Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 dash cam videos: fixed going to MCU2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

2017 S100D MCU1, HW3:
For the last year or so, I've noticed my dash cam videos have gotten worse - more pixelation/stuttering/artifacts than the previous year.
If the Tesla is parked, or if I'm sitting at a stop light, the videos are fine. The other cars moving in the videos show just fine.
But, when the Tesla is being driven I get all of the above issues.
I've tried 3 different USB sticks, including a USB 3.0 128gb PNY (my main USB used for dash cam) and all 3 USBs show the same video quality. I didn't notice a big change in video quality when I went from HW2.5 to HW3 (2 weeks ago).

What I'm wondering is if anyone who had similar video issues with their MCU1 that (hopefully) got better when they updated to MCU2 (Infotainment Upgrade)? I'm thinking of doing the upgrade and hoping that will solve my video issues.

Thanks!

Reactions: Shaz
After I did my Infotainment Upgrade, the recordings did get better. the USB port is driven off the MCU, so with the old legacy and EOL MCU1 it's possible that some artifacts while writing the file are occurring.

I think with the more recent 2020.24.6.x, it is getting better for MCU2 owners.

Hello,

2017 S100D MCU1, HW3:
For the last year or so, I've noticed my dash cam videos have gotten worse - more pixelation/stuttering/artifacts than the previous year.
If the Tesla is parked, or if I'm sitting at a stop light, the videos are fine. The other cars moving in the videos show just fine.
But, when the Tesla is being driven I get all of the above issues.
I've tried 3 different USB sticks, including a USB 3.0 128gb PNY (my main USB used for dash cam) and all 3 USBs show the same video quality. I didn't notice a big change in video quality when I went from HW2.5 to HW3 (2 weeks ago).

What I'm wondering is if anyone who had similar video issues with their MCU1 that (hopefully) got better when they updated to MCU2 (Infotainment Upgrade)? I'm thinking of doing the upgrade and hoping that will solve my video issues.

Thanks!
Got my HW 3 upgrade this month and was looking forward to the dashcam feature since I am on MCU 1 and HW 2. After plugging in a hard drive I'm a bit disappointed with the quality as well. I get the exact same thing where it is pixelated when moving but clear when not moving. Hopefully a software update could fix it ...but I'm not holding my breathe...I have a feeling it may need MCU 2 since it's more powerful...who knows..

Got my HW 3 upgrade this month and was looking forward to the dashcam feature since I am on MCU 1 and HW 2. After plugging in a hard drive I'm a bit disappointed with the quality as well. I get the exact same thing where it is pixelated when moving but clear when not moving. Hopefully a software update could fix it ...but I'm not holding my breathe...I have a feeling it may need MCU 2 since it's more powerful...who knows..

I had the same issue you're describing with my AP2.5 on MCU/1, and once I went ahead with the Infotainment Upgrade and got both MCU/2, IC2 and HW3, I don't have that issue. No pixelation in my videos in all of the cameras it is able to record... plus with MCU/2, I also get the new side repeater live camera view on reversing with the latest software update that came out yesterday.

• Informative
I had the same issue you're describing with my AP2.5 on MCU/1, and once I went ahead with the Infotainment Upgrade and got both MCU/2, IC2 and HW3, I don't have that issue. No pixelation in my videos in all of the cameras it is able to record... plus with MCU/2, I also get the new side repeater live camera view on reversing with the latest software update that came out yesterday.

Thanks for the info, that's good to know. I can live with what I have now, gonna run it to the ground and wait until it breaks...which seems to be the case from what I've read about MCU 1's lol.

I recently had my 2017 Model S hardware updated to 3.0 with MCU 1. Saved dash cam and sentry recordings run for about 5-10 seconds then the frame freezes, pixelates and thats it for the clip. Fairly useless.

I recently had my 2017 Model S hardware updated to 3.0 with MCU 1. Saved dash cam and sentry recordings run for about 5-10 seconds then the frame freezes, pixelates and thats it for the clip. Fairly useless.
Yup...I actually gave up and bought the MCU2 upgrade...it was rebooting alot of times which is usually a sign that it's about to die. I did find that if I did not use the usb my MCU1 seemed to have performed better.

Reactions: mp0i