Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mcu1 for mcu1 swap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

So my MCU just went out on my 2013 model s. My ideal scenario would be to buy a used mcu of the same part # and swap it out myself if it is a cheap fix.

I understand that its a good chance to just upgrade to mcu2 but thats too pricey for me at the moment.

So my question is if this mcu1 to mcu1 swap would be plug and play? Not sure what other steps would need to be taken once installed. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

Hmm... did you ever get the free MCU chip upgrade from 8 GB to 64 GB? That elimated a lot of the problems I had with the screen going black on me and could be the reason yours went out. I have a 2014 Model S 60. Switching one MCU1 for another MCU1 might be problematic if a lot of your car's data is stored on the original MCU1. I think it would be risky to try it as a Do-It-Yourself endeavor. I know how you feel about the cost issue. I'm in a similar boat where I need to upgrade my MCU1 to MCU2 because I no longer have connectivity (unless I use my phone's Mobile Hotspot for WiFi (2.4 GHz) and set "WiFi while Driving" to "ON"). My service center quoted a price of $1700 for the upgrade.

• Helpful
Reactions: buckets0fun
MCU is not plug-and-play. Not sure of all the steps needed, but Tesla's Toolbox software will be needed and I don't know if Tesla provides access in Toolbox to the key things you need to do a swap.

Also, a used MCU1 is likely to have similar problems, if not today, soon after with the eMMC. Tesla did extend the warranty on MCU1 to 8 years, 100K miles, but I suspect you're beyond that now. I'd really recommend an MCU2 retrofit. It includes two new screens, as quite a few of the early screens develop leaks, and the new screens do not have that issue (and are a higher resolution to boot).