install.
@Padelford , after replacing my eMMC card (MCU 1) I had a few minor glitches like you describe. A double thumb wheel reset cleared them right up and all previous settings were still set. May be worth a try if you haven't already.
This was quite a saga for you. I'm glad you're back up and running.

@Padelford , after replacing my eMMC card (MCU 1) I had a few minor glitches like you describe. A double thumb wheel reset cleared them right up and all previous settings were still set. May be worth a try if you haven't already.
This was quite a saga for you. I'm glad you're back up and running.

> 2 double-thumb wheel reboots didn’t fix the music glitch. Rebooting both the car & iPhone plus purging the Bluetooth link from both systems also didn’t seem to fix it. For whatever the reason, I’m glad playing the YouTube video kick-started the link. iOS 14 played some significant role in the problem.

FWIW- We had a similar problem with our MCU1 on our 2015 S- The reason it takes them some time to troubleshoot it, the factory insists on the tech trying to recover the eMMC memory device - which takes hours and hours before it finally gives up and they then can get permission to swap out the daughter card- In our case they had the car 5 days- but in their defense, that week was the one where the servers all crashed for a day- so it could have been done in 4 days instead of 5. When we got it there were a few glitches with the iPhone interface, but a reboot cleared that up except for the one that said "car in service" which finally cleared a few days later- I think they didn't do the paperwork at their end right away, and the paperwork triggers the clearing of the "car in service " message in the app. We did loose all the driver profiles, trip computer readings, Homelink, etc. but our eMMC was shot. We've had it back a couple of weeks now and all is good.

Epilog: MY VEHICLE NOW READS SPEED LIMIT SIGNS! It did not before the daughter card swap. I just went for a drive & noticed that the speed limit sign on the left of the drive path on the driver display was changing speed limits as the posted signs changed, and the changes seemed to be below the resolution of GPS (about 25 ft). I drove thru an intersection I had tested before my MCU died but after I got HW3, in which the speed limit changes across the intersection from 30 MPH to 25 MPH. On the first try, the speed limit sign in the display stayed at 30 MPH as I went thru the intersection and passed the 25 MPH sign. Now, the display speed limit sign changes as I pass the 25 MPH sign.

Reactions: DSolie