Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 failing or bad firmware update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_1174.jpg

So I installed 2019.24.4 firmware on July 24th. Car is last able to connect via Tesla app August 5th. Confirm by TeslaFi app down to within a mile that was the last date of any connection was made compared to what my phone screen showed. Tried variations of rebooting, logging out of app (now doesn't even show last connection), turning off car with no success. This affects both Android and IOS but Model 3 connects just fine.

Called Tesla support to which they claim they reset some settings remotely (but mobile service claims otherwise). So now I setup mobile repair appointment to work on Model 3 and throw in my issue with Model S within same appt. Mobile service guy is unable to ping or wakeup car and says it is unable to contact "mothership" so no firmware push is possible even though I have strong WiFi signal from home, and have confirmed that I'm still able to connect 4G for map services and audio streaming.

So now I've been strugging with intermittent issues with car. Wiper service mode takes like 5 minutes before they move (ongoing issue before firmware update). Consecutive random constant reboot of MCU (reboots every couple of minutes) and if I leave the car for a while, it tends to disappear then happens again at some point. This may possibly be related to the USB flash drive I've been using so it is currently removed. Can't sign in with Tesla credentials to factory reset or turn off mobile access as it will just say wrong password even though I'm positive it's correct. Mirrors will sometimes not fold indicating car door isn't locking. Garbled text on different screens like Supercharging and WiFi. When this happened on WiFi screen, I rebooted and text was normal again so possibly the charging screen will do the same although I haven't tried at this point.

I was told by mobile tech that there was a map update pushed I think it was the 30th or so that never completed. So I'm thinking that the map update could have possibly fsck'ed my car. I then ask the tech rather than push the update, can't he just hook up a computer to update. He affirms that he could but that would be considered diagnostic at that point and wouldn't be authorized to do so on the work order.

I need some additional work done on the 3 and should be coming back for a followup call. He said he would reach out to other techs and do some research and see what he can find.

So my question is does this appear to be eMMc failing in MCU or a failed update of some sort? I did ask if Tesla will do an MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade and was told yes. It would basically be a Model X MCU which would have a different wiring harness adapter. I don't know if this is true or not but I thought it was more trouble than Tesla is willing to go through even though I have heard in the past other people getting it done but I thought they put a stop to that.