Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 + FSD/HW3 + Tegra replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone that has the combination of MCU1 + FSD/HW3 and has had the Tegra board replaced, how is the performance so far? I'm considering sticking with MCU1, but I'm worried that about performance issues with HW3. Hoping that the Tegra board replacement will result in similar performance to MCU1 + AP2 which I currently have. Thanks for any input!

Reactions: Tesomega
For anyone that has the combination of MCU1 + FSD/HW3 and has had the Tegra board replaced, how is the performance so far? I'm considering sticking with MCU1, but I'm worried that about performance issues with HW3. Hoping that the Tegra board replacement will result in similar performance to MCU1 + AP2 which I currently have. Thanks for any input!

I have the same question.. But unable to get a concrete answer from the threads...Based on what is being said, the perfomance problems are related to compute and not storage (emmc).

I've heard MCU1 can work with FSD fine except for the poor performance.

That could be

.poor video: not acceptable for human to look at.
.extremely slower touchscreen response because MCU1 has to take on so much work given from FSD computer
.Screen frozen/crashes...

I have a 2017 Model S with HW3 and a relatively new MCU1. Since the HW3 upgrade reboot time is extremely slow, about 5 minutes for all but navigation and up to 15 minutes if you are navigating somewhere. The MCU also crashes every few hours on long drives. Not sure if the crashes are due to navigation which I am using on long drives. No issues around town. Response for other media interactions are the same as before HW3.

spending money on getting the MCU1 to work like it did when it was new is spending good money after bad
Going to be different for everyone, but to me $400 to have something reliable is much better than dropping just under $3k (once fm radio available) on a 3.5 year old car. It may make the interface feel better, but it still drives the same, has the same range & suspension.

plus, if they eventually have a recall I get my $ back.

I've had it done. MCU1+FSD Computer+Tegra emmc replacement.

Read my comments around... but basically in a nutshell:

- Much better than when the eMMC was failing
- Does not crash, freeze, or stutter
- Not nearly as good as MCU2

So, MCU2 > MCU1 w/replaced eMMC > MCU1 with failing eMMC

If I didn't have 82,000 miles on my car and a degraded battery, I would probably have ponied up for the MCU2 upgrade (which actually came out just after I sent in my eMMC for replacement). I don't plan to keep my car that much longer (although my opinion changes daily), so I couldn't justify the $2500 on a car that I wouldn't see a return on the investment.

You get what you pay for. I've posted a few videos of it in action on here... let me know if you cannot find them.

Now if they come out with iHeartRadio on the MCU2 only, there is a small chance I'd upgrade anyway. I don't know...

Reactions: brkaus
I have this combo on my 2017 now and I haven’t experienced any of the crashes yet, but oof… everything on the MCU has lag/delay. It’s bearable, but annoying (I had a 2018 Model 3 before this and took the MCU2 speed and features for granted). That said, for now it’s bearable to me. Maps take a second to catch up, so do touchscreen taps, voice commands take some patience…But I get TeslaCam (and thus a functional Sentry mode), keep my FM tuner and have the FSD computer. Main reason I’m still considering getting MCU2 is to have TeslaCam also record my rearview camera. Response time is a 2nd priority for me.